Bloody chain wear

newforestbiker83

Aug 8, 2023
United Kingdom
Hi, does anyone know of a stronger more durable chain for electric bikes? I’m finding I can get only around 500 miles before it becomes unridable. The fact that the bike is unrestricted probably means I’m getting a small percentage less mileage than if it were restricted. These electric motors exert more drag and tension on the chain causing faster wear. I use a 116L Shimano CN-HG53 for a 9-11 speed bike.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
6500km so far on my shimano axs drivetrain
Started rotating 2 chains, around 3500 1 xt chain broke and I trew it away, kept on riding with the other slx chain. Cassette is at 6500km and chain has now 0.7 wear. It has been ridden all year and have seen 2 muddy Winters.

Bike is also derestricted and I use effetto mariposa wax for the chain.

My next drivetrain will be slx casette with xtr chain.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I would agree that the better-quality chains last long enough to more than make up for the cost. You only have to try one once.
The trouble is that your chainring and cassette are probably knackered by wearing out the cheap chains. A worn chain is like mechanical aids; it transmits it's wear to whatever it rolls on.

ozzybmx

Sep 26, 2023
Adelaide, South Australia
Swap to Shimano's Linkglide.

I had a load of dramas with chain as I always swap them out at 0.75 to avoid wear on my drivetrain. The 12 speed GX chain that came on the bike lasted 500km.

Then went to a hot waxed XX1, got about 700km out of it.

Swapped the drivetrain to full 11spd Linkglide expecting a miracle... but I also hot waxed the linkglide chain, got 1000km.

Stuck a X01 11 spd on there (no hotwax), yeah a Sram chain on Shimano Linkglide when Shimano said it needed a special Linkglide chain. Worked great but only lasted 900km

Still better than the XX1/X01 and half the price but was thinking this hotwaxing and eebs might not mix.

Grabbed a couple of new Linkglide chains and ran the first with the factory gunk, just over 1200km, now on the next Linkglide and its going well too, I dont mind swapping $40 chains at around 1200km.

XX1/X01 at 700-900km and $100 is a different matter.

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
+1 for XTR /X01 chains lasting longer. Also waxing makes a massive difference. I wore out an SLX chain in 300 miles of light summer riding and then I switched to XTR and wax. Chain went for 3000 miles with virtually no wear and the same cassette. I now have a SRAM drivetrain and the same applies - waxed X01 chain and zero wear after 3000 miles .

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Hi, does anyone know of a stronger more durable chain for electric bikes? I’m finding I can get only around 500 miles before it becomes unridable. The fact that the bike is unrestricted probably means I’m getting a small percentage less mileage than if it were restricted. These electric motors exert more drag and tension on the chain causing faster wear. I use a 116L Shimano CN-HG53 for a 9-11 speed bike.
Personally I ride SRAM T-Type chains. Regardless of chain its important to gave a high performance lube, hers one too git top ratings in a bike mag testing if several lubes.

BushLevo

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Connex 11SE on my Levo. Hot paraffin wax mixed with Teflon powder. Rewax chain every 500km. So far 4000km and 0.25% wear. The only condition is I don't do wet, muddy rides.

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
If you want to do wet muddy rides then Putoline wax is the answer. Originally developed for motor bikes and outperforms wax in those conditions. Slightly less clean looking than a wax but a single application will last several ‘000 miles. It’s not mentioned or tested in cycling circles as it’s not advertised for bicycle use but I can vouch for its longevity as I’ve used it on my HT e-bike. I only switched to Molten Speed Wax as I now have a road bike and it’s a tart! MSW needs reapplying every 2-300 miles in the summer and after every wet ride. I rotate two chains so it’s minimal faff. Chain off bike, into pot, leave for 45 mins, hang to cool.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles