Question about upgrading components at time of purchase

Buggbairn

Subscriber
Sep 13, 2021
Falkirk
Hi All, I'm looking at buying an M20 but fancied upgrading the forks and shocks at the time of purchase, excuse me if this sounds a silly question but does that mean the bike would have to come straight from the factory and any online stores offering this bike would not be able to carry out the upgrades pre purchase?

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Hi All, I'm looking at buying an M20 but fancied upgrading the forks and shocks at the time of purchase, excuse me if this sounds a silly question but does that mean the bike would have to come straight from the factory and any online stores offering this bike would not be able to carry out the upgrades pre purchase?
Correct. Bikes come as specked unless you customize in My0, but now you'll be waiting until 2023. I've seen some GREAT Bike shops order the custom MyO bikes with the updated spec that they know will be wanted by a pending customer. If you have a good relationship with your bike shop, sometimes they will swap the fork/shock for an upcharge, but in these times it's less likely. The best thing to do is buy as is and upgrade yourself, then sell the other parts. I pulled off new parts that I'm keeping and will throw back on one day when I sell the bike.
Over the past 6 months I've seen several new Rise take off shocks and a fox 36 for sale on Pinkbike, here, ect. Good luck.

Buggbairn

Subscriber
Sep 13, 2021
Falkirk
Those were my suspicions, and I think I'll settle for the 34s then sell them on once/if I feel the need to still upgrade.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Yup.I wanted upgrades to my M20 collected last week and was told it would be 2023 and no guarantee when As is it mine came with mismatched brake levers as it was all they could get hold of

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
The only available type within 500km radius to me was the M20, so i switched pretty much everything. Too bad the brakes are deore since it's not easy to upgrade to 4pot in the back unless you drop the motor or just get the M6020 (like I did) because the cable end doesn't fit SLX, XT and XTR. The parts I pulled off are sold and since they were brand new it didn't cost that much to upgrade almost the entire bike. Rides like a dream now.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I think the Rise is a far better bike with a stiffer/taller fork than the 34. At a minimum, see if you can get an air shaft to add 10-20mm travel to the 34.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles