Which brake lever upgrade for 2020 TL Comp?

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
The last thing on my bike that I am unhappy with is the fact that the brake levers are adjustable for reach but not for the movement until the braking action. They move so much before they do anything and so they just can't compare to the XTR brakes I am used to for. Can I just buy SRAM Guide RSC levers or Code RSC levers and have the two adjustment settings?

Are there any special ones that I need to get for the dual-piston calipers that the bike has?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Nope. The SRAM brake systems have a 2 stage pressure configuration that is all done in the levers but like any current braking system for bikes you can mix & match.
Me, if I keep my Levo I will take the SRAM brakes off and put on Shimano to give me the feel and performance I like.
Saying that, I rode one yesterday with a Hope 4 pot system and found the braking simply outstanding ... just a tad expensive for me.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
If I change to Shimano, can the rotors stay the same?

I assume I can’t use Shimano levers on SRAM calipers? They use different fluids.

What Shimano brakes would work?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
You can at a pinch but if you are going to change I recommend a full change. Can usually get a deal from CRC or somewhere like that.
However, I am interested in your wanting to adjust reach and movement. I am thinking what you mean is 'bite point adjustment'? It really does not move the pads any closer - just feels that way sometimes. The term Shimano uses is Freestroke and SRAM calls it Contact Point Adjustment.
Reach is the most important adjustment IMHO as it allows you to fit to your hands size better.

Often bite point issues can be resolved by a bleed - or sometimes a flush and bleed.
That is another reason I prefer Shimano over SRAM. The mineral oil does not absorb moisture like the DOT stuff does and is also a lot safer to handle - splashes do not strip the paint from your components and is not bad for your skin. They are also loads easier to bleed.

I think the best bang for buck is the Shimano XT M8020 - taking both cost and performance into account.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Yeah - so I was watching a video by Worldwide Cyclery brake levers, and he said his favorite part was this bite point adjustment and how you could just turn the dial rather than have to overbleed or underbleed. So that made me away that I can just add more brake fluid, so I ordered the bleed tools and will try it.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Is another reason I love the mineral oil brakes - they change properties less with weather temperature. Pretty much just adjust adjust lever reach on the fly a little to compensate for pad wear.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
The free stroke adjustment does absolutely nothing on my bike with 2 piston xtr.
The bite point dial on the levo with code rsc works really well, you can adjust it so there is much less initial lever travel before braking begins. The dial can seize up if you wind it all the way out

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Can I just buy SRAM Guide RSC levers or Code RSC levers and have the two adjustment settings?
Yes, that is correct.
The 2019 & 2020 Comp Levo comes equipped with SRAM Guide RE brakes (which is Guide R levers combined with last years 4-piston Code caliper). You are correct, in order to have same brakes as on the S-Works you only need to upgrade the levers to "Code RSC" (since you already have Code calipers).

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
You just set them to leave a few mm of slack so that can't happen. They have five levels of slack removal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles