Best way to transport E bikes without lifting

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
I realize this is kind of a generic question, but we are about to embark on the emtb trail and have no way of transporting the bikes - neither of our current cars can hold them nor are they ideal for putting a hitch on. So I will be getting a new vehicle and am open to anything. I'm looking mainly for the best option for transporting them, but that may involve a specific vehicle. My main issue is I have a bad back and want an option where we don't have to lift them, I want to be able to roll them into/onto something.

My preference would be to get a Transit or Sprinter van and put the bikes inside, but the prices have gone crazy the last few years, and this vehicle will be our main vehicle and not sure my wants to drive something like that. (I don't want a Ram ProMaster.) I don't know if any other vehicles are large enough to hold them upright.

It seems like a ramp into a truck bed would need to be way too long, so I was planning on getting a truck or SUV and using a hitch rack with a ramp. I know there are disadvantages with hitch racks, so I was thinking maybe a utility trailer, possible even an enclosed one. But these would be more of a hassle to have to hitch up and find parking for and such.

So any recommendations are welcome.

P.S. If a hitch rack, I think a 2" class 3 hitch is the minimum but class 4 is probably sturdier. I would also like a vehicle that can comfortably go to off-road trailheads, but nothing too extreme, as it has to drive nice on the road as well. I rented a Jeep Wrangler for a day as I've always wanted one, but we didn't like it on-road.

Last edited:

bcmtb

Nov 1, 2021
WA
It looks like there are a good number of hitch racks (or accessories) that provide a ramp to roll your bike up with.

I would probably do that. We have a Subaru Forester with a 2” hitch and a Thule rack. I half lift and half roll it on, but there are definitely options that will let you wheel it up completely.

Use the ebike walk mode (if it has it) and it should be very easy to get up I bet.

You might also wish to consider a lighter emtb to make it a bit easier on you in general, if you’re so inclined.

Good luck.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
It looks like there are a good number of hitch racks (or accessories) that provide a ramp to roll your bike up with.

I would probably do that. We have a Subaru Forester with a 2” hitch and a Thule rack. I half lift and half roll it on, but there are definitely options that will let you wheel it up completely.

Use the ebike walk mode (if it has it) and it should be very easy to get up I bet.

You might also wish to consider a lighter emtb to make it a bit easier on you in general, if you’re so inclined.

Good luck.
Thanks. Yes, the bikes we are getting have a walk mode, although I wondered how well that would work up a ramp. I'm happy to push it up a bit, just don't want to lift too much, although I could lift one end.

I really, really wanted to get a lighter bike. After we ordered these I found a lighter (and better) bike, and I should still be able to cancel, as the dealers said they weren't sending the order until tomorrow, but they are being weird. But my wife wants to stick with these bikes anyway.

bcmtb

Nov 1, 2021
WA
Thanks. Yes, the bikes we are getting have a walk mode, although I wondered how well that would work up a ramp. I'm happy to push it up a bit, just don't want to lift too much, although I could lift one end.

I really, really wanted to get a lighter bike. After we ordered these I found a lighter (and better) bike, and I should still be able to cancel, as the dealers said they weren't sending the order until tomorrow, but they are being weird. But my wife wants to stick with these bikes anyway.
Gotcha. What bikes do you have ordered at the moment?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Agree, it's what we have with a ramp but we don't use the ramp because it's easy and quicker just to lift the front of the bike, roll it on, then lift the rear.

We have something called a "Buzzrack e Scorpion 2" which comes with a ramp. It's very sturdy and runs on small wheels so very easy to move it around. Can not fault it, but there are many similar designs.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
They will go up a ramp in Walk mode just fine.
But you have to be tall enough to hold the bars with your thumb on the switch while it climbs the ramp! :unsure:

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Agree, it's what we have with a ramp but we don't use the ramp because it's easy and quicker just to lift the front of the bike, roll it on, then lift the rear.

We have something called a "Buzzrack e Scorpion 2" which comes with a ramp. It's very sturdy and runs on small wheels so very easy to move it around. Can not fault it, but there are many similar designs.

Yeah, I do something similar. I use a simple, old, Swagman Sitka that I pieced/parted out of broken parts from the shop for free. I too found my Trek Rail 7 to be a decent heavy lift when loading the bike conventionally.

After putzing about a bit, I figure out that I can lock the rear brake lever by hand and stand the bike up on its rear wheel. I unicycle the bike on the back wheel and roll it to the rack and gently lower the front wheel into the front wheel "cup". I then push the adjustable front tire clamp down on to the tire to hold it in place...not locked all the way to the fork brace.

At this point the bike is being held up by the front wheel. I then lift the rear wheel into the rear tray by grabbing the rear wheel. Then I readjust the front wheel/tire lock down ratchet clamp to the locked position into the fork brace. Then lock down the rear wheel with its strap.

This method keeps me from having to lift the whole weight of the bike, and it provides a kind of lever assist when picking up the rear wheel to place it in the tray. There is no real lifting at all when planting the front wheel into the tray.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Personally I believe there are other issues to consider when transporting EMTBs ...especially more than one. Carrying bikes inside a vehicle rather than on a hitch provides more security and avoids the bikes being subject to both weather and road/exchaust contaminants. If carried inside a vehicle you want them to be securely fixed...........25kg plus of bike flying forward into the passenger area is best a voided!! If you transport bikes to go for a ride/day out, plus passengers, chances are you will be carrying more than just the bikes.
My bike transport is a VW T5, and the bike(s) are fixed using fork mounts. Using a front or rear wheel stand on ground just behind the vehicle it is easy to remove the front wheel and lifting the back of the bike into the the van is easy. I carry basic cleaning tools ( brush, damp cloth, towel) so I can get the bike reasonably clean before loading into the van after a ride but if it is too cold or too wet to do that, the van has a cushioned rubber floor so no problem loading it plastered with mud if need be!!

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
I also prefer a van to transport my bike, but some friends have got the Shingleback vertical bike rack which makes loading pretty simple, as long as you can get the bike onto it's back wheel - see at about the 4:30 mark in this video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Hp_Vtj1Y4

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

St. George? I'm jealous. You're a little further from the mesas than Hurricane, but you actually have some good restaurants.

A year ago my back was hurting pretty bad, and six months ago it was my wrist. Things are better now, but during those low points I had to take extra care in loading. How well my solutions work will depend on your level of discomfort.

My everyday method is to stick the bike in the back of my truck. I roll it onto the back wheel, then just set the front wheel in the bed of the truck. I can stick a hand under the saddle, and pivot the bike up. I just lay it in the bed, and it travels nicely that way. But it's only good for one bike.

If I'm riding with others, I have a tailgate pad. It's not very good if you're hurting, but with one rider in the bed and another lifting the bike half way, it's manageable.

If you're looking for a rack, 1up is the way to go. They're rock solid, and totally capable of hauling a couple bikes on rough roads. Like my truck bed method, you can roll the front end up, and then lift at the saddle.

Good luck.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Personally I believe there are other issues to consider when transporting EMTBs ...especially more than one. Carrying bikes inside a vehicle rather than on a hitch provides more security and avoids the bikes being subject to both weather and road/exchaust contaminants. If carried inside a vehicle you want them to be securely fixed...........25kg plus of bike flying forward into the passenger area is best a voided!! If you transport bikes to go for a ride/day out, plus passengers, chances are you will be carrying more than just the bikes.
My bike transport is a VW T5, and the bike(s) are fixed using fork mounts. Using a front or rear wheel stand on ground just behind the vehicle it is easy to remove the front wheel and lifting the back of the bike into the the van is easy. I carry basic cleaning tools ( brush, damp cloth, towel) so I can get the bike reasonably clean before loading into the van after a ride but if it is too cold or too wet to do that, the van has a cushioned rubber floor so no problem loading it plastered with mud if need be!!
Yes, there are other considerations, but the OP seems mainly concerned with transporting that doesn't injure or challenge his back. These bikes are heavy, and while I haven't gotten to the nursing home stage in life, the old saying...work smarter not harder...comes to mind to make it easier on my old body.

Now I'm with you when it comes to transporting any bike longer distances such as on trips or big riding venues. My suggestion above was made for the cases where I'm riding local trails where I won't be exposing the bike to a bunch of rain or road grime on a rear vehicle rack while going to the trails for the day. I see or assume that you're in England...though there is a Weymouth, Mass in the US...so I get your climate conditions are often wet, muddy, and such. For longer trips or cross country traveling with my bike(s), I have a toy hauler that I will be camping in. For sure, I'm not going to be exposing the bike to questionable weather conditions for long highway travel for days at a time.

And of course putting the heavy emtb in the back of the toy hauler is an easy task...roll it right up the back door/ramp. I'm with you on security and the welfare of the bike from harsh elements when it comes to longer trips and days. I used to do Moab, Utah for quite a few days at a time before I got the toy hauler, but with the bikes in the back of the van, they stayed secure and out of the weather.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
Dumb question for those who use a regular hitch style rack but not a ramp -- when you say you lift the front tire in and then the back, I assume that means you start parallel to the rack, and then after lifting move the wheel sideways into the rack, and then the same for the back?

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Dumb question for those who use a regular hitch style rack but not a ramp -- when you say you lift the front tire in and then the back, I assume that means you start parallel to the rack, and then after lifting move the wheel sideways into the rack, and then the same for the back?
When you say "lift" you don't really have to lift the front wheel with your hands to put it into most front wheel holders on most bumper hitch tray racks. There is usually a hold down arm or hoop the grabs the front wheel/tire. This would usually allow you to stand the bike on the rear wheel by holding the rear brake. Then roll the bike like a unicycle to set the front wheel into its holder. If the front wheel holder has a hold down arm, hoop, or just any way to secure the front wheel, you can now lift the rear wheel into its tray or holder. The only actual lifting you've done is the rear half of the bike, and if the front wheel is secured, you have more of a lever assist when you pick up the rear of the bike.

Now, I'm sure it's possible to find some hitch racks that will use a different system to where my suggestion may not work, but I think most decent racks will accommodate this technique or something similar...but not roof racks obviously.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
When you say "lift" you don't really have to lift the front wheel with your hands to put it into most front wheel holders on most bumper hitch tray racks. There is usually a hold down arm or hoop the grabs the front wheel/tire. This would usually allow you to stand the bike on the rear wheel by holding the rear brake. Then roll the bike like a unicycle to set the front wheel into its holder. If the front wheel holder has a hold down arm, hoop, or just any way to secure the front wheel, you can now lift the rear wheel into its tray or holder. The only actual lifting you've done is the rear half of the bike, and if the front wheel is secured, you have more of a lever assist when you pick up the rear of the bike.

Now, I'm sure it's possible to find some hitch racks that will use a different system to where my suggestion may not work, but I think most decent racks will accommodate this technique or something similar...but not roof racks obviously.
Thanks, true, I did see that about pulling it up on the front wheel. But that wasn't my concern, I guess I didn't explain it very well. But I found a video that explained exactly what you are talking about and it was exactly how I was assuming it had to be done. He made it look very easy. Although it would still be lifting more than half the weight of the bike.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
I suspect the T5 is a bit larger than a typical minivan. I don't see any specs on the overall height or length of bikes, just about all the other individual pieces. Do bikes typically fit upright in anything smaller than a full-size van without removing the front wheel?

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I suspect the T5 is a bit larger than a typical minivan. I don't see any specs on the overall height or length of bikes, just about all the other individual pieces. Do bikes typically fit upright in anything smaller than a full-size van without removing the front wheel?

I had a Ford Transit Connect with shelves on either side. It would easily hold a single bike. With no shelves, it would easily have held two, maybe three bikes. Later I had a Chevrolet City Express, which was really a rebadged Nissan NV200 (I think that's the model).

Both these are economical means of carrying bikes. The goofy "clown car" sizing wouldn't be my first choice for negotiating the dirt roads in your area.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
I had a Ford Transit Connect with shelves on either side. It would easily hold a single bike. With no shelves, it would easily have held two, maybe three bikes. Later I had a Chevrolet City Express, which was really a rebadged Nissan NV200 (I think that's the model).

Both these are economical means of carrying bikes. The goofy "clown car" sizing wouldn't be my first choice for negotiating the dirt roads in your area.
Thanks, I was wondering about those.

gsum

Jul 31, 2021
Lake District
VW Caddy Maxi - perfect size, not too big nor too small and drives like a car. Just tall enough so that you can wheel bikes in without removing wheels. Get a crew van if you need to carry more that two people. Sorry, can't help with the lifting other than to suggest an Orbea Rise or similar.

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
2" receiver on your vehicle. Choose any vehicle you want that takes a 2" receiver.
The Kuat NV 2.0 easily handles 2 x 60 lb bikes.
Loading ramp:

PNWmtnBKR

Subscriber
Feb 5, 2024
WA, USA
I have the Quikr out of Colorado. They license the 1up design but made it better. They sell a ramp that attaches to the rack to you roll your ebike up, which I bought for my wife.
The rack is fantastic. Super quick to take on /off. Plus they’ll match the keys each time you buy. Nothing better.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I realize this is kind of a generic question, but we are about to embark on the emtb trail and have no way of transporting the bikes - neither of our current cars can hold them nor are they ideal for putting a hitch on. So I will be getting a new vehicle and am open to anything. I'm looking mainly for the best option for transporting them, but that may involve a specific vehicle. My main issue is I have a bad back and want an option where we don't have to lift them, I want to be able to roll them into/onto something.

My preference would be to get a Transit or Sprinter van and put the bikes inside, but the prices have gone crazy the last few years, and this vehicle will be our main vehicle and not sure my wants to drive something like that. (I don't want a Ram ProMaster.) I don't know if any other vehicles are large enough to hold them upright.

It seems like a ramp into a truck bed would need to be way too long, so I was planning on getting a truck or SUV and using a hitch rack with a ramp. I know there are disadvantages with hitch racks, so I was thinking maybe a utility trailer, possible even an enclosed one. But these would be more of a hassle to have to hitch up and find parking for and such.

P.S. If a hitch rack, I think a 2" class 3 hitch is the minimum but class 4 is probably sturdier. I would also like a vehicle that can comfortably go to off-road trailheads, but nothing too extreme, as it has to drive nice on the road as well. I rented a Jeep Wrangler for a day as I've always wanted one, but we didn't like it on-road.
If it's inside it's safer , nobody likes leaving a expensive bike on show. Just tried this tonight for first time in camper.

20240511_205839.jpg

musicman

Oct 30, 2023
SD
We have found that with 2 Giant stance e+ bikes the best method for us is a 5x10 trailer with e track to tie them down, out of the weather, out of sight for the thieves, and a stand tools, and charging station all built in.

Shorty4

Nov 7, 2022
Australia
We have a small enclosed trailer with gullwing doors on both sides and the rear.
Two Yakima High Road racks bolted to the floor hold the bikes by the wheels so very easy to roll them up a small ramp and onto the racks. We've towed the trailer outback here in Australia for thousands of kilometres behind our 4wd without any wear and tear on the bikes and they're secure at all times.
We previously had them on a rack on the rear of the 4wd but they needed a complete rebuild after one trip due to dust and moisture wrecking everything. Plus they were exposed to theft whenever we left the vehicle to visit places on foot.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Binhill, if I broke into that car and saw that pile of parts, I'd just walk away. Too much work for a lazy thief. :ROFLMAO:
Haha Aye but I was in the bed sleeping I can take in back but cramped tried that for a change .Only had van 7 years every days a school day. Oops just remembered the roofs still up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles