Why is my drivetrain making this rumbling sound/sensation after degreasing/lubing for first time?(video)

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
So I just did my first proper clean of my new e-bike drivetrain. I used muc off drivetrain cleaner left it on the chainring/derailleur/cassette and chain for 5 minutes and gave it all a really good scrub with brushes and then rinsed it all off with water and then let dry, I then used muc off dry lube one drop on the inside of each roller left for 5 mins and then wiped excess with bit of cotton tshirt. Left for few hours then went for ride and it make this rumbling noise, so then next day I did the same thing but instead of the drivetrain cleaner I used muc offs bio degreaser spray and this time gave it extra flush with water and made extra sure it was dry using a hair blowdryer on the chain.

It seems like the rumbling feeling is mostly coming from the derailleur spindles, but I can feel it through the pedals.

I'm using a 12 speed SLX cassette with a 12 speed deore chain and an XT derailleur. It was fine before I did the cleaning (except that the chain needing lubricating).

Video:

Thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Have you engaged the chain with the narrow/wide teeth correctly. You probably got the chainring right, but I read somewhere recently that some jockey wheels come with narrow wide too!

Follow the chain route with your eyes and look for any jumping that would indicate that the chain is catching on something, not engaging properly, or even not disengaging properly.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Check that the chain is fed correctly on the jockey wheels and that if you have a chain guide it is not rubbing. Other than that it could just be that you have stripped the chain of any lube....just applying 1 drop of dry lube per link will achieve little to lube it especially if it is still holding water between the pins and the rollers. You need to dry the chain thoroughly and use wet lube. You can be more generous.....leave then wipe clean...dry lube afterwards.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles