• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Whats ur average cruise speed for ebiking or biking ?

Embt

Aug 1, 2024
Dundee
After installing this volspeed and settled down I like the speed at 18.5mph. And higher with the wind maybe 19. 5 but not tested it yet.

I bike leisurely not commuting to work I wish. And use cycle routes. Probably will be different for every1.

With none ebikes I must of been hitting 30mph with the wind on my road bike

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My bike is a 160mm travel big and grippy-tyred emtb and the average speed varies with where I ride.

Techhy forest trails - 8mph.
Mix of hard surface (gravel, concrete, tarmac) and overgrown flowing singletrack - 12mph.
An out and back ride to the nearest town and back (out on tarmac, back on gravel) - 14mph.

Even when my bike would go faster, like on a steep smooth descent, I seldom want to go any faster than 28mph.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
10mph off road 15mph on road, roughly
Bosch gen2 (no speed box) Cube 160mm FS 2.6 Continentals 68 yo rider

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
My Trance is legal, ie assist limited to 15.5mph here in the UK. On road my average is 16-17mph (according to Strava) so I guess I’m always putting in a bit of extra effort.

I did once have a VanMoof city bike with a 3rd party app to overwrite territorial restrictions. I could get 25mph+ but 20mph was as fast as I ever wanted to go on our crap UK roads.

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
28mph on the road to the trails ( for my safety), as fast as I can off road because its fun .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles