Which is the best DH rated helmet?? End my paralysis by analysis! ???

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Full merry go round like anything to do with mtb!

I bought the Bell super 3r ‘FF’ which turns out to be a crock of sh1t....the chin guard breaks, flexes and stabs into your face like a knife removing teeth and allsorts, wonderful!

Cite: /https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/warning-blood-e-t-c-considering-a-bell-super-3r-think-again.313286/

I hear good things about Fox proframe but any other contenders cheers?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I found there was a unreasonably high number of proframes where people had reported cracks when I was looking.

Fox generally were excellent and replaced them, but a number of people had multiple cracks and didn't trust them I guess a lot depends on the circumstances so you have to read between the lines.

Such as :

There were a few good suggestions in here :

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I found there was a unreasonably high number of proframes where people had reported cracks when I was looking.

Fox generally were excellent and replaced them, but a number of people had multiple cracks and didn't trust them I guess a lot depends on the circumstances so you have to read between the lines.

Such as :

There were a few good suggestions in here :

Cheers my brother from another mother

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
B2E8F862-59A2-4491-A507-64F79B82DACD.png
Omg £13.75 discount too!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You're looking at enduro FF helmets so you need to quantify what you mean by "best".
There's a MASSIVE compromise in protection with Enduro full face helmets as enduro riders need a lightweight and breathable solution for all day riding.
The Best protecting Full face helmets are motocross helmets. Next proper DH helmets
Much like your quest to cover every single part of your body in protective gear you probably don't *need* a full face helmet at all nevermind the "best"
There are negatives for wearing a full face too BTW. They reduce field of vision. which is definitely an issue when spotting landings. Personally when jumping (other than on DH tracks) I hate a chinguard in my field of vision. as it means you have to physically move your neck downwards to spot your landing rather than just glance down with your eyes.

No doubt your next purchase will be a neck brace so I'm putting this here now. You also need to consider which helmet works best with your chosen neck brace

Oh... and to finalise your jigsaw puzzle. In order to work safely, the neck brace you choose has to play nicely with your chosen upper body armour as well.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well, despite being a crash test dummy. As usual I pretty much agree with all that @Gary says.

Helmets, armour - all of that - our requirements/desires/needs are generally based on our perceptions which are based on our experiences.

I briefly tried mountain biking 25 years ago. I was an Idiot and tried/did most things. 15 minutes later lying wet, cold and bruised in a brook I'd tried to jump, I realised I wasn't a natural. Now, after about 20 months of my comeback, I can confirm that I was right.

So for me, each crash, fall, tree hug, unplanned gravity deifying moment, each Newtonian experience which demonstrates just how damned good gravity is - makes me realise how I'm not immortal and need to protect my inept self. So I wear a full face and generally - protection.

If you take @Gary on the other hand. As a younger man (so last year), he would never leave the house without at least 5 CE2 rated XXXL condoms - because, well, you never know do you !

99% of forum members, when in a condom carrying period of life, probably carried one. Life rolled differently for @Gary

You have to remember that some people are different to the rest of us. @Gary's body for instance is like a huge penis. It can be either hard or soft as desired. It bends, flows ... adapts to the situation as required. Rumour has it, he can only be harmed by Kryptonite. Lets face it, when was the last time you saw a warning sign on a MTB trail that said "Beware high natural Kryptonite formations" .

Ultimately, it's all relative. If you watched the DH today from leogang, everyone had a Full Face and everyone had body armour. It was steep, wet, slippy, rooty. It was essential.

Depending on your skill, experience, ability, injury risk concerns .. a damp leaf on a flat fire road may present the same level of risk as it does to a professional.

You have to work out that risk and what concerns you have about potential injury. Equally, you have to balance that with what protection might cause you discomfort and restriction or as @Gary says, restricted vision or hearing which could cause you more danger.

None of us are the same, none of our requirements are the same, we all just have to fish in the huge pond of options and work out what works for us.

For me, I don't find the Mainline restricts my vison at all. Where as my Kenny I find I have to move my head to look down and my peripheral vision is obscured. If I ever go near a road, I do find I consciously concentrate more on my hearing with a full face helmet as you know it's restricted - which is odd as I never did that with a motorcycle helmet. Horses for courses ..

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
everyone had a Full Face and everyone had body armour.
Many actually only wear fairly minimal body armour. knee pads is about the only item ALL riders use. Only Full face helmets are compulsory for Senior riders. Back protectors and gloves are added to that list when the race is on French soil (probably because of some guy in Britany). Juniors have a far bigger list of compulsory protection.

I'm pretty far from risk adverse and absloutely hate "feeling" being removed from any pleasurable activity I partake in. ;)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
'm pretty far from risk adverse and absloutely hate "feeling" being removed from any pleasurable activity I partake in. ;)
My "profile" had you listed as that :) It's the same as your need to feel every rock with 50psi ! ;) :LOL:

Many actually only wear fairly minimal body armour. knee pads is about the only item ALL riders use. Only Full face helmets are compulsory for Senior riders. Back protectors and gloves are added to that list when the race is on French soil (probably because of some guy in Britany). Juniors have a far bigger list of compulsory protection.
EVERYONE had body armour on today. I'm not sure what. You may know more than me, I saw troy lee necks under a few people - but it wasn't 7855, so I wonder if there' a prototype 7955 finally coming ? EVERYONE had good forearm protection. Only Danny Hart and the Aussie back break guy had CE2+ upper back guards.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you mean Brook? He's from New Zealand.
Next World Champs, try paying attention to their national jersey colours ASWELL as their underwear ;)
I do .. and apologies to him ! and all New Zealanders that I've just offended !!!!!! :)

In my defence, I'm colour blind !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Auzzies national jerseys are WHITE, Kiwis' BLACK
So grey then !

If you mean Brook? He's from New Zealand.
Next World Champs, try paying attention to their national jersey colours ASWELL as their underwear ;)
Never discount the importance of underwear watching.

Underwear was initially invented by Neanderthal man due to Neanderthal woman having body hair which stretched from downstairs to the nose.

So the negligee was created !

Unfortunately, this was ultimately the downfall of Neanderthal man. Many a flossing empire has used those 30,000 year old skulls and well preserved teeth to prove - regular flossing promoted good dental hygiene. The massive reduction in regular flossing imposed by the introduction of the negligee caused a rapid reduction in the dental state of Neanderthal man leading to a reduction in life span of Neanderthal man and eventual loss of their race - except for a few who still live amongst us.

Underwear - life changing !

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
So grey then !

Never discount the importance of underwear watching.

Underwear was initially invented by Neanderthal man due to Neanderthal woman having body hair which stretched from downstairs to the nose.

So the negligee was created !

Unfortunately, this was ultimately the downfall of Neanderthal man. Many a flossing empire has used those 30,000 year old skulls and well preserved teeth to prove - regular flossing promoted good dental hygiene. The massive reduction in regular flossing imposed by the introduction of the negligee caused a rapid reduction in the dental state of Neanderthal man leading to a reduction in life span of Neanderthal man and eventual loss of their race - except for a few who still live amongst us.

Underwear - life changing !
Life changing indeed, especially if you really are colour blind. Careful what you wish for! :sick:?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I wanted to know the same so I actually asked two friends of mine who both hold World Cup wins in DH+4X (thought they may know more than me, turns out I was correct ? ).

They basically both said the same:

- Don't follow the brands of the Pros, as they typically are given lids from sponsors. Look at the DH certified test results rather than what the Pros wear. Plus both of them have at least 400 helmets between theme in their 'Trophy rooms", so lids are classed disposable items for them even without impact.

- You only really need a true DH lid if you're riding hardcore DH runs such as Fort Bill or you are going flat out; Enduro lids with DH certification (such as the Bell Super DH Spherical is a good example) are fine for the majority of people.

- In response to carlbikers original question, the 'best DH' helmet, the best today will probably not be the best next week as technology changes often. Well respected brands such as POC, Smith etc are usually good bets. Always make sure its certified.

- In the event of a crash, you get rid of it (yup its expensive but we're riding £5k+ bikes so its relative, and its your brain at the end of the day).

- Gary is correct - when it comes to selecting a 'DH' helmet, one needs to ensure it fits with a neckbrace, which in-turn needs to fit with a shoulder/core support; this means that don't buy one in isolation.

- He is also correct, the majority of "true DH" helmets do restrict peripheral vision, this is tradeoff that people need to consider when choosing a helmet.

- Zimmer and Gary are oddly both correct when it comes to body armour. BUT, the trends are changing. 5 years ago hardly anyone racing professionally wore body armour, the simple reason is that every split second counts, body armour restricts movement and adds weight thus slowing down the rider. This year, there has been guidance from UCI and others that race-riders should wear body armour when possible (not mandatory), this means that we'll see more pro level riders sporting neck braces etc.

- Pro riders are also incentivised to wear body armour and neck braces publicly when riding (such as Danny H etc). This isn't actually to primarily protect them but so that kids and people wanting to get into the sport see body armour as a good thing to wear - thus reducing potential casualties in the future. In fact, LEATT and others are quite open about this with statements such as "Protect the Future" being bounded about.

- Generally they both advised that (a) you cannot predict what is in front of you and regardless of how good a rider you perceive yourself to be (including pros) you may not be able to avoid a problem and (b) most people are now riding in situations well in excess of their capability (the old "of course I ride 50 shades of black at BPW" comes to mind); meaning that its usually better to 'over protect' then under.

- Don't rely on just a lid. Yes your head may be fine but your neck wont. Spend more time and money on proper tuition, training and practice practice practice, take sighting runs - dont pin it blind.

So after a long ramble, there isn't really a best; so pick one that fits you, gives you the level of protection you need and you also like wearing.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I wanted to know the same so I actually asked two friends of mine who both hold World Cup wins in DH+4X (thought they may know more than me, turns out I was correct ? ).

They basically both said the same:

- Don't follow the brands of the Pros, as they typically are given lids from sponsors. Look at the DH certified test results rather than what the Pros wear. Plus both of them have at least 400 helmets between theme in their 'Trophy rooms", so lids are classed disposable items for them even without impact.

- You only really need a true DH lid if you're riding hardcore DH runs such as Fort Bill or you are going flat out; Enduro lids with DH certification (such as the Bell Super DH Spherical is a good example) are fine for the majority of people.

- In response to carlbikers original question, the 'best DH' helmet, the best today will probably not be the best next week as technology changes often. Well respected brands such as POC, Smith etc are usually good bets. Always make sure its certified.

- In the event of a crash, you get rid of it (yup its expensive but we're riding £5k+ bikes so its relative, and its your brain at the end of the day).

- Gary is correct - when it comes to selecting a 'DH' helmet, one needs to ensure it fits with a neckbrace, which in-turn needs to fit with a shoulder/core support; this means that don't buy one in isolation.

- He is also correct, the majority of "true DH" helmets do restrict peripheral vision, this is tradeoff that people need to consider when choosing a helmet.

- Zimmer and Gary are oddly both correct when it comes to body armour. BUT, the trends are changing. 5 years ago hardly anyone racing professionally wore body armour, the simple reason is that every split second counts, body armour restricts movement and adds weight thus slowing down the rider. This year, there has been guidance from UCI and others that race-riders should wear body armour when possible (not mandatory), this means that we'll see more pro level riders sporting neck braces etc.

- Pro riders are also incentivised to wear body armour and neck braces publicly when riding (such as Danny H etc). This isn't actually to primarily protect them but so that kids and people wanting to get into the sport see body armour as a good thing to wear - thus reducing potential casualties in the future. In fact, LEATT and others are quite open about this with statements such as "Protect the Future" being bounded about.

- Generally they both advised that (a) you cannot predict what is in front of you and regardless of how good a rider you perceive yourself to be (including pros) you may not be able to avoid a problem and (b) most people are now riding in situations well in excess of their capability (the old "of course I ride 50 shades of black at BPW" comes to mind); meaning that its usually better to 'over protect' then under.

- Don't rely on just a lid. Yes your head may be fine but your neck wont. Spend more time and money on proper tuition, training and practice practice practice, take sighting runs - dont pin it blind.

So after a long ramble, there isn't really a best; so pick one that fits you, gives you the level of protection you need and you also like wearing.
Great stuff everyone......so then, neck brace being due to the weight?

Interestingly Id factored some options in mainly based on the weight vs price and I was seduced by the shiny green Mainline enduro even at £275 it was like medusa calling me BUT it’s a one hit wonder (end of the day)and only a 30% discount crash replacement scheme......still a contender but I’m aiming at under £200 in an ideal world, that’s light! This is just more practical for learners like myself too. If the POC wasn’t a wannabe motor cross helmet I’d have bought it already, still tempted for £203! But man that weight/size

Viewing restrictions, I’d not really factored this in, I did see mention of either Mainline or POC being the most free of all helmets which is annoying as I’ll have to check this out, that would do my head in!

I stop at the neck brace! Something there should be a warning sign at my ripe young age! ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have never raced DH, but I truly thought the neck brace was to stop your neck being broken in Scorpion falls, not because the helmet was a bit heavier than usual. What is the real reason, anyone?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I have never raced DH, but I truly thought the neck brace was to stop your neck being broken in Scorpion falls, not because the helmet was a bit heavier than usual. What is the real reason, anyone?
I don't even understand how the brace works, it attaches to your helmet, I think, and sits on your shoulders, how does it save a broken neck, when compared to the HAAS, Nascar equivalent from which every other derivative was based on, including F1, I don't understand how it works.

MrSimmo

Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.

Short answer is that is stops (1) your neck snapping to the side or back and (2) prevents the neck compressing virtually. Its supposed to also prevent whiplash but that can actually still happen with the range of movement the brace permits ?

MrSimmo

Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I don't even understand how the brace works, it attaches to your helmet, I think, and sits on your shoulders, how does it save a broken neck, when compared to the HAAS, Nascar equivalent from which every other derivative was based on, including F1, I don't understand how it works.

Some attach to the helmet, some dont and are freestanding. Its mainly motorsport derivatives that have the clips but not exclusively ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles