All Turbo...I mean Boost...All the Time!

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I've spent the last ~2 years riding a 2019 Tubo Levo Expert. I ride 99.9% in Turbo mode (and have only killed the battery once *knock wood*). So I wanted to post something about the Rise from the perspective of someone who does NOT try to squeeze mileage out of his e-bike. I bought an e-bike to have maximum fun in minimum time :)

I've only done 1 ride, but I have to say the Rise is VERY impressive. I put it in "Profile 2", as the "Profile 1" Boost mode is quite detuned. I did a typical 17 mile loop on local trails, all in Boost. Duration was a little over an hour. I had 32% battery left. On the Levo I would typically have 40-45% I think. Average speed was 15MPH which is comparable to my Levo on these trails. My Levo is derestricted, so I can push that to ~16MPH since there's a good amount of flat sections. I was definitely working harder, but I am nonetheless VERY impressed with the power and range.

Also impressed with how well the Rise rides after the cutoff. It is very seamless when you go over the limit, and doesn't feel like such a huge effort vs what a Turbo Levo feels like when the motor cuts off (it's like hitting a wall!).

With a range extender I think I will have no problem doing the exact same rides that I do now on my Levo, all in Boost mode. Even without the extender, I think I can manage most rides that I do, still in Boost mode. I usually only ride between 1-2 hours.

I have a state park nearby where you can easily get 4000-5000 ft of climbing in under 20 miles. That will be the next test for the Rise.

One footnote: the estimated range provided by the Shimano system is useless. Mine said ~8 miles for pretty much the entire ride, beginning end.

Last edited:

Roc

Oct 13, 2021
Belgium
I've spent the last ~2 years riding a 2019 Tubo Levo Expert. I ride 99.9% in Turbo mode (and have only killed the battery once *knock wood*). So I wanted to post something about the Rise from the perspective of someone who does NOT try to squeeze mileage out of his e-bike. I bought an e-bike to have maximum fun in minimum time :)

I've only done 1 ride, but I have to say the Rise is VERY impressive. I put it in "Profile 2", as the "Profile 1" Boost mode is quite detuned. I did a typical 17 mile loop on local trails, all in Boost. Duration was a little over an hour. I had 32% battery left. On the Levo I would typically have 40-45% I think. Average speed was 15MPH which is comparable to my Levo on these trails. My Levo is derestricted, so I can push that to ~16MPH since there's a good amount of flat sections. I was definitely working harder, but I am nonetheless VERY impressed with the power and range.

Also impressed with how well the Rise rides after the cutoff. It is very seamless when you go over the limit, and doesn't feel like such a huge effort vs what a Turbo Levo feels like when the motor cuts off (it's like hitting a wall!).

With a range extender I think I will have no problem doing the exact same rides that I do now on my Levo, all in Boost mode. Even without the extender, I think I can manage most rides that I do, still in Boost mode. I usually only ride between 1-2 hours.

I have a state park nearby where you can easily get 4000-5000 ft of climbing in under 20 miles. That will be the next test for the Rise.

One footnote: the estimated range provided by the Shimano system is useless. Mine said ~8 miles for pretty much the entire ride, beginning end.
You are speaking about the Rise but which model is it ?
Thanks

Roc

Oct 13, 2021
Belgium
So nice bike :love:
I don’t know the price of a Levo Expert. Do the prices of both are equivalent ?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
So nice bike :love:
I don’t know the price of a Levo Expert. Do the prices of both are equivalent ?
The 2019 Expert was around $8000, but that's not really a fair comparison given what has happened to prices since then. The current Expert costs $11000.

Anyway my Levo was far from stock:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles