What's in your backpack?

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I'm building up a bag for solo riding, and am looking for info on what should go in. I told the wife (M.D.) I would add a proper first aid kit, she asked what's a 'proper' kit, and I explained self-applied tourniquet, blood clotting powder, splint, and single use morphine injections. Apparently I can't get these outside the military. ?

So spare tubes and banned-aids? What's in your bag?

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I lied , I usually take a pump/mini shock pump, chain tool/quick links , pair or b pads, chocolate and a jell . A spare derailleur hanger is a good idea and antihistamine/paracetamol !

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
Water, tool kit, pump and food. Don't bother with a first aid kit, If I can still ride or walk I'll get myself home, If I can't then I'll be calling for help.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Things in red have never been used in more than ten years. But if I leave them behind I am convinced that on the very next ride I will need them.

Water, mini-pump with 2m of gaffer tape wrapped around the handle, spare tube, tyre levers, self adhesive tube patches, tyrewall patches, mini-tool kit including a chain breaker, multi-pliers, zip-ties, set of brake pads, spare mech hanger, emergency whistle, spare magic links, small cable lock, pain killers, folding saw, three small chocolate flapjacks.
Oh and I forgot! the Topeak digital D2 pressure gauge. (Great bit of kit).

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
This has been through some changes but in no particular order;

Spare hanger
Spare pads
Spare gear cable
Spare quick link and a short length of chain
Mini tool including chain tool
Mini pliers
Assorted cable ties
Protective garden type gloves
Tubeless repair kit including stabby tool thing and strips
Pump
Spare spoke magnet
Tyre levers and tube
Lightweight waterproof
Survival bag
Toilet roll
Large surgical plasters - after having an off and a large bleeding cut to my arm
Spare CR mini battery
Painkillers
Minitorch
Sometimes a spare bike battery

Couple of flapjacks and either water or a flask of coffee depending on the weather

This may seem overkill but my preferred rides are 20 - 40 miles solo into the middle of nowhere with possibly no mobile signal.

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
Co2, inner tube, cable ties, energy gummies and chain lube always carried in a little frame bag, One Up EDC in the steerer tube with a quick link inside too.

If I take a backback its usually just got food, drink, protection and clothing layers, sometimes lights etc.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Pretty much everything that I see listed above, but with two absolute essentials: sun lotion and mosquito repellent.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
As well as bike stuff I also carry some emergency stuff for myself and any casualty I stumble over. Hand sanitizer, wound cleaner, small commercial first aid kit, Israeli bandage (pressure bandage/field dressing), spray plaster, battery for phone, plastic bag with card inside and Sharpie, emergency blanket and jacket from same silvery stuff, tick remover, sting relief, phone with what3words installed, map, compass, mirror thing for signalling helicopter, light stick, pack of tissues.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Rubber disposable gloves, My mobile phone, 2x OS Maps, usual pump and repair tools. Spare batteries and lights. Lock and keys. A lightweight jumper or jacket dependant on forecast.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
This has been through some changes but in no particular order;

Spare hanger
Spare pads
Spare gear cable
Spare quick link and a short length of chain
Mini tool including chain tool
Mini pliers
Assorted cable ties
Protective garden type gloves
Tubeless repair kit including stabby tool thing and strips
Pump
Spare spoke magnet
Tyre levers and tube
Lightweight waterproof
Survival bag
Toilet roll
Large surgical plasters - after having an off and a large bleeding cut to my arm
Spare CR mini battery
Painkillers
Minitorch
Sometimes a spare bike battery

Couple of flapjacks and either water or a flask of coffee depending on the weather

This may seem overkill but my preferred rides are 20 - 40 miles solo into the middle of nowhere with possibly no mobile signal.
You forgot the flares?

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
Things in red have never been used in more than ten years. But if I leave them behind I am convinced that on the very next ride I will need them.

Water, mini-pump with 2m of gaffer tape wrapped around the handle, spare tube, tyre levers, self adhesive tube patches, tyrewall patches, mini-tool kit including a chain breaker, multi-pliers, zip-ties, set of brake pads, spare mech hanger, emergency whistle, spare magic links, small cable lock, pain killers, folding saw, three small chocolate flapjacks.
Hi steve i know you are in the uk where did you get your spare mech hanger for the focus if you don't mind me asking

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Water, tool kit, pump and food. Don't bother with a first aid kit, If I can still ride or walk I'll get myself home, If I can't then I'll be calling for help.
I disagree. On Monday I was on a ride with my wife, she rode over a branch which sprung up and stuck in her foot puncturning a vein artery blood thing. The blood was squirting out like in a Terinteno movie. A first aid kit, bandage to apply preasure would have been pretty good to have with us. Turns out the cold beer in the cooling cover I had in my backpack was enough to stop the bleeding, but I'll be having that first aid kit with me from now on.

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
I disagree. On Monday I was on a ride with my wife, she rode over a branch which sprung up and stuck in her foot puncturning a vein artery blood thing. The blood was squirting out like in a Terinteno movie. A first aid kit, bandage to apply preasure would have been pretty good to have with us. Turns out the cold beer in the cooling cover I had in my backpack was enough to stop the bleeding, but I'll be having that first aid kit with me from now on.

Sounds quite a freak accident, hope she's OK mate. Compression and elevation for bleeds, you can improvise with tape, clothing etc. I base my own needs on my experience with the outdoors and first aid, your needs may vary and that's quite ok.

I can be pretty sure that in the Peak District I'm mostly within phone signal and if not someone will be around soon enough. For those in proper remote areas I would certainly advocate a different mind set to personal safety should the shit hit the fan. That should include basic first aid training preferably.

Forgot to say I do carry surgical latex gloves. If I do come across someone who needs help I put my safety first.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi steve i know you are in the uk where did you get your spare mech hanger for the focus if you don't mind me asking

I got mine from JE James when I bought the bike £15.80 in Jan'19.
Code KD325917010

I have tried to find it on the JE James website but their crap search facility has defeated me.

But you can also get them from gearmechhanger.com
I had a quick look and this one has the same profile. I have the spare I bought in front of me to compare, and the shape is the same.
Code PILO D531
gearmechhanger.com

BEWARE!!
I have noticed that when you do an image search, several Focus mech hangers come up that all look the same profile. They are smooth on one side and are machined or cast detail on the other side. The detail varies, despite the profile being the same!!! The code numbers also vary. So beware.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Sounds quite a freak accident, hope she's OK mate. Compression and elevation for bleeds, you can improvise with tape, clothing etc. I base my own needs on my experience with the outdoors and first aid, your needs may vary and that's quite ok.
Yeah she is fine. as you said, elevation, cooling and preassure all did the right things. We continued on the ride, and shortened it just to be sure. But it did give me a bit of a fright. I normally have a first aid kit in my backpack, but I was using a smaller bag, and hadn't put it in.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
An

And a suitcase? ?
I have considered from time to time reducing the stuff that's in there. But as I said, the stuff typed in black gets regular use, the stuff in red is my talisman. If I take it, I never get problems that require its use! But if I left it behind...... :eek:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles