windshield solution????

hogicid

Jun 2, 2023
United States
Hello everyone.

I decided today I would try making a windshield mod for my dl650. Here's what we did. I had an old faceshield from my now dead previous helmet. That is a topic for another thread....how come it is dead now....but I took one of those shields and held it up to the windshield near the top. It turns out that when you partially straighten the extra curvature the shield has out and hold it up to the windshield, it is just a little too wide. I used a belt sander with very coarse sandpaper to grind down the mounting boss molded into the shield and to cut the extra width off the sides. I then drilled four 1/2" holes near the bottom of it, spaced about 2.5" apart equidistant apart across the width of the shield. I then took some 2" clear plastic suction cups like are used to hang signs in windows and took the metal hooks out of the back of them and force-fit them into the holes I had drilled. Then I flexed the shield and attached it to the windshield and voila! we have about a 2 1/2 inch height extension along with a laminar lip kind of construction. The suction cups hold so tightly due to the flex tension on the face shield that you'd probably break the windshield before the cups would let go, yet they can be removed easily enough by sliding a fingernail under each one. I have not had a chance to road test this mod yet due to wet weather here. It has been stormy and windy and even though I am excited about trying this thing out, I will wait for better weather. One 'feature' of this mod is the curvature of the face shield is the inverse of the top of the windshield. So it is taller than original but it also has a more laid back angle compared with the bare windshield. I am hoping that this will tame enough of the turbulent air hitting me as I ride to make me more comfortable. If it works at all, it will be well worth the $5 it cost to get the suction cups at my local hardware store.

I hope my descriptions are detailed enough that people get the idea of what I am doing without having to post pictures. Being new to the forum I do not yet know how to do that but I wanted to share what I was working on.

hogicid

Jun 2, 2023
United States
Hello everyone.

I decided today I would try making a windshield mod for my dl650. Here's what we did. I had an old faceshield from my now dead previous helmet. That is a topic for another thread....how come it is dead now....but I took one of those shields and held it up to the windshield near the top. It turns out that when you partially straighten the extra curvature the shield has out and hold it up to the windshield, it is just a little too wide. I used a belt sander with very coarse sandpaper to grind down the mounting boss molded into the shield and to cut the extra width off the sides. I then drilled four 1/2" holes near the bottom of it, spaced about 2.5" apart equidistant apart across the width of the shield. I then took some 2" clear plastic suction cups like are used to hang signs in windows and took the metal hooks out of the back of them and force-fit them into the holes I had drilled. Then I flexed the shield and attached it to the windshield and voila! we have about a 2 1/2 inch height extension along with a laminar lip kind of construction. The suction cups hold so tightly due to the flex tension on the face shield that you'd probably break the windshield before the cups would let go, yet they can be removed easily enough by sliding a fingernail under each one. I have not had a chance to road test this mod yet due to wet weather here. It has been stormy and windy and even though I am excited about trying this thing out, I will wait for better weather. One 'feature' of this mod is the curvature of the face shield is the inverse of the top of the windshield. So it is taller than original but it also has a more laid back angle compared with the bare suzuki v strom windscreen. I am hoping that this will tame enough of the turbulent air hitting me as I ride to make me more comfortable. If it works at all, it will be well worth the $5 it cost to get the suction cups at my local hardware store.

I hope my descriptions are detailed enough that people get the idea of what I am doing without having to post pictures. Being new to the forum I do not yet know how to do that but I wanted to share what I was working on.
thanks in advance for any help

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Posting pictures is easy. look on the task bar just above where you are typing. Run the cursor slowly across the individual items to see what they do. One of them is a rectangle with some wiggly lines inside (meant to be a sun shining on a mountain I guess), that is the one you want. click on it and follow the instructions.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles