Fuel EXe Weak brakes on 2023 Fuel Exe 9.8 XT

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
Question about the XT brakes on my 2023 Trek EXe Fuel 9.8 XT. The XT brakes feel weak. I’ve tried cleaning the disks (automotive brake cleaner and isopropyl). Even sanded the pads. I can still barely get the Assegai and Aggressor to lock up.

Every time I hop on my 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper 650B Expert (with original OEM XT brakes), I about go over the handlebars the first couple times I hit the brakes. Those XTs activate hard and fast. Wheel lock up is easy.

I ride tight woods single track, so I’m hitting the brakes every 5-10 seconds. Maybe overheating? Am I using the wrong disk cleaner? Anyone recommend a more aggressive pad?

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
My brand new XT brakes were howling like a badly played saxophone after getting wet... 16 miles from brand new... Up until that point they were excellent and also silent.

It was mainly the rear - it howled for another 13 mile ride after that (with next to nil braking effect) so enough was enough. The front silenced itself.... So I switched to galfer green on the rear. All good so far.

I used them on my previous bike and they never made a sound and were sharp AF!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Do the brakes get better of you pull the lever a few times? If so, you need to bleed them.
Did you bed them in from new?
And so on and so on. I have been down the brake problems rabbit hole before.
There are so many tips and hints to get silent, over-the-bars braking that I probably couldn't list them in a post that you would read.

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
Sound is not the issue. They are silent. The issue is they are weak. Pumping them does not help. They were bedded in when new. I just cleaned the disk and sanded the pads last week and bedded them again. Somewhat better, but nowhere near the powerful on/off switch of the XT brakes on my Stumpjumper. If I grabbed the stumpjumper’s XT brakes as hard as I must squeeze the Fuel’s XT brakes, I’d be over the handlebars.

I’ll order some new pads and start over.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
That’s very strange, something is wrong for sure. I have the same brakes on my Rail XT and they will indeed put you over the handlebars easily. When working right they are brilliant brakes.

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
JP-NZ,

That’s crazy. The brakes on my ‘21 Rail XT were even worse than the '23 Fuel XT.

Between the battery clanking, poor brakes and ZEB arm pump, I sold it after 6 months.

ragetty

Nov 20, 2022
Bad Tölz, Germany
Mine are fine, almost too digital for liking, but stopping quickly is certainly not the problem.

If you have already done all of the obvious, then the pads were either contaminated at some point or dud material from the get go.

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
Keep in mind the factory pads are resin. I upgraded to metal pads and prefer the quicker initial bite and power with less fading.

1693224463974.png

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
one thing that is clear is something isn't right as XT brakes if working correct will lock up if you want them to. You said your on the brake ever 5-10 second then they aren't going to hold up.

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
They are somewhat better now. I assume my local trails, which are very tight flat forest singletrack trails, couldn’t keep them clean enough. I found a ½ mile long slight downhill and hammered the brakes pretty hard all the way down. They feel better now.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I’ve tried cleaning the disks (automotive brake cleaner and isopropyl). Even sanded the pads. I can still barely get the Assegai and Aggressor to lock up.
I might be the only one here but I've never cleaned my brake discs or sanded brake pads in the 25 years Ive been riding MTBs. I've never had an issue that would need that level of care.

I was always taught to not touch brake discs with your hand. That has served me well

angelopapus

May 14, 2023
British Columbia
I agree my 9.8 XT brakes aren’t fantastic either and I am coming from Code R on my old bike. Also the XT brakes rub when they get hot. Then stop after they cool down…super annoying. Thinking of going back to codes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles