ePump for the eTires on my eMTB

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
A couple days ago a video popped up on my YouTube feed. It was a review of a battery powered tire pump that fits in the palm of your hand. The reviewer is a respected influencer in this area, but I didn't care because I was happy with the pump I have, a OneUp EDC.

Much of my riding is bareback: No Camelbak, no hip pack. I enjoy the freedom. On these rides I carry a water bottle in the downtube-mounted cage. Tools are in a OneUp EDC tool kit in the steerer tube. My pump is a OneUp EDC, as well. It holds a CO2 cartridge and a small plug kit. It's GREAT to ride without the burden of a pack. I love this setup.

I can't mount the EDC pump in the normal configuration, as my downtube is too wide. This bike, however, has mounting screws on the bottom side of the top tube. I mounted the OneUP EDC Pump Bracket there. It seemed to work fine... until yesterday.

I was flying down a particularly chunky rock garden when I heard a BANG! CRASH! I thought I must have kicked up an unusually large boulder. I looked down, and my pump was missing. Uh, oh. I turned around, and my pump was about 50 feet back. It turns out, the bracket snapped under the repeated stress of banging down the rock gardens. It's a phenomenon known to OneUp, but they claim the brackets break from riders' knee pads. But I wasn't wearing knee pads. The brackets just can't take the abuse of rough riding. I'd like to add that the brackets seem to work ok if you mount them on the downtube, where they're better supported.

I didn't want to order another bracket, as it would surely break again, possibly at an inopportune time. It was then that I remembered the video about the electric pump. I looked it up, and the product is called a CYCPLUS. Why not? I ordered one. It was delivered this morning. It seems to pump up tires just fine. Reported longevity seems good. I also ordered a now tool pouch that I can bolt onto the bike. The pouch will hold the CYCPLUS, a tublito, and hopefully a small plug kit. I think this will solve my problem.

I'd like to say that I'll report back on how the CYCPLUS works. But hopefully I'll never need to use it.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Have you got a picture of the new set up and how you're mounting it?
I have a One-Up pump and had to move it from the underside of the top tube to the down tube, but it does knock about a bit.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
There seems to be a few diff models, which one did you purchase?

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
Ive been looking at getting one of these for keeping in the car too

So would be interested to know which model it is too

There are plenty on Amazon, but some reviews are hit and miss

Last edited:

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Sorry for the missing pictures. It was late and I forgot to click the clicky box.

My CYCPLUS is the standard model. The fancy ones have digital readout, automatic shutoff, and longer runtime, all at the expense of size. Size is my primary concern.

I'll be carrying the pump, a tublito, and hopefully some plugs in a Pivot Mountainbox. It's a little pouch made by Topeak with Pivot-specific mounting hardware. It won't arrive until tomorrow, so pictures of that will be forthcoming.

Here's the standard Cycplus in my size 10 1/2 hand. I'm very pleased with the size.
IMG_5568.jpeg

Here's the broken OneUp bracket. I had one for years on my other bike, mounted to the downtube. This one was mounted to the underside of my top tube, and it failed after three months. OneUp offers another mounting solution for mounting in this location, but it won't work for me.
IMG_5528.jpeg

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Be interested to hear how you get on with the Cycplus, I've been considering one of these. Basic model is heavier than my current pump but the "pro" with the pressure gauge is lighter than my pump and pressure gauge added together.
My worry is that I very very rarely need the pump, I can easily go 6-12 months without using it and Li-ion batteries don't like being left fully charged and unused for this length of time. The Amazon listing for it boasts of it still having half charge after a month of "standby" but that seems like quite a big parasitic drain to me? Then again I use the gauge every ride so maybe that would be enough to keep on top of charging it? The comfort of knowing that I can keep pumping with my current pump for as long as necessary and not worry about battery or moisture killing it is pretty significant too.

Last edited:

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I would not trust an epump as my backup trail tool. Would rather carry a bunch of co2 and have a small handpump as my ladt call. The electric pumps I have tried would only be good to be kept at the car park so I can have one or two beers while it inflates a 2.6 tyre to 34 psi 😴

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
The base version on amazon sounds like it would pump up only one MTB tyre
bb.jpg

The other models have bigger batteries and say they can pump up more tyres on a full charge.
the base model doesnt even list a 29er tyre I doubt it could do 1 to 30psi

2.jpg

By Endurance obviously mean how many times it can pump to that psi so the pro max can on a single charge do 4x tyres to 120psi

That also makes me thing its cheap chinese and the battery could explode on you.
No English cmpany would say "Endurance" in that way

Roundbadge

Jan 9, 2022
Los Angeles
The base version on amazon sounds like it would pump up only one MTB tyre
View attachment 139339
The other models have bigger batteries and say they can pump up more tyres on a full charge.
the base model doesnt even list a 29er tyre I doubt it could do 1 to 30psi

View attachment 139340
By Endurance obviously mean how many times it can pump to that psi so the pro max can on a single charge do 4x tyres to 120psi

That also makes me thing its cheap chinese and the battery could explode on you.
No English cmpany would say "Endurance" in that way
I’ve pumped up two 29” downhill tires on one charge with the smallest model

Roundbadge

Jan 9, 2022
Los Angeles
idk but seems to risky too me, also something to worry about keeping charged.
I just use a tiny pump that fits in a pocket 5inch long or so, I only need enough air to reach the car park again
To each his own
It’s been 100 % reliable in the two years I’ve had it.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
It’s been 100 % reliable in the two years I’ve had it.
It's not really the reliability I question.

It's the battery having enough charge when I need it.
also I seem crap at attaching valves, half the times I need a second attempt before air will actually flow into the tyre.
I think I'll wait until battery tech moves on a bit and they are more energy dense.

I like the idea just a shame you cant have no battery and run it off the bikes lighting port or something.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles