Who was lucky? Stilus

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Are you happy to purchase it although the Bosch motor is making that outrageous clunking noise?

I think Yoak summarised it well on your other post: “I would prefer it it be silent of course, but if that sound is the price to pay for a very smooth transition to non assist and no drag at all, it's a price worth paying at the moment.”

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
I think Yoak summarised it well on your other post: “I would prefer it it be silent of course, but if that sound is the price to pay for a very smooth transition to non assist and no drag at all, it's a price worth paying at the moment.”
I agree with totally with Phil, but can also underderstand Trowernators points too.
For me, it boils down to this;
There will never be a perfect motor as e bikes evolve/money and technology comes available. Having looked at other motors and different feedback on each one, not one has everything on my wish list contained all in one package. Even if it simply comes down to price point alone, that will be the factor that will decide what you make the concessions for in the end (for most of us anyway-it can be hard to say to the missus "I'm spending 8-10 grand on a pushbike dear"). I value my private parts..........
I hope a company as big as BOSCH will look at rider feedback in an evergrowing market and help make/supply some sort of fix that can be done at home (modded shaft/pinion/gear profile or materials.
As someone who loves how quiet new bikes have become after years of riding "the old stuff" (good stuff though like P7's etc) , I am happy to clunk a bit on the rough stuff (God knows my body does it all the time after all these years in the saddle ??). Plus your hearing goes after 50 anyway........
Right, now back to checking the Stilus stock ?.

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
To be honest, I think I'd still just buy it to be fair. The noise I can deal with its just the constant worry that whatever is causing the noise is also causing damage

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
France has “En Stock” across the board on all sizes as for the rest of Europe ???
Makes me want to spit ?☹️. Looked at Calais store which says it has them (just looking) and when investigated, the bike cannot be picked up there anyway-it has to be another one somewhere in France!........
Trust pilot are absolutely slamming Decathlon and ordering-not pretty reading I can tell you. 5 stars before covid and now average of 1 star since. Understandable, but the damage to customer confidence will hurt as business ramps up.
France has “En Stock” across the board on all sizes as for the rest of Europe ???

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
To be honest, I think I'd still just buy it to be fair. The noise I can deal with its just the constant worry that whatever is causing the noise is also causing damage
Yeah, fair point.
I do wonder how much the acoustic transmissions from inside the motor have been affected by materials used and the reduced air gaps between them as the motor has reduced in size and increased output (although I know we are talking about stopping pedalling sounds and terrain induced slap) . As with other threads and info, it does also depend on frame material union points and amplification of mounting surfaces. This is akin to the same thing I noticed when stones used to hit the downtube of my old P7 (double butted/barrelled high grade steel tubing), a completely different sound experience compared to the sound deadness of the aluminium bike I now ride).
Only time will tell I suppose. I am probably relying on Bosch's experience, R&D budget capacity and the wide network of suppliers/outlets/levels of industry provision to give me a level of confidence in the resolution/longevity of said motor anomalies.
Cheers.........

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
The Stilus is at the top end of my budget and I am new to the sport. Others have said to get a full suspension especially on a heavy electric bike. So I can’t see any other bike close to this spec at this price so I don’t have any other choice unless I go hardtail. If the motor fails after two years I would have to buy a new motor at around £750 but I would have to spend that now to get another bike close to this spec with another motor. that’s my decision making process if any of that made any sense what so ever ?

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
In my view, and I appreciate everyone is different, the knocking/clunking is a minor thing. I went for a long ride yesterday and noticed it zero times. It's almost like a very slight lag/knock when moving from freewheeling to engaging the motor but in general riding I'm peddling most of the time not freewheeling. I arrived home yesterday after my ride and said to the wife "I f**king love that bike". I didn't say "The ride was ok, I was just really put off by the occasional knocking noise". ;)

In my view the motor is powerful and quiet, and yes, there is a slight knock when going from freewheel to engaging the motor but it is not a showstopper by any means (in my opinion, and I am really anal about shit like this I assure you)...

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
In my view, and I appreciate everyone is different, the knocking/clunking is a minor thing. I went for a long ride yesterday and noticed it zero times. It's almost like a very slight lag/knock when moving from freewheeling to engaging the motor but in general riding I'm peddling most of the time not freewheeling. I arrived home yesterday after my ride and said to the wife "I f**king love that bike". I didn't say "The ride was ok, I was just really put off by the occasional knocking noise". ;)

In my view the motor is powerful and quiet, and yes, there is a slight knock when going from freewheel to engaging the motor but it is not a showstopper by any means (in my opinion, and I am really anal about shit like this I assure you)...
The "I f... love that bike" is the best recommendation yet. I want one more than ever.......
Great justification for the Stilus and BOSCH I've ever heard ?

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
I rode for 45 miles today with 3,200ft of climbing and still had 7 miles of battery left. All of those miles I had a big smile on my face and didn’t notice the “very slight” knock once.

I’d say, rather than hearing the slight knock, it’s more you feel the slight pause/knock when you go from freewheeling to engaging the motor.

As my only EMTB, I’ve just got used to that being the way it is to be honest. Overall the engine is powerful and very quiet so I’m happy and would recommend the bike/motor.

If your a long term rider of EMTB’s and are used to instant power/no knock, I can imagine it could be a little annoying for some.

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
I rode for 45 miles today with 3,200ft of climbing and still had 7 miles of battery left. All of those miles I had a big smile on my face and didn’t notice the “very slight” knock once.

I’d say, rather than hearing the slight knock, it’s more you feel the slight pause/knock when you go from freewheeling to engaging the motor.

As my only EMTB, I’ve just got used to that being the way it is to be honest. Overall the engine is powerful and very quiet so I’m happy and would recommend the bike/motor.

If your a long term rider of EMTB’s and are used to instant power/no knock, I can imagine it could be a little annoying for some.

45 miles is outragous ? can't imagine doing that on my non-EMTB.

I literally cannot wait to get one, I'm just sooooo lost on which one to get. I know I want the Bosch motor over the Shimano which seem to be the main ones used and the others are on bikes out of my price range anyway.

As for the noise, I'm just going to deal with it. Probably going to have issues actually finding a dealer with stock.

I'm going to have a chat with my boss in the week to see if he's alright with me going down the "cycle to work scheme" route to get a big chunk off and it'll allow me to pay in installments.

Hit some jumps hard on my current bike earlier on today and the front Fox forks are knackered. They sink down but don't retract which has swayed me to getting an EMTB even more. Guessing somethings got under the seal or something but that needs sorting ASAP so I can sell it and get my new baby.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Are you happy to purchase it although the Bosch motor is making that outrageous clunking noise?
I'm 850 miles in and I still can't hear it. I rode a Cube today and couldn't hear that rattle either, although the claims he owner can but thinks mine is quieter. I can hear chain slap occasionally though. Perhaps having damaged hearing isn't all bad.

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
I'm 850 miles in and I still can't hear it. I rode a Cube today and couldn't hear that rattle either, although the claims he owner can but thinks mine is quieter. I can hear chain slap occasionally though. Perhaps having damaged hearing isn't all bad.

Sweet, I've got virtually no hearing in my right ear so fingers crossed I'll be all good as well

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles