Where are all the mid-range suspension forks?

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
My Giant came with a pretty low-end Suntour XCM34 fork. Looks the part but the spring is too light and it make a lovely THUNK at each end of the stroke. I'd like something better on a budget - perhaps an air spring so I can tune it to my weight. The problem is (and this could be a NZ-specific thing) is all the shops just sell the high-end $1500-2500 forks. I'm ideally looking for something more in the $400-600 range (120mm travel, 34mm stanchions, 15mm boost).

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Rockshox forks start around £150-200 for 30s and Judys then move onto Recons, Revelations, Yari, Sid, Pike, Lyrik, zeb & Boxxer.
any Rockshox dealer should be able to order any of the above forks for you.
There are basically far too many configurations of each fork for it to make sense for most bike shops to carry lots and lots of forks in stock
a Yari is probably the best buy mid range RS fork for most Emtbs (it's internals are upgradable to lyrik internals). What suits you best will depend on your riding and bike though

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Best bet is to see what bargains appear from on-line stores selling off OEM stock.

I got a pair of 2018 Revelations for £350 last year. Stif was selling a few of them.

CRC was selling Fox 34 Rythms for like £290 a while before that.

Frankenbetty

Jun 6, 2020
Llandegla
Mind you I’ve just checked the $ to £ exchange rate and it’s NZ $1.92 to the pound so not that much in it when you look at it like that
S’not a cheap sport if you want half decent kit unfortunately. not that it ever was. I paid £1500 for a Turner frame nearly 20 years ago and I’m still traumatised by it now.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Always heaps of forks on the facebook nzmtb page. You'd be looking at buying that from overseas online anyway - not many people would be going into the lbs to buy something mediocre to update their forks. You've just found out the reason why there is a $1000-1500 jump between models

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Always heaps of forks on the facebook nzmtb page. You'd be looking at buying that from overseas online anyway - not many people would be going into the lbs to buy something mediocre to update their forks. You've just found out the reason why there is a $1000-1500 jump between models

Yeah I suppose I will have to subject myself to the the FB pages....

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
My Giant came with a pretty low-end Suntour XCM34 fork. Looks the part but the spring is too light and it make a lovely THUNK at each end of the stroke. I'd like something better on a budget - perhaps an air spring so I can tune it to my weight. The problem is (and this could be a NZ-specific thing) is all the shops just sell the high-end $1500-2500 forks. I'm ideally looking for something more in the $400-600 range (120mm travel, 34mm stanchions, 15mm boost).
Have you seen Rob's latest post? Can't say I've ever tried let alone heard of DT Swiss forks before tho.

I opened the link to Wiggle and it's free shipping to NZ. I've bought some stuff from Wiggle before and didn't have any delivery hassles. Not sure what happens if something goes wrong with the DT Swiss forks regarding warranty or servicing. The price might be worth the risk?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles