What width bars are you all using and why that width?

mikegarf

May 2, 2023
Manchester
Just wondering what width bars people tend to use and what influenced your choices. I've tried various widths and rises etc with various levels of success. Interested to know what works for you guys? Is there a sweet spot?
Cheers.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I cut my bars to 770 and they are Deity 50mm riser bars.
Firstly most grips add 10mm per side to bar width so a nominal 800mm bar with grips fitted will likely measure 820! I mostly ride forest trails and very wide bars are restrictive when doing slalom through tree lined trails.
I think in general though, bar width is governed by 2 factors....the first is rider shoulder width and the second is bike headset angle. Narrower shoulder width is best suited to shorter bar width. Slacker head angle may need wider bars to maintain steering control.
I would say bar width range on a bike with 64° head angle would be between 800 and 760 for the biggest and smallest shoulder width respectively.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I agree with most of what @Mikerb says above.
Getting through tree gaps, tick.
Shoulder width, tick.
Wider bars improve steering control, tick. This was the biggest reason I went wider. Over the years, I went in steps from a starting point on my XC bike of 660, to 680, then 720, then 740, then 780.
My bike has 65.5 deg head angle and I have 780mm wide bars with a 20mm rise, flat stem. The bar end plugs add max 5mm total.
I tried wider bars, but I kept snagging on tree gaps. On popular trails you could see from the gouges in the tree bark that it was a common event for many riders.
My wingspan (fingertip to fingertip) is the same as my height 6'1".
If you go wider, your centre of body mass will move forward, this may alter your ride in a way that you might like, or not. Shortening your stem length can restore this body position.

Note: My grips don't add 10mm per side (yes, I know he said most grips add 10mm per side. It's the "most" bit I disagree with)

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have 185cm wingspan and have 780mm 10° backsweep 38mm rise bars with 31.8/35mm stem. Wife has 170cm wingspan and has 740mm 10° backsweep 38mm rise bars with 31.8/35mm stem. Both 2022 Trek Rail alloy. Have been shorter but slowly gone longer. Add about 3mm for our grip ends BTW.

Last edited:

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I cut my bars to 770 and they are Deity 50mm riser bars.
Firstly most grips add 10mm per side to bar width so a nominal 800mm bar with grips fitted will likely measure 820! I mostly ride forest trails and very wide bars are restrictive when doing slalom through tree lined trails.
I think in general though, bar width is governed by 2 factors....the first is rider shoulder width and the second is bike headset angle. Narrower shoulder width is best suited to shorter bar width. Slacker head angle may need wider bars to maintain steering control.
I would say bar width range on a bike with 64° head angle would be between 800 and 760 for the biggest and smallest shoulder width respectively.

I had not heard about the effect of the head tube angle but this would explain what I’ve been observing personally.

My first MTB had a relatively steep head tube angle. I adjusted down to a 725mm bar for that bike which felt just right.

So I thought I’d always prefer shorter bars. Nope.

On my Trek EXe with a 64.5 degree head angle, I found 750mm works well.

timo2824

Dec 27, 2023
USA
Deity 50mm riser bars cut to 740mm. I ride in the trees so prefer narrower bars, settled on 740 by cutting them narrower until I liked they way they felt. Took several rides to get them dialed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles