DMR Vault delusion

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
After just 500km and a few rides in wet and mud I already need to do maintenance on my DMR Vault pedals... left pedal is creaking and right pedal squeaking. I am quite disappointed :(

Anybody else having same experience?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Not me! I have two pairs that I have had for over ten years, one for 13 years and the other for 11 years, I think. I have serviced the pair of them 3 maybe 4 times, but which one? (dunno). They both started black with blue pins and now they both look scuffed and shiny alloy and I can no longer tell them apart. No squeaking and no creaking. The main bush is wearing out on the pair I'm riding now as they rattle when I put my foot on them. I'll leave it a while before doing anything. The axles are the originals.
A service kit is cheap, get one from here:
Pedal Bearing Kits Archives • Rulla Bike Bearings
They are also on eBay.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Not me! I have two pairs that I have had for over ten years, one for 13 years and the other for 11 years, I think. I have serviced the pair of them 3 maybe 4 times, but which one? (dunno). They both started black with blue pins and now they both look scuffed and shiny alloy and I can no longer tell them apart. No squeaking and no creaking. The main bush is wearing out on the pair I'm riding now as they rattle when I put my foot on them. I'll leave it a while before doing anything. The axles are the originals.
A service kit is cheap, get one from here:
Pedal Bearing Kits Archives • Rulla Bike Bearings
They are also on eBay.
Yeah, found the kit, going to buy it indeed. Thanks for the link.

But really… this is very disappointing. Just a couple of muddy rides and already a service?

First pair of pedals having such behavior. Maybe they got worse over years? No idea. Or maybe just bad luck.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yeah, found the kit, going to buy it indeed. Thanks for the link.

But really… this is very disappointing. Just a couple of muddy rides and already a service?

First pair of pedals having such behavior. Maybe they got worse over years? No idea. Or maybe just bad luck.
Before you reassemble the pedal, slide a suitable O ring over the axle. Position it so that it presses against the lip seal (from the outside). It seems to help my pedals.
You can see the O ring here. I think it acts as a "flinger" to throw muck off before it gets to the lip seal. (Well it's a theory).
DMR Vault worn 2.jpg

By the way I removed those centre pins, I didn't lose them! They stop those painful bloodthirsty impacts on my legs. They still hurt but I don't bleed so much.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
I think DMR Vaults have really lousy axle sealing construction. Otherwise great pedal. I prefer stamp 7 and just got Nukeproofs for my HT, they seem to be good also.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
I think DMR Vaults have really lousy axle sealing construction. Otherwise great pedal.
Indeed, I am reading the same on multiple forums, so at least I am not alone.

Next pair of pedals (in the very far future) will be Nukeproof also for me. It seems Horizon model is good from serviceability.

paske

Apr 2, 2021
Belgium
I don't know, my DMR Vault needs servicing now but I (ab)uses them for a liitle more than 2 years and a good 3000 km now...
Seems correct to me.

Ymersmoelf

Oct 19, 2019
Denmark
I think DMR Vaults have really lousy axle sealing construction. Otherwise great pedal. I prefer stamp 7 and just got Nukeproofs for my HT, they seem to be good also.
Stamp 7 is a service hungry beast and the pins are a pain to replace if they are worn or bent. Good grip though

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
For sake of documentation, I did not need to do a full service on my Vault pedals. I simply did a clean&regrease without any replacement. All creaking and squeaking gone.

They were dirty inside. Clearly the riding in mud and rainy weather showed the weakness of these pedals when it comes to sealing.

Still I am happy that there was no damage and I did not need to spend money 😬

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have had 2 pairs of vaults for a number of years, riding through winter they need regular servicing, as it is only the plastic bushings that wear, I buy copper ones from eBay, and they last a lot longer
Plastic bushings!!! :eek:
Is that where DMR have gone since I last bought a pair over ten years ago? I don't like the sound of that. I have been buying spares off eBay and the bushings are the same as the original ones that came with the new pedals. They are not copper but Phosphor Bronze, a well know bearing metal for slow speed high load conditions.

Brown stripe

Mar 4, 2023
United Kingdom
Is that where DMR have gone since I last bought a pair over ten years ago? I don't like the sound of that. I have been buying spares off eBay and the bushings are the same as the original ones that came with the new pedals. They are not copper but Phosphor Bronze, a well know bearing metal for slow speed high load

Is that where DMR have gone since I last bought a pair over ten years ago? I don't like the sound of that. I have been buying spares off eBay and the bushings are the same as the original ones that came with the new pedals. They are not copper but Phosphor Bronze, a well know bearing metal for slow speed high load conditions.
I think I am wrong in saying plastic /nylon bushes, thinking of other pedals. I buy replacement bushes from eBay as the vault service kit is expensive when the only thing I usually need is the bushes