what do I not know that I need to?

ttocs

Aug 19, 2024
I have been mountain biking for 30 years now starting off on a full ridgid trek chromoly 850 and working up from there. I had to take 15 yrs off due to medical problems(EDS if ya know what that is) but after finally figuring out what was causing the problems I started to get back on my bike. I originally did it just to help me sleep better and was so happy to see it worked and I am now sleeping better. I never planned on getting into good enough shape to go offroad again but eventually I was doing over 10 miles and decided to try a short trail. 2 miles into it I was overheated, out of air and still wanted to do more as I just love it. I have been trying to build my stamina but then someone put a bug in my ear about the ebikes and said they can make you feel 30 again(49 this month). Needless to say that stuck there until one day I stopped at the bike shop and made the mistake of jokingly asking about financing and they said they did one year free financing. So 2 days ago I picked up this trek rail 9.8 xt gen 4 and I am trying to get use to it but it is a long way from that 850 I started on years ago. What things should I be looking out for or listening for? Are there any upgrades that I should just do now or wait till???? Thanks in advance
IMG_20240818_091752538.jpg

Tone461

Nov 29, 2020
West Midlands
2.4 Tyres front and rear. Sharper turning, less sluggish. Not sure why people think they need tractor tyres, just because its an E bike. Brand is up to you.

ttocs

Aug 19, 2024
2.4 Tyres front and rear. Sharper turning, less sluggish. Not sure why people think they need tractor tyres, just because its an E bike. Brand is up to you.
I have always liked having fairly aggressive tires myself, not necessarily width wise but knob wise. I really learned how to ride out in phoenix but now I am back in indiana and it is completely different. These are the same tires that came with my fuel and I wasn't really happy with them as they left me sliding more than I like in the mud we get around here.

Anyone found a good place to hide an airtag/tracker? I have never spent this much on a bike and I am going to be sure it stays in my hands.....

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Don't change a thing without a reason. Know exactly why you want to "upgrade". What exactly is it that you are unhappy with? Make certain that you have got the best out of your bike's suspension (that includes tyre pressures) before even thinking about doing anything to it other than the basic tuning.

in other words, don't spend any money until you know that you will get your money's worth.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Great bike, congratulations! Just go outside and ride it until you can't anymore, then sleep well and start again the next day! Enjoy! You will love this. 👍

ttocs

Aug 19, 2024
It looks like there are a couple of spots that like to collect dirt. I have seen a pic or two of stuff people made to keep this from happening and would love to see if anyone else has had any good ideas?

Husky430

E*POWAH Elite
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Welcome along and enjoy all the info and tips on this website, it's the best.
A good starting point is Youtube some basic suspension from Rockshocks themselves

Set up for your weight, with attention to the sag to start with and then you will have to play with the clickers to see what feels best for you.
The dropper post is the best invention since disc brakes, learn to use it, especially getting it the seat down and out of way when you are descending, game changer there.
Tyre pressures are also major changer to how your bike performs too. Everyone has their own sweet spot and a couple of PSI can make a huge difference depending on whether its wet, dry or that perfect sweet spot of tacky hero dirt. I personally like somewhere between 22 and 24 psi for the front and 26 to 28 psi for the rear.
And as everyone else has said, just get out and enjoy it, don't overthink it, and keep us all informed on your progress

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles