Review winter bike cleaning

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A bucket of hot soapy water with various brushes and sponges. The soap is the cheapest non-wax car shampoo that I can find. Hope Sh1t Shifter (a brake-friendly degreaser) for the oily bits. And a watering can filled from the water butt for wetting and rinsing off. I use a wood-backed bristle brush for the tyres and pedals.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
ive got a mobile mobi bike wash witch is good just wondering what most of you use after a winter ride
The same ..and the bike is washed immediately from the car ( 12v plug in) at the end of the ride during winter months using Muc-Off and a 4" paint brush .
It's amazing how much product you save by rinsing the bike first then applying the ( brand of your choice ) by spraying it onto the brush and "painting" the bike .
It's a top tip shared with me by @The EMF 👌👍🏻

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Use the Mobi straight from the car especially after coming off the Cheviots and the bike being covered in sheep detritus.
I use True Tension bike cleaning gel (as @The Hodge mentioned squirt into a paint brush head) after initial rinse off. I have to travel minimum 40 minutes to my nearest trails so when the salts been spread on the roads I always rinse the bike and its carrier off with cold water and dry off before sticking them in the shed
As for the oily bits I use an Aldi chain cleaner with a commercial aqueous citrus degreaser.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
The same ..and the bike is washed immediately from the car ( 12v plug in) at the end of the ride during winter months using Muc-Off and a 4" paint brush .
It's amazing how much product you save by rinsing the bike first then applying the ( brand of your choice ) by spraying it onto the brush and "painting" the bike .
It's a top tip shared with me by @The EMF 👌👍🏻
Have to try this tip, thanks mates.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
First off I use silicon shine on my frame and wheel rims and that helps to stop mud etc sticking.

My bikes live indoors so I have to do enough cleaning of the bike after a mucky ride to bring them in without making a mess. They sit on a fairly large area of barrier mat so they dont have to be immaculate!
So the initial clean consists of leaving it as long as I can to dry, then using both stiff bristle and softer brushes to brush off the majority of mud ......especially the down tube and tyres.
Usually the next day the bike goes on the stand in the garage and I remove both wheels. They get taken outside by a garden tap/hose, tyres/rims and cassette sprayed with bike cleaner ( Motoverde MX) and rinsed off with the hose.......wheels kept vertical so no water ingress to hubs...left to dry.
Frame brushed clean...damp cloth if required in places, all pivot points brushed and given a drip of wet lube...wiped clean with pipe cleaners. Degrease chain and jockey wheels and lube. Wipe frame and rims with cloth sprayed with silicon shine.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
First off I use silicon shine on my frame and wheel rims and that helps to stop mud etc sticking.

My bikes live indoors so I have to do enough cleaning of the bike after a mucky ride to bring them in without making a mess. They sit on a fairly large area of barrier mat so they dont have to be immaculate!
So the initial clean consists of leaving it as long as I can to dry, then using both stiff bristle and softer brushes to brush off the majority of mud ......especially the down tube and tyres.
Usually the next day the bike goes on the stand in the garage and I remove both wheels. They get taken outside by a garden tap/hose, tyres/rims and cassette sprayed with bike cleaner ( Motoverde MX) and rinsed off with the hose.......wheels kept vertical so no water ingress to hubs...left to dry.
Frame brushed clean...damp cloth if required in places, all pivot points brushed and given a drip of wet lube...wiped clean with pipe cleaners. Degrease chain and jockey wheels and lube. Wipe frame and rims with cloth sprayed with silicon shine.
Thorough 😍

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
During the pandemic when bikes were in short supply, I sold my grandson's bike to our Forum leader for his daughter. He later posted a picture of it and I could not believe how good it looked! He told me that the secret was "Silicon Shine". I rushed out and bought an aerosol can of the stuff. It works! I always get the bike clean, but this stuff makes it shine and has an amazing effect on the rims. Recommended. :)

Before and after
Rim before Shine.jpg
Rim after Shine.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles