Winter clothing

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
I commute and use the Altura Nightvision selection with the ol' base layers on cold mornings.
I use Altura Cyclone jackets, Altura Nightvision overtrousers and gloves. Good stuff and good value. (y)

Next on my list are Endura overshoes because my 510s get waterlogged like hell and they take about 5 decades to dry out! :LOL:

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
microfleece beanie as a helmet liner (thank you mips), and my old fox launch knee / shin guards keep my legs plenty toasty? seriously though, how do you keep your feet warm? seems impossible.?‍♂️ -

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Five10 Free-rider EPS shoes Seal Skins Mid length socks
Long bib tights
Various different knee pads depending on where I am riding
Race face Agent waterproof shorts
Base layer, with riding t-shirt/similar over
Altura 2L Jacket, can't remember which one but its great.
Fox Attack gloves
Lazer Dissent snowboard helmet, that is cycling approved.

Lazer helmet is a real game changer, keeps you nice and warm on really cold days:

https://fat-bike.com/2015/04/lazer-dissent-the-long-term-winter-wear-review/

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Thermal base layer and a waterproof/windproof jacket.
Black jeans with a lot of gorilla tape.
The worlds oldest Etnies with soles more flexible than a slinky.
Fox sidewinder polar gloves.
1 normal sock, 1 ski sock over the top (on each foot)

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
I really struggle with cold finger ends.
I cycled to work this morning and it was around 1degreeC before wind chill and my Endura gloves felt good except my finger tips.

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
I really struggle with cold finger ends.
I cycled to work this morning and it was around 1degreeC before wind chill and my Endura gloves felt good except my finger tips.
For winter riding it's most important not to block the blood flow. When choosing glove size always try them on with you (or some other bike), sit on it, grab the bars, put your weight on your hands - your finger tips should not push hard against the fabric, it's ok if glove fingers are a bit loose when hands are not on the bar, this will give some room for your finger tips and you will feel much warmer. Try this.

For winter rides (up to -25 celsius) I use:
Kalas diamond jacket with additional built in zippered chest warmer and hood-balaclava.
Kalas bib tights - the cold weather model.
A fleece.
A set of moist wicking underwear
A pair of 80% and more merino wool socks, long enough to cover the calfs (try Icebreaker)
A pair of 45NRTH Sturmfist4 (no additional liner, but with loose finger fit)
Lake MZ303 boots
Snowboard helmet with ear covers and a mask.
I would take off some of the pieces depending on the outside temp. This setup is really flexible, quite comfy and keeps me warm )

You can order Kalas wear either from their e-shop or custom made to your size and with custom prints (see my avatar - this is custom design). It's high quality bike clothing at reasonable price. We might as well order a eMTB forum style design as an option for cold weather uniform for the members.
Rob if this might be of interest I can give you the contacts.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles