• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Zee on 42t cassette?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Don't.

The Zee FR mech has a slightly longer link plate adapter than the DH Zee/Saint to allow it to work on 111-36 cassettes. the DH version is only rated to 28t
it has a super short cage for this reason. And was never intended to run a larger cassette than 36T or larger capacity difference than 25T
If you make it work with a 42T cassette by bodging it or adding a longer aftermarket link it'll still have poor tension in the 11T.. especially taking FS chaingrowth into account.
RD-M640-SS

Run the 11-36 as it's meant to... you have a motor

I'm running a ZeeFR mech with an 11-25 cassette on my commuting wheelset and 11-36T on my off road wheelset. Both with a 36T chainring... neither are lacking on the hills even in Eco

If you really need a 42T sprocket run a 10 speed M7000 SLX or M6000 Deore mech

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Or if you really have to have a Zee for the slightly better ground clearance, settle on a 11-40T cassette. I ran this this combo on a previous hardtail bike and it does work but as Gary highlighted the limit of the Zee's capacity (28T) is less than the cassettes range (40-11=29) so not sure if a FS bike will allow this.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hardtails don't have chaingrowth.
Depending on the bike (suspension kinematics and travel) an FS mtb can have as much as 6 links of chain growth throughout it's full travel.
The Zee won't cover that plus your preferred 11-42 cassette and stay in tension on the smallest sprocket.

As for ground clearance, Just look where you're going and stop smashing your rear mech into stuff

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I used to run a Zee short cage mech on a hardtail with 11- 42. It worked, but it’s not a combination that works on all frames. Depends a lot on the hanger ect. Won’t work on a full suspension bike.

And when I say it worked, there was way accelerated wear of the chain and cassette especially because of a lot less chain wrap.
It can be done and ridden, but it’s not great ?‍♂️

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Or if you really have to have a Zee for the slightly better ground clearance, settle on a 11-40T cassette. I ran this this combo on a previous hardtail bike and it does work but as Gary highlighted the limit of the Zee's capacity (28T) is less than the cassettes range (40-11=29) so not sure if a FS bike will allow this.
Zee FR wouldn't work on my Full suspension (trance e+) with the 11-40. Not only was shifting less than steller on the stand (too much free chain length with the B screw adjusted to make the stretch to the 40t cog), with the suspension compressed the chain take-up wasnt sufficient. I didn't bother with trying a goat link, just swapped back to 11-36 until I tore the zee off on a stick or something that lodged in the cage while climbing.

I'm now running the xt medium cage 11 speed derailleur with an 11-40 10 speed cassette, and 10 speed xt shifter. Its held up better than I thought it would.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles