• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

What's wrong with this picture

entropy1024

May 6, 2023
London
After getting my freewheel apart I think I know why it failed.

I recon the thin metal spring ring that holds the paws in should not be in two pieces. Am I right?
Guessing it should be a circle, cut in one place so that you can slide it over the 3 paws.

Incredible that such a tiny thing can totally make your bike a paperweight.

PXL_20240709_142030659.RAW-01.COVER.jpg PXL_20240709_142302187.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
At least it's not rusty in there! So your basic seal design is good. :)

I had a bike with E13 hubs and despite the five-year guarantee, the pawl springs rusted through in about 700 miles. This happened again and again. On the third time the whole hub was replaced. I sold the bike immediately after the third set to a mate who knew of its history. The hub failed again after about 700 miles. He didn't bother with a warranty claim, just replaced the hub and spokes with something else.

Litespeed

Dec 23, 2023
Vista California
After getting my freewheel apart I think I know why it failed.

I recon the thin metal spring ring that holds the paws in should not be in two pieces. Am I right?
Guessing it should be a circle, cut in one place so that you can slide it over the 3 paws.

Incredible that such a tiny thing can totally make your bike a paperweight.

View attachment 143592 View attachment 143593
I just replace the round thing (my double u key is effed up), hub etc because the freehub disintegrated. Luckily it is still under arranty. Cassette and chain as ell. 6 months. Just - disintegrated. Trek Fuel exe 9.8 xt Shimano microspline

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles