Brake pad upgrade to increase power

BRAAAAP

Sep 17, 2023
England
Hi everyone,
My bike came with SRAM G2 R brakes, and I'm looking for a bit more power. I've increased rotor size and am now looking to get some new pads. I'm leaning towards getting Uberbike E-Matrix pads, but am also considering one of the ceramic compounds from Gorilla brakes, or maybe one from disco brakes. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of these or if there are any other recommendations.
Thanks

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Ive tried a few different brands and compounds that they offer but the best I've used for noise, stopping power and wear rate are CL VRX pads.. expensive but well worth it.. I was using them and then tried the uberbike Ebike (blue ones) specific pads, after two rides I'd had enough and bought another set of the CL ones.
the second best ive used and good value are the uberbike white ones.. good wear and value with decent braking performance

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Hi everyone,
My bike came with SRAM G2 R brakes, and I'm looking for a bit more power. I've increased rotor size and am now looking to get some new pads. I'm leaning towards getting Uberbike E-Matrix pads, but am also considering one of the ceramic compounds from Gorilla brakes, or maybe one from disco brakes. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of these or if there are any other recommendations.
Thanks
Galfer purple is what you're looking for

BRAAAAP

Sep 17, 2023
England
Ive tried a few different brands and compounds that they offer but the best I've used for noise, stopping power and wear rate are CL VRX pads.. expensive but well worth it.. I was using them and then tried the uberbike Ebike (blue ones) specific pads, after two rides I'd had enough and bought another set of the CL ones.
the second best ive used and good value are the uberbike white ones.. good wear and value with decent braking performance
Thanks man, I'll have a look into them

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Hi everyone,
Thanks
I and several in riding group here in NorCal using MTX Gold for e-bikes and DH/Park bikes. Good power, modulation and fade resistance without rapid wear or chewing up rotors.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I use sinteered oe pads.
Tried non oe over the years. Not as good.

I'm very skeptical that you can gain much more power at all with pad material.

Its physics after all! There isn't any change in leverage or pad size.

Crank up to a 220 front and 200 back rotor and that should do it.

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
They are good, but it's a shame they don't last long. At least the power pads.
True, but for $20 who cares. I keep some extras in the truck and at home. Braking performance is great, silent, and doesn’t prematurely wear your rotors. I’d rather replace them often and enjoy good, quiet brakes.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
True, but for $20 who cares. I keep some extras in the truck and at home. Braking performance is great, silent, and doesn’t prematurely wear your rotors. I’d rather replace them often and enjoy good, quiet brakes.
I’m running Cascade North Fork Calipers with my Stealth Ultimate Codes. They made a noticeable difference. I’m currently running the HS2 220mm/200mm Rotors with the SRAM organic/alum plate pads. I’m still looking for a bit more bite power (I’m used to riding with Magura MT7’s), so I just ordered 4 sets of Trickstuff Power pads. Looking forward to trying them out when they arrive!
I have a new extra set of HS2 rotors, question; should I bed the new TrickStuff pads with the new rotors or can I bed them with the existing rotors? (Only 40miles on the existing rotors with the SRAM organic pads)

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I’m running Cascade North Fork Calipers with my Stealth Ultimate Codes. They made a noticeable difference. I’m currently running the HS2 220mm/200mm Rotors with the SRAM organic/alum plate pads. I’m still looking for a bit more bite power (I’m used to riding with Magura MT7’s), so I just ordered 4 sets of Trickstuff Power pads. Looking forward to trying them out when they arrive!
I have a new extra set of HS2 rotors, question; should I bed the new TrickStuff pads with the new rotors or can I bed them with the existing rotors? (Only 40miles on the existing rotors with the SRAM organic pads)
Ive had success for years just wiping rotors with auto brake cleaner (wear vinyl gloves) 1st, then lightly scuff contact surface with fine emery cloth, rewipe rotors & bed-in new pads.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I use sinteered oe pads.
Tried non oe over the years. Not as good.

Its physics after all! There isn't any change in leverage or pad size.

Crank up to a 220 front and 200 back rotor and that should do it.
Pad material is actually critical to performance on auto, moto, bicycle. Using street auto (sports car) at track with stock pads a couple fast straight into turn and youll bevin the weeds due to extreme fade, switching to track pad (sintered or ceramic) on same stock brakes makes all the difference. Try longer DH park descents on most stock organic pads vs ceramic or sintered and you’ll see the difference quickly.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Pad material is actually critical to performance on auto, moto, bicycle. Using street auto (sports car) at track with stock pads a couple fast straight into turn and youll bevin the weeds due to extreme fade, switching to track pad (sintered or ceramic) on same stock brakes makes all the difference. Try longer DH park descents on most stock organic pads vs ceramic or sintered and you’ll see the difference quickly.
I only use sintered and have not found pads with more power than OE pads.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
I think I’ll bed the TrickStuff Power pads into my existing rotors(once cleaned & scuffed), and try out an unused set of SRAM Sintered pads with my new set of rotors. This way I can swap from one setup to the other quickly to see which feels and sounds the best….I never tried the SRAM Sintered pads that came with my Codes, as I don’t ride in mud and rain and worried they’d be laud.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Hi everyone,
Thanks
seriously consider changing out the brake setup as a option many people find they don't like Sram brakes compared to others. I'm not saying change them but, you may find in the end that ends up being the best route. You may Also find you like your Sram brakes.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
I am on the side of pads do make a difference. Best I have used are Magura race pads but you need to keep them working hard. When they are cold they are hopeless. My go to are galfer purple. Strong and last well

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
I am on the side of pads do make a difference. Best I have used are Magura race pads but you need to keep them working hard. When they are cold they are hopeless. My go to are galfer purple. Strong and last well
I’ve had the exact opposite experience with the race pads, had them fade twice now when hot and needed. Just put performance pads back in.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
That reminds me of my 1968 Plymouth Road Runner “muscle car”… I was fortunate to get one of 2500 factory cars specifically modified to meet homologation rules for NASCAR racing (bigger brakes, stronger transmission, stiffer suspension). I thought geez, since I got bigger brakes they would work even better with race pads… well, on a circle track at 150-180 mph I bet they’re great, however, on the street & cold you end up blowing through the 4 way stop at bottom of street hill and ending up in a neighbor’s planter!

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Another carer here. If my braking performance is compromised at all my whole riding performance degenerates but that's just me. I am sure there are plenty of others that it doesn't affect to anything like the same amount

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
I’ve had the exact opposite experience with the race pads, had them fade twice now when hot and needed. Just put performance pads back in.
Ride report: Magura performance pads feel better in all aspects over the Magura race pads. Stopping power, modulation, and noise is much better with the performance pads.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I have only every used OE metal pads on my CODE RSC brakes and am happy with their performance. I am giving these ones a try cuz I am SURE all pads end up doing the same 2 things, they stop the bike and they wear out. Its only a matter of time and money. What could possibly go wrong? :unsure:

pads.jpg

4.23£ 49% OFF|Metal Bicycle Disc Brake Pads | Sram Metal Disc Brake Pads | Brake Pad Sram Guide 4 - 4 - Aliexpress

RiderOnTheStorm

What are we debating here? Do brake pads effect braking power? I think we all know the obvious answer to this question. Of course, it does. Depending on pad compound used, braking power will be different.

OP is looking to improve braking power with different pads. May be the question is which pad material or compound provides the best braking/stopping power regardless of brands? How do sintered pads compare to kevlar or ceramic pads?

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
What are we debating here? Do brake pads effect braking power? I think we all know the obvious answer to this question. Of course, it does. Depending on pad compound used, braking power will be different.

OP is looking to improve braking power with different pads. May be the question is which pad material or compound provides the best braking/stopping power regardless of brands? How do sintered pads compare to kevlar or ceramic pads?
I'm debating that aftermarket pads can achieve more braking power than original equipment pads.

In my experience at best they equal the best original equipment pad material.

So...
If you are significantly light on power, pads wont fix the problem. The solution is bigger rotors and or different brake design.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles