What's your cleaning routine?

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
So I just recently got my first e-bike and I was wondering what you all do in terms of cleaning/lubricating etc.

Also specifically about the chain, I read that you shouldn't use degreaser on it because it will take out the internal lubricant that comes with the chain?

I want to clean my bike maybe a bit more regularly to keep it looking nice and performing at its best, but I don't want to mess up the chain by going too overboard.

So yeah any suggestions on what to clean on the bike/how often you do it, and what products you use in the process.

Thanks!!

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
The lubricant that comes with a new chain is really just a thick packing grease to keep the chain in good condition. It's going to attract dirt and stop your lube from penetrating into the pins and rollers, so it's best to clean it all off to begin with. I would use a degreaser and then hot water with detergent to finish. A chain cleaning tool like this is perfect, but not essential, you can get by with just a stiff brush or even a toothbrush
For lube you just need to find one that works for you, I really like WPL since it's 100% organic and runs nice and clean, and easy to clean off. Being in Australia you're probably not riding in the wet/mud too much, so you can use a dry lube all year round.
You also want to wipe clean your fork stanchions and seals, same for your shock and dropper post. I like to use the WPL forkboost to keep the fork's wiper seals lubricated.
As for the bike, I only clean it when it really needs it, I just use a bucket of water and brushes/cloths. Take the battery out first if it's easily removable, otherwise just be careful. You can use a jetwash on a low setting, just don't squirt directly into any of the bearings/motor/battery area. If I need a cleaner/degreaser I really like these, 100% organic, and refills come in dissolvable capsules so you're not buying a plastic bottle all the time
That's about it really

olde-mtber

Nov 1, 2019
New Zealand
For me I use a garden hose after every ride I set the handpiece to jet setting on the non critical parts I don't remove the battery and the shower setting for the rest of the bike no detergents whatsoever and then use a chamois to dry it off. I then use Rock n Roll gold lube as per instructions and that's about it. About once a month I may remove battery after I've washed the bike and check all is ok in the battery compartment. I have a Trek FS 5 powerfly.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I wipe down the chain, stanchions and dropper after rides and apply another layer of wax lube (Squirt at the mo) on the chain. Every month or so the chain comes off and gets a degrease, fresh one I prepared earlier goes on (I rotate 3 chains) and I clean up the cassette and chainrings. That's it. I brush off any accumulation of mud if it gets too bad.

A couple of times a year I'll strip down a few things, check it over and clean properly, which is also when I do the fork lowers and pivots.

Last edited:

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
I use a squirt bottle and spray the whole bike down then wipe it with a microfiber
clothe. I figure there isn't much pressure with the squirt bottle so worry about
water getting into anything bad. I always wipe fork, shock, and dropper stanchions
off and apply stanchion lube about every three rides. I also lube the chain about
the same time. Bike still looks great a year plus later!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles