Yamaha PW-X3 / Giant Syncdrive Pro2 Overheating issues

Marc1006

Oct 10, 2019
Bavaria
Hi there, did anybody ever had overhaeting issues with a Yamaha PW-X3 / Giant Syncdrive Pro2 motor?
Mine is a Giant Syncdrive Pro2 in a 2022 Reign E+1 and Overheating appears mostly when riding the bike in mid gears and high assistance over longer ascents. The LED starts flashing and power is reduced to the lower level until you stop and give the motor time to cool down. Shorter ascents (200-250 altitude meters) even in boost work fine.

Bad-Latitude

Aug 21, 2022
Simi Valley
I had this issue recently on my ‘22 reign e2. I was about 6 miles into a climb in about 80 degree weather. I stopped for a couple of min and it went back to normal. I’ve had the bike about a year and it has never happened before even with the extreme heat last summer. I’m assuming it is from one of the newer updates.

Marc1006

Oct 10, 2019
Bavaria
Thanks for replay, your assumption might probably be right. As i remember the bike worked properly well until middle of May, when i made second last update. Afterwards i had this issue every time on longer climbs, With last software update beginning of July i only had it once.
Could be interesting if other owners notice the same. If it`s because of the software Giant could fix it with another update. I definitely won`t bring the bike to the dealer in high season and wait weeks for a motor replacement...

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Thanks for replay, your assumption might probably be right. As i remember the bike worked properly well until middle of May, when i made second last update. Afterwards i had this issue every time on longer climbs, With last software update beginning of July i only had it once.
Could be interesting if other owners notice the same. If it`s because of the software Giant could fix it with another update. I definitely won`t bring the bike to the dealer in high season and wait weeks for a motor replacement...
I've found the update to not provide as much boost in the top power. Why they keep fucking with this stuff is beyond me. Hopefully over the Summer all is well here in NZ.

Marc1006

Oct 10, 2019
Bavaria
I luckily don't have any charging problems by now. I found another thread for the 2022 Reign e+ and many others report same overheating issues after last update. Let's hope it's only because of the software and Giant recognizes this and solves this very annoying problem with next update. Besides that it's a great Bike that makes a lot of fun.

Rmh1

Nov 27, 2022
Uk
I was in my lbs this weekend, where I bought my giant reign from and according to the mechanic, giant know about the last couple of updates causing issues with the motor and charging. Hopefully they get it sorted soon.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
As posted in another thread, I got the overheating warning last ride, but it was a hot day (~30 degrees C in shade), I was on an impossible climb, in highest mode, in the sun for ~20 minutes. The last update I did was in April (to get access to full motor tuning).

I did not stop, the bike went into mode 3 towards the end of the climb, when I got on an uphill paved road the blinking light stopped, I was able to go back into higher modes, but after a few minutes it went back into overheating protection.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Update on this: A bit annoyed as I have had multiple overheating issues pretty much every weekend.

By far the main culprit is: high assistance, long pedals and high ambient temperature. Basically, in summer (28-32 degree celcius in my region), if I head out in the highest or second highest assistance modes, I will get an overheating protection bumping me down into the 3rd mode after about 20-25minutes of constant climbing (roughly 400m vertical).

I had read that the problem was Giant setting a rather low temperature as the threshold for activating the protection, now I'm not so convinced: Touching the motor it is searing hot. Someone mentioned this somewhere, but the complete lack of ventilation to the motor casing surely plays a part. This also causes the issue that the motor does not cool down much, so if you persist (I often do 1000m continuous climbs), the motor will go into protection mode every 10 minutes after the first one.

Has anyone tried any hacks to improve things? I was considering buying a second battery cover and drilling some ventilation holes into it for summer rides. I also wonder whether the plastic "giant" circular cover has any function.

Basek

Jul 26, 2024
Maribor
I have or we have problems, several owners, on Reign e+2/2022, Reign e+1/2022, and 2 x Reign e+0 2023, constant overheating.
Giant service changes engines, do resets, updates with tester and no success.
The only difference is that after the update you only feel how it takes power, but the indicators light up normally, which was not the case before the update and the indicators were warning.
Humiliating and underestimating customers!
Does anyone have any information or morreebit solution other than legal because Giant is making a fool of the owners.

Madonas

Dec 21, 2020
Delta BC
I have a 2023 Giant reign e+3 since Feb of 2023. It has 3200 km on it now .
The Sync drive motor has never overheated or pulled power while climbing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles