EP801 Climbing Cadence

timo2824

Dec 27, 2023
USA
Just wondering what others usually hit for climbing and just general cadence. Riding a trail with lots of steep, rooty, and rocky climbs that I was getting hung up a lot. I accidentally double downshifted and ended up climbing at ~120rpm's. This was like unlocking another mode on my bike in trail mode. I went from getting hung up on things to being able to hop over them and was laughing out loud while on the first several climbs. Usually I was trying to stay in the 70-90 rpm range, but this motor really rewards anything above 100. Has anyone else had this experience?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You must be riding on rock or a very firm surface.

There is a short but very steep climb adjacent to my favourite trail that defeats me almost every time I attempt it. If I could get a run at it, it would be easy, but I have to approach at walking pace, so I have little momentum. It is an artificial embankment left over from World War One troop-training in trench warfare; it's mostly sand but with a century of vegetation growth on it.

I find if I generate too much torque when climbing that my rear wheel spins out. If I slow down, either by pedalling more slowly or shifting gear, I stall. I know it's a technique thing, but I just can't seem to get it right. Too dry or too wet and I can't get up it as my rear spins out. If the conditions are perfect then it depends upon my "state of leg". If I'm in top form, up I go (what on earth was the problem?). Otherwise, it's another fail.

I have tried every combination of gear and mode I can. I have tried it with saddle up, saddle down and various places in between. I have moved my weight around from front to back and around and around to no avail. I have tried various tyre pressures. I have even changed my rear tyre to a more knobbly one.

When everything goes well, it as though I never had a problem! It is really irritating. I have ridden steeper and longer stuff first time of trying, but not this bastard!

Before my arthritic knees led me to get an emtb, I used to ride up this feature on an mtb and I'd get it almost every time. It should be easier now, not harder! :eek:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles