What pump do you take out with you?

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Had a double puncture on my tubeless rear today. Farting about trying to get the Stans sealant to do it job with much pumping and ended up having to plug one hole but nearly gave myself a heart attack trying to pump the bloody thing back up.
Any recommends for a good pump to carry on the bike?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Had a double puncture on my tubeless rear today. Farting about trying to get the Stans sealant to do it job with much pumping and ended up having to plug one hole but nearly gave myself a heart attack trying to pump the bloody thing back up.
All small pumps are shite. Had the same with UK South Downs flint puncturing tyres so now fit Maxxis DD or Schwalbe Super Gravity tyres. Touch wood, no more punctures.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Lezyne Micro Drive HV here. Been carrying it for years and it's never let me down.

Not sure it would seat a bead if it came off trail side but then I'm not sure any small pump would.

They actually do a higher volume version too. Think it's the XL. Designed for fat tyres really but I reckon it would do fine on typical MTB tyres.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Mine is also a Lezyne, does Presta and Schrader valves. I've had it so long that all identifying features have worn off, other than the brand embossed into the handle.

Whichever pump you buy, wrap two metres of gaffer tape around it. Maybe in two sections, so it's not so thick. You can thank me later. Gaffer tape can fix most things or at least fix it for long enough. :)

Last edited:

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
20 gram CO2 and inflator with thick (and thin) bacon strips.
The inflator screws onto the presta valve and then you can use part or all of the cartridge.
On really extended rides or alone, I also bring a tube, but in 20+ years of riding tubeless, I've never had a flat.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
CO2 and a daptor plus a tube. Only ever had to use the Co2 once so far in several years and it was not because of a puncture! It was because of a presta valve not seating properly because it was gummed up with sealant....................I also carry 2 presta valve inserts just for that eventuality!!

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I have a OneUp 100cc pump with the inbuilt multi tool and the storage tube with tyre plug spike and bacon strips. The pump has a CO2 adapter built into it and you can store the canister in the pump, instead of the storage tube. It's a really good high volume pump and you can buy a rebuild kit for it if the seals wear out.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
nearly gave myself a heart attack trying to pump the bloody thing back up.

I use a OneUp EDC 70cc pump. I stash tools and parts inside the hollow body. That's the answer to your question, but there's more to the story.

When you're pumping up the tire, you're forcing all that air through the minute opening of the Presta valve. That's why you have to work so hard and you're panting like a dog on a hot day. One solution to that problem is Fillmore Valves. The area for the airflow is dramatically larger, so you can easily pump without so much resistance. The difference is HUGE. It's even noticeable with a floor pump. When I'm helping out a friend pump up their tires, it takes about five seconds for me to notice the difference and hate their bike.

Install some Fillmore's, and you might find that you like your pump.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
All small pumps are shite. Had the same with UK South Downs flint puncturing tyres so now fit Maxxis DD or Schwalbe Super Gravity tyres. Touch wood, no more punctures.
Snap I was traveling a little faster than I wanted to down a stepped very flinty track.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Thanks for reply’s guys.
Not sure what pump it was but it wasn’t a tinpot one like mine!
Will have a browse at your suggestions thanks.
It’s still up this morning so the plug worked and my heart is still working and my right arm has stopped aching!!

Dave 80

Oct 17, 2019
UK
Mine is also a Lezyne, does Presta or Schrader valves. I've had it so long that all identifying features have worn off, other than the brand embossed into the handle.

Whichever pump you buy, wrap two metres of gaffer tape around it. Maybe in two sections, so it's not so thick. You can thank me later. Gaffer tape can fix most things or at least fix it for long enough. :)
Here. Here !

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
The 100cc One up pump is excellent - I have used more than once trailside, and it is pretty fool proof with a great volume for actually pumping a 29er tire up to pressure.

I have it with the tools of course, but also with the stabber and chainlink pliers. all of those also used in anger successfully. 2x25grm CO2 carried if a big ride, and the way these thread into the head of the pump is excellent. Again, also used successfully.

To those suggesting Leyzene, YMMV etc etc but the only things that have truly failed me at critical times are Leyzene pumps (twice, different pumps) and Crank Brothers multitools (also twice, different tools, both times the chain tool cross threaded itself). Both brands can get in the f'ing sea!

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
Can't beat the OneUp 100 cc pump. Good volume and you can keep it on the bottle mount.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I’ve got a truflo miniMTN for the rucksack and truflo supertrax for at home. The mini had a little retractable hose on it which is handy. I actually bought it when I had my ktm and used it many time to pump up dirt bike tyres. We’d all take it in turns!

Last edited:

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
This is equipment for my backpack and for home

Screenshot_20231202_150457.jpg specialized-47219-2500-air-tool-mtb-floor-pump-grey-a-826412.jpg

Last edited:

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Oneup EDC 100 is a superb high volume pump, as is the Topeak 2 stage Digital pump which also doubles as a shock pump.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Have a very small Lezyne pump cable tied onto my water bottle cage. Haven't needed to use it after switching to Maxxis DD/Schwalbe Super Gravity tyres because not had any punctures.

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
I'm a fan of the Topeak Mountain Morph pump. Yes, it's on the large size to carry in my pack, but it operates like a mini floor pump, so it's easy to use. I also use a Topeak Mini Morph pump on my road bike. Same ideas as the Mountain Morph but smaller.

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
Umm, eso es una bomba de choque. No

The 00.4315.023.020 high pressure pump allows dual use, with an inflation capacity of up to 20 bar / 300 psi, it is also compatible with forks/shock absorbers and inflating the tires.

DETAILS:

Fork/shock and pneumatic compatible.

Compact high-pressure pump with psi pressure gauge and bar (max. 300 psi / 20.5 bar)

Adjustable rubber connection on the 360 button to reduce pressure.

Ergonomic T-handle

Supplied with frame mounting bracket
I also carry this in my backpack

zefal-cartuchos-co2-25g-2-unidades.jpg

Last edited:

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Thanks everyone for the input. I went for the Oneup 100cc with the EDC tool as well. Seems to push a lot of air so hopefully will work well on th trail. I've also added the Stans Dart tool to my pack. Seems to work well in conjunction with Stans sealant which I already use.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles