eBike up at DyFi instead of uplift?

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Dyfi is great, but to be honest, I think more fun on an eBike than a DH rig, because there are still some flat pedaly sections.
However, you have to take the eBikes on the uplift, which I think is slower than motoring up, and less pleasant. At BPW I can do about 3000m vertical in just over 3hours on 2 batteries, whereas on a full day at Dyfi, I'm only doing 2000m.

I got in touch with them, and they have no plans for an eBike day pass. The problem is they would have to share the road with the uplift which they claim would be unsafe. The issue I have is that you have to book so far ahead for an uplift ticket that you're almost guaranteed bad weather. Instead I prefer to check the forecast the night before and just go to BPW and pay on the day.

Am I alone here, or would others like to see eBike days or an eBike pass available at Dyfi? Let me know numbers and I'll email this tread to Dyfi if I'm not the only person in the world who thinks this would be a good idea.

GeordieKenevo

May 12, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Dyfi is great, but to be honest, I think more fun on an eBike than a DH rig, because there are still some flat pedaly sections.
However, you have to take the eBikes on the uplift, which I think is slower than motoring up, and less pleasant. At BPW I can do about 3000m vertical in just over 3hours on 2 batteries, whereas on a full day at Dyfi, I'm only doing 2000m.

I got in touch with them, and they have no plans for an eBike day pass. The problem is they would have to share the road with the uplift which they claim would be unsafe. The issue I have is that you have to book so far ahead for an uplift ticket that you're almost guaranteed bad weather. Instead I prefer to check the forecast the night before and just go to BPW and pay on the day.

Am I alone here, or would others like to see eBike days or an eBike pass available at Dyfi? Let me know numbers and I'll email this tread to Dyfi if I'm not the only person in the world who thinks this would be a good idea.
I can see their point about random ebikers going up the roads. Why not just stick your ebike on the uplift if you really want to use it as I think the current price is brilliant value for the standard of tracks there anyway?

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Dyfi you can easily book within a week. Try that at BPW. On BH Monday just gone there were still places on the Thurs leading up to it.
BPW use a completely different route for Ebikes and uplift, so does FOD, there's a reason for this... it's honestly fairly apparent and exactly the reason they give. Safety.

The uplift at Dyfi COULD techincally use both, but only for 1/2 of it, for the other half it'd be a death trap.

Just sit in the van at Dyfi, it's like a ballet, as vehicles pass a certain point and tell the guy coming down where you are, he then waits as you pass and goes, repeat in 5 other places on the hill... it just wouldn't work.

Sure i agree an eeb uplift would be ACE... but it'd have to be a compeltely different route up.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I'm on my own then. Interesting to know. Personally I don't see the point in loading an eBike on a trailer, I prefer to be out in the open than in the back of a landie.
If I am forced to use the uplift I would definitely take my DH bike as the damage will be way less expensive.

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Well no, you don't need one, sure. I've ridden it on a Status 160 and a Fuel EX. But that doesn't mean either are the best tool for the job.
However, the fastest, jumpers, best guys there are on DH bikes, for a reason. They're the best tool for the job.

It's plenty steep enough for me

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I can see their point about random ebikers going up the roads. Why not just stick your ebike on the uplift if you really want to use it as I think the current price is brilliant value for the standard of tracks there anyway?
I guess I'm not really proposing that they make it a lot cheaper for self propelled eBikes. In a utopian world I would rather my money went into trail building than running a fleet of land rovers.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I only ever ride midweek, so it's usually easy to get a booking a few days before after a weather check.
I don't think I would use a pedalup option if it was available. I like the ebike for lapping short southern bikeparks, but for bigger hills I would use the bus every time.
I have seen an unofficial ebike loop at the top of dyfi in some blogs, that looks fun.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
are any parts of it session-able, pedalling back up to loop a trail again?
I think it's intended to do the whole thing top to bottom. There doesn't seem to be a lot of opportunity to session just parts of it.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
I'm with you. I would always prefer riding up to being in an uplift and as you say, if this means more money for trail building then that's great too. I do understand the argument for safety and would want it to be a separate trail to ride up on rather than just following the uplift.

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
Dyfi is better in the wet so booking in advance doesn't bother me. I go there for the downhill and not to pedal up to the top myself. Thats what the landies are for

Ive been to Dyfi around 12 times in the past 18 months and it has only been dry twice, hasn't soured my day one bit

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Dyfi is better in the wet so booking in advance doesn't bother me. I go there for the downhill and not to pedal up to the top myself. Thats what the landies are for

Ive been to Dyfi around 12 times in the past 18 months and it has only been dry twice, hasn't soured my day one bit
That's cool. Agree that it is fun in the wet, I bet you've changed a few pivot bearings in that time. Weather aside I'd still prefer battery up.
Check this out in bpw. That was 3hr30 moving. So I rock up at lunch after a lie in and smash out more in an afternoon than anyone could do on a day of uplift. eBikes rock 🤙

Screenshot_20240509_172354_Strava.jpg

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
Nope not changed any yet,

I did 70K in uplift at BPW a year ago in a half day uplift. Admittedly that was bombing back down as quick as we could

I'm an advocate for uplifts and will always use them over pedaling up myself

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Nope not changed any yet,

I did 70K in uplift at BPW a year ago in a half day uplift. Admittedly that was bombing back down as quick as we could

I'm an advocate for uplifts and will always use them over pedaling up myself
Fair enough, they provide a great service. I expected to find eMTBers on this forum, not park rats who only shuttle 😁
Did the 70k include the van route which is much longer? Only vert counts 😉

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
More than
Fair enough, they provide a great service. I expected to find eMTBers on this forum, not park rats who only shuttle 😁
Did the 70k include the van route which is much longer? Only vert counts 😉
More than likely

I pedal up plenty of hills, but if I am going to a Bike Park, I am making use of the uplift service to get as many downhill runs in as possible

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
That's cool. Agree that it is fun in the wet, I bet you've changed a few pivot bearings in that time. Weather aside I'd still prefer battery up.
Check this out in bpw. That was 3hr30 moving. So I rock up at lunch after a lie in and smash out more in an afternoon than anyone could do on a day of uplift. eBikes rock 🤙

View attachment 140135

Suspect you might be the exception here not the rule. I regard 3000m as a decent day in the alps, let alone on an e-bike.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Suspect you might be the exception here not the rule. I regard 3000m as a decent day in the alps, let alone on an e-bike.
Haha. Maybe, I do love a lot of DH. This is a day in the Alps. I'm aiming for 200km vert this year 😁 Can't be waiting for a stinking uplift van 😂

Screenshot_20240513_223133_Strava.jpg

Reactions: Dax

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Excuse my ignorance being in the southern hemisphere but are you riding the same 2 or 4 trails there over and over? I know how inaccurate strava can be sometimes

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Excuse my ignorance being in the southern hemisphere but are you riding the same 2 or 4 trails there over and over? I know how inaccurate strava can be sometimes
Yep, I was doing accurate timed tyre testing on the same track then returning for wheel and battery swaps, but the trailhead is the same for all tracks so I could have done any of the numerous descents and clocked up 3000m.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles