Levo Gen 2 Where should I attach my maintenance stand ?

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Hi

Another dumb question, where do you do attach your TL to your bike stand.

I have a Park Tool PRS 25 and obviously would like to attach at the best and safest point but where is it?

The dropper post -- makes no sense to me as suspending 22kg from a movable item seems potentially a big problem.

The seat post immediately below the dropper -- but the clamp is bigger so insecure?

IMG_1328.jpeg

Various locations on the top tube -- but none are perfect due to the taper and elliptical shape

IMG_1328.jpeg IMG_1329.jpeg

May I ask what others do / recommend? Have I missed something .. again?

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Fully extend the dropper post and clamp it for the dropper stanchion, just make sure the dropper stanchion and stand clamp are perfectly clean to not cause scratches on the stanchion ...

Reactions: EME

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Fully extend the dropper post and clamp it for the dropper stanchion, just make sure the dropper stanchion and stand clamp are perfectly clean to not cause scratches on the stanchion ...
Thanks very much.

As usual my feel / reaction was 100% wrong.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
I have no good feeling to clamp the Levo at the dropperpost.
I do not clamp my Levo at all. If I work on the front wheel, I hang it on the downtube, if I work on the rear wheel and the drive, I hang it in the sattle.

96689708-D032-469F-AD94-D5BDC0F0ECA0.png

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Why not? When you are riding the dropper post is experiencing much higher dynamic loads as when you clamp it for a stand clamp... I believe most of the workshops will clamp it for dropper post...

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Why not? When you are riding the dropper post is experiencing much higher dynamic loads as when you clamp it for a stand clamp... I believe most of the workshops will clamp it for dropper post...
They're compression loads which it's specifically designed to take, though - I have to admit that I'm uncomfortable with the idea of hanging an ebike by its dropper post, too.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Im using the dropper post. Balances quite well from there and touches the front wheel on the ground which helps with stability.

This is only good for a cable post though. No good for hydraulic as it can suck air into the system (and most definitely does on my other bike).

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Someone in a very old thread that I cant find had the good idea of using one of these, designed for car racks, if I had a carbon frame and didnt want to hang off the dropper its a pretty neat solution - not sure if it was this specific one but you get the idea

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Someone in a very old thread that I cant find had the good idea of using one of these, designed for car racks, if I had a carbon frame and didnt want to hang off the dropper its a pretty neat solution - not sure if it was this specific one but you get the idea

The bike moves around too much using this method, especially if you are doing something that involves a lot of torque like removing cranks or pedals.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
This is only good for a cable post though. No good for hydraulic as it can suck air into the system (and most definitely does on my other bike).
If you fully extend the dropper post it shouldn't matter...

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi

Another dumb question, where do you do attach your TL to your bike stand.

I have a Park Tool PRS 25 and obviously would like to attach at the best and safest point but where is it?

The dropper post -- makes no sense to me as suspending 22kg from a movable item seems potentially a big problem.

The seat post immediately below the dropper -- but the clamp is bigger so insecure?

View attachment 39605

Various locations on the top tube -- but none are perfect due to the taper and elliptical shape

View attachment 39605 View attachment 39606

May I ask what others do / recommend? Have I missed something .. again?
I broke the seat clamp because i rotated stand upwards so beware they are heavy bikes and you are putting pressure on the clamp if using on seatpost.

Tjmarsh

Aug 7, 2020
Alaska
I make sure my top tube is clean on my levo and the plastic/rubber clamp is Clean on my stand. Then I use turn the stand to grab the top tube and suspend the bike on it. I’ll clamp it tighter if I need to rotate the rear or front up. I prefer this method because I’m 6’1” and it raises the bike up higher to work on. I’ve also used the raise up my dropper enough grab the seat and have not had any issues on my levo or any of my other prior bikes. I do get this voice in the back of my head that it’s a bad idea every time I do it this way though ?.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA

The section regarding dropper post installation says "carefully clamp bike on top tube at seat tube junction". I've been doing this since day one on my aluminum comp but tighten it the bare minimum for the particular job.

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Thank You everyone for responding. There is obviously more than one way to crack this egg.

After reading everything and following the links, I decided to go with the extended dropper post as that looked the most popular / commended although it gives me the screaming fits looking at it. I did try the 10-finger condoms ( Park Tool commendation) to protect the dropper stanchion but frankly that made it more awkward as I had no idea where the actual jaws were and I started clamping in totally the wrong place.

Very grateful , more expensive errors avoided

IMG_1357.jpeg IMG_1349.jpeg

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Awesome Idea ... I really like that ... going to see if I can find a cheap set somewhere ...

On a different note those mismatch tires are playing absolute havoc with my OCD
My ocd was off the chart, but the eddy current is outstanding, so the maxis has to go. The handle bars cost £7 from CRC

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles