Bosch Gen4 Bearing protection service kit. Has anyone installed one?

IMeasureStuff

Aug 9, 2020
Australia
I have come across the Bosch Gen4 Bearing protection service kit. Has anyone installed one? I figured you would want to install it before your seals fail.

Screenshot_20210516-211157_Chrome.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Dan

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
I already did it twice on my motor because I ride often in the wet. I didn't yet replace the seals because they were still in good condition. I only removed the old grease and dirt, and then re-applied a lot of the Bosch grease according the procedure which came with the set.

On the gen4 motor the sealing is mainly done with the grease which is trapped between the seals and bearings. When the grease is gone or mixed with water, the sealing didn't work anymore and water can ingress into the motor.

I think it's worth to do it. The set costs nothing (around 20€) and there is enough grease to renew it 2-3 times.

The set from your picture is not for gen4. This is the one for the gen4 (with two external securing ring):
1621164969438.png

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
@Bearing Man I believe you've stripped down a Gen 4 motor, is this a service part, i.e. replacement for existing parts when they get worn, or an additional parts for extra protection?

IMeasureStuff

Aug 9, 2020
Australia
I already did it twice on my motor because I ride often in the wet. I didn't yet replace the seals because they were still in good condition. I only removed the old grease and dirt, and then re-applied a lot of the Bosch grease according the procedure which came with the set.

On the gen4 motor the sealing is mainly done with the grease which is trapped between the seals and bearings. When the grease is gone or mixed with water, the sealing didn't work anymore and water can ingress into the motor.

I think it's worth to do it. The set costs nothing (around 20€) and there is enough grease to renew it 2-3 times.

The set from your picture is not for gen4. This is the one for the gen4 (with two external securing ring):
View attachment 61659

Fantastic reply! It's wet here too so I'm going to grab a set.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
@Bearing Man I believe you've stripped down a Gen 4 motor, is this a service part, i.e. replacement for existing parts when they get worn, or an additional parts for extra protection?
We have stripped quite a few of these motors now, most had been pressure washed and were a bit of a mess. We have all the bearings in stock and we are building a stock of component parts. We also have these seal kits in stock, but have not seen any worn out on motors yet?
We are working on a new site and the Gen 4 will be added with videos and parts soon. ?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ

View attachment 61659
To clarify you removed the original seals, regreased & reused the originals?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles