E-bike spares on a ride

BVision

Mar 26, 2024
Kent
Hi I’ve got a cube stereo hybrid 160 race 2023.

Can anyone tell me a good chain replacement to carry round with me? I have no idea of the different types etc. I’d want a similar replacement but a better higher quality make for as and when it goes.

Other than an inner tube what other spare parts should I take with me on Long remote rides?

thank you.

BD9B2D77-8719-4E14-A716-C05F23296325.jpeg

DieBoy

Jul 14, 2023
EU
Can anyone tell me a good chain replacement to carry round with me?

Any 12 speed chain, though what length/how many links, you'll have to measure/count your existing chain.

Something like a shimano CN-M8100 would be presumably an upgrade to the stock chain, though not cheap, and check which size first.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@BVision
I take that bit of chain that I have to cut off a new chain to make it fit my bike (5-6 links). That plus a few quick links and a chain breaker and I'm good to go. Know how to fit and remove a quick link.
I take also, one or two spare inner tubes, depending upon whether I have a mullet or not. Also the means to remove the tyre and fit the tubes and inflate them. Better still go tubeless and never get a flat ever again except in unusual circumstances.
Plus a spare mech hanger.

All of this and more is what I have always taken with me on a ride, whether it was an mtb or an emtb. I only responded because I had to reassure you that you do not need to take a whole chain with you.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Another tip: Do not discard a broken chain. Keep it until you get another one (you will). Marry the two together for extra life.

When a new chain would not run on an old cassette, I connected an old Shimano XT chain and an old KMC gold together and they ran perfectly on the old cassette. I got another 600 miles out of them before the oldest chain snapped. Then it was time for a new cassette and a new chain.

Yet another tip: Do not discard old quicklinks when the chain is done, keep them as emergency spares (see above). They can also be handed out to stranded riders, who will be enormously grateful and will not at all begrudge the fact that the link is an old one.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Day to day load out:

Mini pump
Spare tube
Quicklinks
Multi tool
Tyre levers
Tubeless repair kit
Handful of cable ties.

From memory, in the past three years or so,, riding the south downs, which is pretty rough on bikes, I've had to use the tubeless repair kit once & the quicklinks twice.

Last edited:
Reactions: A22

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
I'd learn how to fix a broken chain. with the chain tool you remove the broken piece and then just push out the pin far enough to put the other end of the chain lined up with it and then push it back in and your good to go. Or the quicklink route works too.

Also bring duct tape or electrical tape.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi I’ve got a cube stereo hybrid 160 race 2023.

Can anyone tell me a good chain replacement to carry round with me? I have no idea of the different types etc. I’d want a similar replacement but a better higher quality make for as and when it goes.

Other than an inner tube what other spare parts should I take with me on Long remote rides?

thank you.

View attachment 139222
After Mondays escapade I will be carrying a derailleur and a sandwich hanger. On mega trips only as thats 3 dérailleurs in two years I've broken. So much can go wrong you never know. Remember a lads pedal threads going he used a tie wrap round his foot.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Also bring duct tape or electrical tape.
I wrap two metres around my mini-pump. But as I discovered when I came to use it for the first time (several years later), if you leave it for too long it goes off and no longer peels off as easily as it does from a fresh roll. YUK! o_O

I had cut myself quite badly and I used the paper towels that I also take with me, plus the duct tape, to bandage myself up. Fortunately, I had some buddies with me to cut the tape for me and generally help out, as I was down to one hand. But I guess that I would have managed by myself. Once first-aid was applied I was good to go. :)

A22

Oct 20, 2023
New Zealand
Day to day load out:

Mini pump
Spare tube
Quicklinks
Multi tool
Tyre levers
Tubeless repair kit
Handful of cable ties.

From memory, in the past three years or so,, riding the south downs, which is pretty rough on bikes, I've had to use the tubeless repair kit once & the quicklinks twice.
That’s exactly what’s in my bag. Haven’t needed anything else yet.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Day to day load out:

Mini pump
Spare tube
Quicklinks
Multi tool
Tyre levers
Tubeless repair kit
Handful of cable ties.

Definitely not going out with you then Rusty . No flask of tea 😪 and nothing to eat.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
You can have a go on my water bottle Binners but you might need to wipe the mud off the top. Besides, this is wet (not a typo) Sussex, where you're never more than half a mile from a tea room.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles