WHYTE e-160 RS v3 Or TREK Rail 9 GK

BIG RED AL

Jun 21, 2021
Shoreham-by-sea
Hi there
New to emtb, though have hired a few times and been riding hard tails for years.
Want to buy a really good e bike
Boiled it down to these two.
Torn as Whyte looks slightly better ride.
But trek is bike of the year, really good battery system, display and nice design details and features. Also whyte is 2022 model whereas Trek is 2021.
I am 6ft 4 around 120kg so big lad.
Do all kinds of riding trial, cross country, bike parks and would like to do more downhill
Any thoughts? Also is this the right thread or should I put it in General thread??
Cheers al

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’ve put some miles on the V1 Whyte and a lot on a Rail. If you want 27.5 it’s the Whyte, if you want 29 it’s the Rail or a different Whyte. For what it’s worth, I like my Rail better as a Mullet and best as a full 27.5. Go figure…

The Whyte is a PITA to get the battery out so if you can’t charge it with the battery in that’s worth factoring in to your decision.

IMHO the Rail is better looking.

I wouldn’t want to have to choose between those two TBH, but you won’t be disappointed with either.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
The Whyte is a PITA to get the battery out so if you can’t charge it with the battery in that’s worth factoring in to your decision.

I wouldn’t want to have to choose between those two TBH, but you won’t be disappointed with either.
It's never occured to me that there would be bikes that wouldn't charge with the battery in? I assumed they were all like the Rail.
In hindsight after having a rattly battery & only taking it out a handful of times I'm not sure if having the easy battery removal like the Rail would be that important to me if I was buying again.
I've been looking for a cheap 27.5 rear to try a mullet for size however since it is all the rage at the moment the only thing that pop up are 27.5 front wheels

BIG RED AL

Jun 21, 2021
Shoreham-by-sea
It's never occured to me that there would be bikes that wouldn't charge with the battery in? I assumed they were all like the Rail.
In hindsight after having a rattly battery & only taking it out a handful of times I'm not sure if having the easy battery removal like the Rail would be that important to me if I was buying again.
I've been looking for a cheap 27.5 rear to try a mullet for size however since it is all the rage at the moment the only thing that pop up are 27.5 front wheels
To be fair you can charge the Whyte with the battery in. Issue is more if you want to take it out to charge in the house. It seems like there is no question Rail is easier to take the battery out.

BIG RED AL

Jun 21, 2021
Shoreham-by-sea
if I recall, the Whyte has longer reach and greater stack height in XL than the Rail, which could be significant if you're 6' 4"
True. Though some others have said 29er better for taller rider too. Best explanation I heard today was Rail = cruiser, Whyte = rally car.

BIG RED AL

Jun 21, 2021
Shoreham-by-sea
I’ve put some miles on the V1 Whyte and a lot on a Rail. If you want 27.5 it’s the Whyte, if you want 29 it’s the Rail or a different Whyte. For what it’s worth, I like my Rail better as a Mullet and best as a full 27.5. Go figure…

IMHO the Rail is better looking.

Grear feedback thanks. Erring towards Trek for pure battery ease as my garage is 200m from my house. And yes Rail is better looking. Whyre maybe a bit more sporty. Dial has swung towards Rail sadly as i'd love to buy British!

BIG RED AL

Jun 21, 2021
Shoreham-by-sea
In case anyone interested - ended up with the Whyte - she's a beaut!
And drives like bike version of porsche with the comfort of a Rolls!
IMG_7390.jpg

IMG_7405.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
You made the right choice ..the bike is a beast ..and ..( touch wood ) mine hasnt flickered in all sorts of riding conditions so far ..
But there are so many good reports about the Trek you wouldnt really have made a wrong choice tbf ...

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
@BIG RED AL congrats on your purchase! You won't regret it one bit...I would have bought the Whyte (prefer the 29er version)... but ease of battery removal was a huge plus for me and swung me towards the Rail. Rails also tend to be a bit cheaper down under although very good spec on the RS Whyte ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles