Bike just turns itself off!

deano2107

Nov 23, 2021
Wendover
I have a Whyte e150 RS fitted with a Bosch motor and 625 wh battery. Has anybody else had this problem? It's been back to my lbs, Bosch advised fitting a new wiring loom, I'm told it's all fixed and after 250m of my first ride the exact same problem occurs!

Easy.rider

Jun 10, 2023
Oz
I have a Whyte e150 RS fitted with a Bosch motor and 625 wh battery. Has anybody else had this problem? It's been back to my lbs, Bosch advised fitting a new wiring loom, I'm told it's all fixed and after 250m of my first ride the exact same problem occurs!
It sounds like a connection loss or the Purion LCD could need two new CR batteries this is cheap to try and it might resolve the issue, if batteries are low it sees it as a disconnection then will reconnect.

Last edited:

hubertsk

May 24, 2023
Gdansk, Poland
In mine Canyon Strive:ON it happened to be a connection issue between the battery and the connector in the downtube.
The battery slides into downtube and I discovered it has some play when locked. Check if you don't have a similar issue :)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It sounds like a connection loss or the Purion LCD could need two new CR batteries this is cheap to try and it might resolve the issue, if batteries are low it sees it as a disconnection then will reconnect.
That would do it too. Easy to fix/change and eliminates a potential issue or problem. I’m gonna try this simple solution before the nuclear option…new 625w battery. (Neibours bike).

I’ve experienced the power failure issue while riding over a specific stretch of rough gravel access road. I could almost set my watch/gps to this 50m stretch of road. The vibrations were unique and the location was predictable. After I passed this spot I was able to pedal through the power loss 80% of the time until it got worse, and eventually annoying.

My solution was to clean the battery connections and slightly adjust the lower bulkhead for a better/tighter battery fit. This solution also made the battery compartment fit more secure. Problem solved…yay! My ‘buried flux capacitor’ theory seemed silly.😉

Neibours bike; similar power cutoff during rides at random locations and times. Tried bulkhead adjustment …didn’t work. Checked connectors …didn’t work. Swapped battery to my 625w battery …tahdah…not a single power failure during his ride. Potential problem found. Could be an internal battery failure. This is a LBS or warranty issue.

Son-in-law’s bike; he previously dropped the motor when the power cutoff issue began. He had accidentally pinched/broke a wire while reinstalling the motor. A new wiring harness was needed. Fairly easy fix.

Vibration, and sometimes water, is not our friend. But the Purion battery change is an easy fix and sometimes a good place to start. Seems like there’s a few simple things we could do before we ‘loose-our-minds’ …like I did. 👍🏻

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles