Which valves to go tubeless on Specialized Levo 2020?

Wuttkea

Aug 17, 2019
Mannheim
Hey everyone,

I am a beginner. I'd like to buy new tires for the winter (Schwalbe Eddy Current). Also, I want to use them tubeless and I have no experience with it.
I was thinking about getting the Milkit Tubeless Kit (https://www.rosebikes.de/milkit-compact-tubeless-ventil-und-nachfullsystem-2673820?product_shape=Standard&showRatings=1#ratings-label ) but it comes in differents variants with valve sizes of 34, 45, 55 and 75 mm.

Also, I saw that there are different width for the tape (eg 22 or 25 mm), depending on the inner width of the rim.

Could you help me telling me which sizes I need? Google didn't help me. Thanks a lot.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Good choice, I really rate them. I have 45mm ones on my 2020 Levo Comp, which is also the size that came with the bike, and they are great. Only possible downside is that the valve tool that comes with the Milkit valves is designed to fit over the stem and is a wee bit short. Doesn't bother me as I have a valve core tool on my multi tool, and Stan's DART, which I eagerly await, has one built in. Can't help with the rim tape as my LBS did all this but don't the wheels come ready traped?

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
My last second Roval wheelsets of Levo and Kenevo were already tubless-ready and i didn´t need a new tape.

Notice, that the thread of the Milkit valve isn´t screwed to the bottom. If the valve is to long, you can´t thighten it on the rim. I have 45mm valves on my 2017 Levo, but i don´t know the correct length for the 2020.

For information...
I used Stans-Notubes standard sealant with the Milkit system, but that was´nt a good decission. This sort of milk sticked the non-return valve of the case together, so i can´t check the pressure with a simple pressure gauge or deflate the tire easily. I´ll remove both soon and wouldn´t buy these valves again. Imho they are not necessary and the standard valves, which came with every Levo are good enough.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
The reason I love them is the ease of filling and checking the quantity and quality of the sealant, and of removing the sealant for reuse when changing the tyre. Stan's standard sealant works for me - not Race. Checking pressure is easy, put a little pressure in with a track pump with a decent guage. To deflate the tyre, use the needle and tap, only ever do that to remove or check the sealant when I need to use the needle anyway. Just my opinion.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
the wheels are taped already, well mine are

just stick the valves in, sealant etc, and off you go.

out of interest how does one "check the quantity and quality of the sealant "

I've been taking the tyre off to do it, which is then not clean enough to seal back up without a lengthy cleaning process of all the gunge from the tyre bead :unsure:

2wheeledwalbert

Apr 16, 2019
Gloucestershire, England

I've been taking the tyre off to do it, which is then not clean enough to seal back up without a lengthy cleaning process of all the gunge from the tyre bead :unsure:
Just take the valve core out and pour it in that way. I use a stans syringe to pour it in.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton

Make sure pressure is below 20psi. Assemble syringe, flexible hose with tap and needle. Take out valve core, inner valve holds the pressure. Close tap, insert needle rotate wheel so valve is at bottom, hold syringe closed, open tap, sealant scooshes into syringe and close tap when bubbles appear. If sealant is clean push it all back in and top up as necessary. Repeat for all wheels of all bikes to save clean up. It really is that clean and simple.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
I've used both Milkit and other "normal" valves with several different makes of sealant. Had no big issues with any of it really... Most sealants provide some sort of top up bottle or similar with their kits.

In terms of valves I think 35mm or 45mm length should do fine for the original 19 rims. Also I think they are 30mm wide if you need tape, though Gorilla tape or similar also works just fine actually.

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
As already said, the standard wheels are taped from the factory (its a very tight non sticky rim tape) and you should of got the valves in the bag of bits with the bike

Just buy some sealant with a dispenser of your choice, the muc off pouches work well and there is no need to measure out any sealant

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Or muc off do the pouch that connects direct to valve. ??‍♂️?

Yes so does the Stan’s, just you can reuse the bottle. It’s cheaper to buy a tub that way ?
Or muc off do the pouch that connects direct to valve. ??‍♂️?

Yes for sure, just Stan's top-up you can re-use. £4 for the sealant and you've got a measured top up bottle. Needs cleaning out though as it does get gunky.

It's pennies on the dollar but saves buying a syringe for £8 or so...Those pouches are a once-only deal..In any case whatever floats your boat..!!

Link here..

2wheeledwalbert

Apr 16, 2019
Gloucestershire, England
Yes so does the Stan’s, just you can reuse the bottle. It’s cheaper to buy a tub that way ?

Yes for sure, just Stan's top-up you can re-use. £4 for the sealant and you've got a measured top up bottle. Needs cleaning out though as it does get gunky.

It's pennies on the dollar but saves buying a syringe for £8 or so...Those pouches are a once-only deal..In any case whatever floats your boat..!!

Link here..
Had the syringe ages, works really good. Does get gunged up though if you don't clean it out. I normally buy a big bottle of stans and leave it in my van. Might try something else If the syringe breaks ?

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
I have read that you should always stick with steel valves, like stan's or E 13 rather than aluminum since the aluminum will break sooner or later. I've never had this happen and have always used the aluminum valves that specialized supplies with the bike. Curious if anyone has ever had one of those aluminum valves break or snap off on a rock smacks into it on the trail?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles