What's been your buying experience on the forum?

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
I'd be interested in your experiences whether good, bad or indifferent.

I ask as I've just had what I consider to be a pretty shit way of treating someone. I'll give you a flavour of what went on. As an aside I always play fair with anyone & expect the same in return. So as follows:
1) make an offer for a bike. My offer was £300 below the asking price.
2) receive a reply "I've got someone coming to see the bike next week & they're offering a bit more"
3) I make a further offer which was the asking price
4) receive a reply "£xxxx is fine for the bike & will include XXXX "which was part of the asking price anyway.
5) Nothing firther received other than a holding mail
6) Received a reply today " The guy that made the first offer of £xxxx bought the bike today"

Now I don't mind that someone has first dibs on an item if they made an offer before me on the asking price BUT the seller kept that quiet. In addition I would consider a comment " £xxxx is fine for the bike" as an indication of sale to me & not that someone had apparently already offered the asking price!

Now you might agree with me and might not but at least I've got my grievances of my chest which at least calms me down a bit. If you've read this far thanks anyway.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
The problem is when selling anything there are so many time wasters and people who mess about that although you may have agreed a price the seller would be happy to sell at, without a deposit it's first come first served.
The guy before you was first to go see it unfortunately.

How I play it is if it's something I want at a price I'm happy with I'll make sure I'm there to see it at the earliest opportunity.

I've done this in the past where I've waited a couple of days for someone who then didn't turn up and went radio silent.
Now it's literally whoever turns up with the money first.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Seller on here drove over a hundred miles to meet me half way, bike was immaculate, transferred cash and away we went, had a few queries months later and seller as helpful as can be - 100% 👍🏻

I offered to pay a deposit but it was refused as we agreed to rely on trust.

I would like to think that buying or selling on here it is more likely to get genuine people and it also helps that some people know other people here, unlike the likes of eBay etc.

Last edited:

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Interestingly or not as the case may be I've never ever asked anyone for a deposit on a bike or anything else. I've sold six or seven analogue bikes and several classic cars in the past. Always trusted the buyer and was never let down. I also kept everyone informed if someone got in first with the asking price. Seems some sellors are good and some aint. That's life these days!

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I always check their history to see if it’s a scam first then pm them with an offer then exchange numbers for a chat , had no problems so far !

Growmac

Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I've only had good experiences. Sold my Merida to a fella up in Liverpool. He paid a deposit by bank transfer, then collected a couple of weeks later when he was passing. Met next to the Post Office, paid the cash straight into my account when he was happy with the bike.

Sold a Rucksack the other week. I sent lots of photos, buyer transferred the cash, I posted it. Everyone happy.

Swapped a GPS with Gary the other year. We both understood what we wanted, went very smoothly. No money involved that time though.

So yeah, no problems. I don't think something like a bike is sold until you pay a deposit or pay for it though. Far too many people who will mess about with online selling.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Sold some forks, went well. Got money, got rid of spare forks. Success.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Bought a cascade link via a friend and some of the bearings had gone stiff but the seller sent me replacements pretty quickly.

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
I see that as an acceptable price has been agreed, nothing more. It's not "your" item until you've handed over the cash.
I never said and indeed would not have expected the item to be mine until the monies were paid. But to me it was an acceptance of my offer without conditions. If someone else had already offered the same amount it would have been courtesy to say so.
From the comments so far everyone seems to have had a good experience. Good to know. It’s just a pity that I got someone who just wasted my time!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Got money, got rid of spare forks. Success.
Thats Nice GIF

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I've bought forks and a range extender from the forum.
Both were listed in the For Sale section - I offered to buy and immediately asked for payment details. Sent money by PayPal on both occasions, and within a few days the items appeared at my door.

Sold a Garmin once... same, but reverse! Person asked to buy it and paid by PayPal straight away. I sent it out the following day.

No complaints!

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
I see that the said item is still for sale on E-Bay. Should I splurge at the buy it now price? On reflection that’s probably a BIG NO!

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I see that the said item is still for sale on E-Bay. Should I splurge at the buy it now price? On reflection that’s probably a BIG NO!
It sounds like the seller has decided the price he agreed with you was too low and he's made an excuse to back out. Possibly.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
I'd be interested in your experiences whether good, bad or indifferent.

I ask as I've just had what I consider to be a pretty shit way of treating someone. I'll give you a flavour of what went on. As an aside I always play fair with anyone & expect the same in return. So as follows:
1) make an offer for a bike. My offer was £300 below the asking price.
2) receive a reply "I've got someone coming to see the bike next week & they're offering a bit more"
3) I make a further offer which was the asking price
4) receive a reply "£xxxx is fine for the bike & will include XXXX "which was part of the asking price anyway.
5) Nothing firther received other than a holding mail
6) Received a reply today " The guy that made the first offer of £xxxx bought the bike today"

Now I don't mind that someone has first dibs on an item if they made an offer before me on the asking price BUT the seller kept that quiet. In addition I would consider a comment " £xxxx is fine for the bike" as an indication of sale to me & not that someone had apparently already offered the asking price!

Now you might agree with me and might not but at least I've got my grievances of my chest which at least calms me down a bit. If you've read this far thanks anyway.
Hey, forget about it. People are different and it does not make sense to waste time on trying to understand them.

I once did go for a used car, Toyota MR2 II.. Came to the house of the seller, saw the desired car and two other guys. Perfect selling situation but instead of talking money seller went with the two guys in his house as „they arrived first“. More or less he told me to shut up.
They bought the car, came back and offered it to me at a lower price then asked by the seller. 🙄 They were car dealers from NL, bought it even cheaper and could have made quick win when selling to me instead of taking the car to NL and do all the papers and duties.
I was so desillusionated that I waived goodby.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles