What to take?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2899
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2899

I used to ride longer cross country trails when I was into mountain biking a few years ago and new exactly what to take with me on a ride in the mountains. I recently returned to mountain biking and these days taken a liking to trail centres but I'm not sure what to carry with me. I live near to the Forest of Dean so this is going to be my most frequently visited venue. I've also gone tubeless so I'm now wondering if it is worth carrying all the paraphernalia associated with inner tubes especially as the rides tend to be no more than an hour away from civilisation. The same applies to water. I carry 2 litres but end up taking most of it home with me. What would you carry on a trip like this? I should add that I have a Trek Powerfly 4 with no options for attaching to the frame.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
I carry everything bar water so ...tubes, pump, co2 adp & cartridges, socket set/toolkit, tubeless kit( plugs etc), spare links, tie wraps, chain tool, link tool, first aid kit cash and phone... that lot covers most eventualities

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Pretty much ditto with Lee67.

No socket set, but I take a Topeak Hexus II multi tool and a pair of Gerber Multipliers. No CO2 cartridges, but a mini pump instead, oh and a digital tyre pressure gauge. Always three Hobnob flapjacks and some 400mg Brufen and my inhaler, but no first aid kit. Two litres of water with some isotonic gubbins in it. And a folding saw with a 10" blade (£10 from Yeoman, brilliant). Half a dozen zip-ties of various sizes. About two feet of Gaffer tape wrapped around my mini pump has come in really useful from time to time. Half a dozen or so paper kitchen towels, folded into squares to fit my pocket. (All sorts of uses for those, from wipes to bandages). Mobile phone.

D

Deleted member 2899

I carry everything bar water so ...tubes, pump, co2 adp & cartridges, socket set/toolkit, tubeless kit( plugs etc), spare links, tie wraps, chain tool, link tool, first aid kit cash and phone... that lot covers most eventualities
Except dehydration:) Seriously though to both replies: You take that much even to a trail centre? I was hoping to cut down and not have to carry a pack.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Except dehydration:) Seriously though to both replies: You take that much even to a trail centre? I was hoping to cut down and not have to carry a pack.
Yes that much everywhere..probs missed odd bit off..as to the no water thing..im borderline kidney failure so dont wee during the day probs lucky if twice in 24 hours so i carry fluid in my bladder.. so dont drink during rides even big ones!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
............ Seriously though to both replies: You take that much even to a trail centre? I was hoping to cut down and not have to carry a pack.

Yes, I have lost count of the number of times my ride would have been over without my bits and pieces. My riding buddies do the same and because of our different priorities, if I can't fix my bike trailside for want of a specific tool, one of them will probably have it.

D

Deleted member 2899

Currently I carry a spare inner tube(even though I'm riding tubeless), a pump, a multi tool, 2 x tyre levers, iPhone, wallet, change and a small lock to secure the bike whilst I buy my mandatory post ride tea and cakes. I'm going to cut down on the liquid I carry. I think even 1 litre is too much if I keep bringing most of it home with me, It all feels a little OTT for the trail centre I frequent though.

What about energy gels, do they hydrate?

Last edited by a moderator:

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
I suppose it boils down to if you would be happy to walk out or not, if you would be happy to walk with a heavy bike with a flat tyre or broken chain then fine, take nothing but the water you need. If you think its worth the 1lb weight disadvantage of a spare chain link, tubeless repair kit, CO2 & multi tool then thats up to you. Quite how paranoid you get at the end & start to lug the full shebang then thats your call also, I think I'm just saying it's your call dude ;)

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I’ve got a bumbag from Evoc which has a 2L hydration pack in it. I used to have a backpack and believe me you fill up any pack you have with crap!! Took a bit of getting use to but I prefer it now for 3-4 hour rides.

Same as other guys. I’ve just bought a chain master link tool and some spare links after a buddy had a chain issue. Since going tubeless never had a puncture but carry a spare inner tube and plugs. I’ve also got a spare tubeless valve and valve core remover.

I ride alone every now and again so I’ve got a SPOT Tracker GPS incase I have a big off and I haven’t got phone signal which is a real possibility in the Surrey Hills. It’s a subscription service which is expensive but worth the peace of mind.

Trail centres and bike parks I don’t carry anything justvhead back to the car for a drink or a snack :)

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
The two white packages contain toilet paper on top and emergency med kit below. Spare tube is a 700x 28- 38 road tube that fits better in my pants pocket and worked fine two different times for sidewall slashes in 2.4 inch DHR II tire. Small saran wrap with rubber band contains spoke wrench, tire plugs, spare derailer hanger. (Will probably take the spare rear derailer hanger out since I recently destroyed a rear wheel with a bunch of fibrous plant material wrapping up into the rear derailer and pulleys which pulled the rear derailer into the wheels and broke eight spokes. On any non ebike this would have broken the derailleur hanger and ripped the rear mech right off probably destroying it at the same time. I was stunned when I got home and found that the hanger was perfectly aligned and the rear mech was unharmed. I thought for sure the Jockey pulley cages would be bent but they were not in the slightest. Had the rear wheel rebuilt and the whole rear shifting mechanism works perfectly. Got a magnet out and sure enough the hanger and jockey pulley cages are steel and not aluminum .)
Water bottle is 600 ML capacity. Another, ready-to-go tire plug pouch in saran wrap. These all fit in my pockets. I always buy shorts that have at least three pockets. Only other things in pockets are truck key, iPhone, and credit card/drivers license with a $20 bill rubber banded around cards. This is all I have ever needed in addition to the chain breaker tool that is in the head tube of my levo. I’m different from most people however in that I live where it is ungodly hot/humid year round and have become so heat acclimated that I rarely sweat and just don’t need much water replacement even on five hour rides. You would probably need more water. Personally I hate carrying a pack anymore except for carrying trail building tools.
Used to have a small mini pump but it died. Probably will get another and mount it under the water bottle pegs. Hope this helps.
8981C517-AB9D-4260-AD61-666DA127FC57.jpeg

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
One Up headset tool, which contains a quick link and tubeless repair stuff. I have cable ties in my bars. I wear an Evoc Bum Bag with 750ml per hour (been riding in 30C++ most days) a mini pump wrapped in cloth tape, mech hangar, spoke tool, boot patch and tyre levers. And a tube under my saddle.

Gordon

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
I suppose it boils down to if you would be happy to walk out or not, if you would be happy to walk with a heavy bike with a flat tyre or broken chain or...

IMHO, that is best case scenario. Being able to roll the bike out is a luxury if you have a mechanical failure. My derailleur ate a stick and broke in half last Sunday and the bike would not roll.

The only thing I would add to any of the above kits are zip ties or cable ties. (Ha! beaten by Gordo! Good spot to store them too!!!)

If you have a flat you cannot fix, use them to keep the tire on the rim so you can roll the bike back to the van/car/truck. They weigh nothing and you can put them in the back/bottom of just about any pack. I used several on Sunday to keep my chain off the tire because I did not have a chain breaker or master link key with me. Those ties allowed me to roll my bike out of the woods vs having to carry it.

You can also wrap one of those coiled up, small combination cable locks around the seat tube so you can lock the bike to a tree if you have hike out. Hide the bike in the woods, mark the spot with your phone or dedicated GPS and get back to it ASAP with proper help.

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
Get some inserts, mine have got me out of trouble twice now. Torn rear tyre, bacon strip wont work/seal and a flat front from a knackered tubeless valve. Both were at least 3 miles back to the car/home. Both times I was able to ride home on the insert with no problems, kept it below 15mph just in case. This is off road and onroad. When we go on our adventures, its usually water, food/snacks, extra gloves (its been winter), skull cap, leatherman multi tool, mine first aid kit, bacon strips, pump, top peak multi tool with spare chain links and an extra battery. Oh and some cable ties, no need for an inner tube. Heaviest bit is the battery.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I forgot a couple of things. There's a spare valve in the bottom bit of the oneup tool and my car key fob has a leatherman squirt attached. That little leatherman is unbelievably useful on and off the trail.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles