Which front light for Cube 140 TM 2023 model

PatrikM

Jan 26, 2022
Czech Republic
HI,
I would like to ask, which front light to pick - and mainly can it be operated using the light button on the Kiox? I was looking into ACID E-Bike Front Light PRO-E 110 BES3 - but they have it with 2 options bes2 and bes3 connector - which one would be the right one for my Cube bike? Also, I didn't find any youtube video or any assembly manual which would describe how it should be connected and how to operate it from Kiox (as there is also variant with extra button to put on handle bars)
Thanks
Patrik

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If you’re using or needing a light on a regular basis, such as commuting, I would hardwire a a proper headlight and taillight (if possible).

I personally don’t use my eMTB for commuting but if I did I would want to be seen by other users or vehicles. I use three wireless, and chargeable, lights for night trail riding. Stem mount, helmet mount, and a rear facing red light mounted on the seat tube.

The helmet mounted light is probably the most important for me during trail riding.(GoPro attachment) When used with a stem mount light the night view is much better. Any of these lights can be easily removed, and charged, when not needed. I eventually removed the Bosch/Kiox light wire completely and installed a silicon plug into the vacant connector on the motor.

If I could I would remove everything in the cockpit area but I need brakes. 🤷‍♂️. I use the AXS GX shifter and AXS Reverb dropper which helps cleanup the cockpit.

I haven’t tried the wired lighting system on the Kiox. It’s probably good, but just not for me. Sry I can’t recommend a headlight for you. I use the Bontrager wireless lights and mounts.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hi,
You have BES3. It is connected to the motor and the port in the motor is controlled by the smart control unit / Kiox.

The cable can be laid through the steering head, in the frame (use the cable slots in the plate behind the battery) and then over the motor to the backside of the motor to reach the plugs in the motor. A wire rod will help to draw / pull the cable through steering head (better loosen it) and over the motor.

The port in the motor must be activated by the dealer - if not done on delivery. Need for extra switch on handle bar only if there is low beam and high beam light in the lamp.

Description of ports on motor: Wiring Plan

Last edited:

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
To your question and input by Stihldog: What light?

Well, where do you want to use it? Commuting? Night rides on trails / downhill?

I have a Lupine SL-F on my 2022 TM. Expensive but excellent light for moderate night rides on trails. It has High Beam mode.

Quake100

Feb 6, 2022
Guisborough UK
Just remember though if you wire lights via your battery the Bosch system always reserves 10% of battery to enable to keep bike light on if you run out of power. That's the weigh of you have to consider

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I run a supernova m99 mini pro 25.
Fantastic light with a low and high beam mode.
If I need more I put a light on my helmet

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Just remember though if you wire lights via your battery the Bosch system always reserves 10% of battery to enable to keep bike light on if you run out of power. That's the weigh of you have to consider
AFAIK the setting in the motor software of the smart system must be set to a value meeting Watt-needs of the lamp (including high beam if available). Range 3 - 20 Watts? Otherwise lights might not work, i.e. if set to low to safe battery capacity for the motor.
In Germany the legal rule is to have 2hrs left with no motor but lights on……

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
To your question and input by Stihldog: What light?
I use the Bontrager lighting system. GoPro cameras are also easily attached to the stem or helmet as well. The original stem on my Rail was 60mm and I wanted a shorter stem (45mm) that would accept a carbon bar. The shorter Bontrager stem allowed the lighting/camera to mount easily using a bar-clip. I can’t remember the name of the mounting system on the stem but I leave it in place all the time.

IMG_6731.jpeg IMG_6730.jpeg IMG_6729.jpeg

There’s multiple mounting options, and attaching or removing is fairly easy. The main lights have two intensities and a strobe. Same with the tail light.

They seem to be waterproof/resistant and charge up using a mini-usb connection. When I use them at night on the trails they seem to illuminate fairly well. Having lights on the stem and helmet works good for me. I don’t know the charge time or use time but I’ve never had an issue with three hours of riding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles