Where to source components for DIY build?

Cavemann

Mar 22, 2022
Rickmansworth, UK
Hi, I'm looking to build my first DIY ebike. I've ridden a few manufactured ebikes, both mid-drive and hub drive and have decided to build my own.
Before I start searching for a second hand bike to use as a base I need to get a feel for things like common wheel sizes when buying hub motors etc, so that I don't back myself into a corner with the frame.

Can anyone recomend any good sources of ebike component in the UK?
...I've had a look at Amazon and ebay but they mostly sell kits, whereas I'm looking to buy the wheel with integrated motor seperately from the other components such as the controller, battery, throttle and computer...

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
What kind of emtb/ebike are you looking to build?

In addition, what's your budget (be realistic!!!).

PM if you'd want to discuss things privately @Cavemann 👍🏿

Cavemann

Mar 22, 2022
Rickmansworth, UK
What kind of emtb/ebike are you looking to build?

In addition, what's your budget (be realistic!!!).

PM if you'd want to discuss things privately @Cavemann 👍🏿
Hi Neeko,

I'm planning to build an all wheel drive ebike based on a light mtb or gravel bike, similar to: DIY Two Motor 2wd Electric Bicycle (All wheel drive 2x2!!) Q&A#6 - YouTube
I plan to build my own battery and intend run the motors at different volts/amps to their specifications, although within the same power envelope (watts) to their defined specs. Hence why I'd ideally like to purchase the parts seperately instead of in a kit.

Budget wise I was anticipating between £1-2k overall, but am open to more if I feel it's for a worthwhile reason. I don't want pedal/brake sensors, just a twist throttle, and with the geared hub motors am guessing it will freewheel fine, without engine braking(?)

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Gottya.
The good news is that plug-n-play controllers have come along way since Mikah made his video.

Do you have the frame already or is that something you're looking to source?

As for components you'll need, I can provide links to sources (UK based) for your consideration.

I'll do my utmost to help keep within your budget.

Bare with me 👍🏿

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
If you just use a front hub motor and pedal your bike will be 2 wheel drive without the extra weight and complexity of the additional motor. If you don't want PAS get a controller that allows for cruise control so you can set and forget the throttle when possible.

I believe that Green Bike Kit, or GBK as it is known, would have all you need and are located in the UK.

Cavemann

Mar 22, 2022
Rickmansworth, UK
Gottya.
The good news is that plug-n-play controllers have come along way since Mikah made his video.

Do you have the frame already or is that something you're looking to source?

As for components you'll need, I can provide links to sources (UK based) for your consideration.

I'll do my utmost to help keep within your budget.

Bare with me 👍🏿
Not got the frame yet, was waiting to see what common wheel/motor sizes were most available.
I'm 6'1" tall so L/XL size frame trying to figure out if 27.5" or 700c is the most popular ebike wheel size.

I guess in order of priority I need to source the following:
1. Matching front and rear wheel/motor, geared hub, min 350w, max 500w, no imposed limitations for regs etc.
2. 2nd hand Frame, ideally light mtb style or gravel bike, no suspension, geared similar to road bike for high top speed but with straight handle bars
3. Motor Controllers, Battery (52v?), twist throtle, Computer which allows limiting the Amps

Cavemann

Mar 22, 2022
Rickmansworth, UK
If you just use a front hub motor and pedal your bike will be 2 wheel drive without the extra weight and complexity of the additional motor. If you don't want PAS get a controller that allows for cruise control so you can set and forget the throttle when possible.

I believe that Green Bike Kit, or GBK as it is known, would have all you need and are located in the UK.
Hi Mabman,

I'm comitted to 2 wheel drive due to the terrain I'd like to use the bike on (tow paths and beaches). Definitely don't want PAS.
The only site I can find for GreenBikeKit seems to be a US site: www.greenbikekit.com. Do you have the URL for their UK site that you refer to?

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Ok, gottya.
Typically, all hub motors attach using dropouts on either a frame or fork. This means that any frame which uses a 9mm quick release skewer axle would be your best bet.

Same thing with forks but..... I have my options concerning front hub motors on suspension forks which use the 9mm quick release skewer axle.

Typically, most go with hardtails as the front triangle is usually big enough to house a battery and controller. However, something which I'm starring to advise more and more people on is to buy an existing ebike frame and build upon that.
20220203_155545.jpg

My friend's G-Tech escent ebike was an interesting candidate for an upgrade due to the frame already having the holes necessary for cables and wire looms to pass through. Therefore enabling me to swap out the old weaker system,
20220206_162556.jpg

Into a more efficient and powerful system with provisions for further accessories to be added (throttle, lights, motor cut-off switches, display etc).

Granted, this is just an example and my friend purchased the bike originally for £900 (I think) 2 years ago. And my upgrades which so far have cost £300 (although, the motor needs to be swapped out Long story!!!!).

Upon compiling a list of UK based vendors, I'll see what frames I can find and share 👍🏿

Cavemann

Mar 22, 2022
Rickmansworth, UK
Ok, gottya.
Typically, all hub motors attach using dropouts on either a frame or fork. This means that any frame which uses a 9mm quick release skewer axle would be your best bet.

Same thing with forks but..... I have my options concerning front hub motors on suspension forks which use the 9mm quick release skewer axle.

Typically, most go with hardtails as the front triangle is usually big enough to house a battery and controller. However, something which I'm starring to advise more and more people on is to buy an existing ebike frame and build upon that.
View attachment 84446
My friend's G-Tech escent ebike was an interesting candidate for an upgrade due to the frame already having the holes necessary for cables and wire looms to pass through. Therefore enabling me to swap out the old weaker system,
View attachment 84447
Into a more efficient and powerful system with provisions for further accessories to be added (throttle, lights, motor cut-off switches, display etc).

Granted, this is just an example and my friend purchased the bike originally for £900 (I think) 2 years ago. And my upgrades which so far have cost £300 (although, the motor needs to be swapped out Long story!!!!).

Upon compiling a list of UK based vendors, I'll see what frames I can find and share 👍🏿
Looks like an interesting project. Thanks for your advice on 9mm quick release skewer axles. It's exactly the sort of advice I was hoping for in joining these forums. Looking forward to any advice you're able to offer on vendors and frames etc...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles