Dead Bike

Dick the Coal

Feb 10, 2021
S. Wales
2/3rds my way up a long climb today in emtb mode and my bike just died. Battery pretty much full with 5 blocks on the Purion. I hit the reset botton on the battery and the Purion lit up for about five seconds then died again. Repeat - same result. Any thoughts/ideas please?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Main wiring connections not making battery contact. Vibration issue. Motor power connection issue. Purion battery or connections. Failure in main battery.

The lBS may be able to diagnose the problem. But there are a few easy things you can do first. I’d try those before I brought the bike to the LBS.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I assume this is a pre Smart System Bosch motor with the original Purion controller? ( albeit Bosch has confused matters by calling the new Smart System controller Purion 200!!).
If the purion powers up but then switches off it means its initial system check failed, so some part of the system is faulty. As per @Stihldog response a bove it could be speed sensor, motor, battery or even the Purion batteries themselves. Since you just got a power off and no error report I would firstly renew the Purion batteries ( they seems to last a bout 3 years in my experience). Then check the main battery connections for corrosion and good connection. It may help others to help if you gave details of the bike.

Dick the Coal

Feb 10, 2021
S. Wales
Main wiring connections not making battery contact. Vibration issue. Motor power connection issue. Purion battery or connections. Failure in main battery.

The lBS may be able to diagnose the problem. But there are a few easy things you can do first. I’d try those before I brought the bike to the LBS.
I've stripped all the covers and given everything a thorough cleaning. Given the bike has done over 10000 miles I was amazed at how clean everything looked. Battery removed and put on charge and all lights are fully on. Replaced in the bike but no luck exactly the same. Anyway it's gone in to my local supplier for them to sort.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I've stripped all the covers and given everything a thorough cleaning. Given the bike has done over 10000 miles I was amazed at how clean everything looked. Battery removed and put on charge and all lights are fully on. Replaced in the bike but no luck exactly the same. Anyway it's gone in to my local supplier for them to sort.

A faulty or low battery in the Purion controller may cause some issues. If you’ve never replaced this battery (CR2032), I would start there with a new battery.

IMG_7444.jpeg

However, the type of manufacturer of this battery may behave differently. Panasonic is generally ok. But Duracell may not initially work or make a good connection in the holder.

There is a thin film or coating applied to the surface of the Duracell CR2032 which must be removed. Rubbing a very fine sandpaper over both sides of the battery usually helps remove the thin film which is not visible.

You can YouTube this fix regarding CR2032 Duracell batteries.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles