• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Waterproof Trousers Recommendation

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
Hey guys

I'm after some proper waterproof MTB pants (I already have the Endura MT500 Spray which are great for light showers.... But given the lack of summer here n in Cumbria, I'm after something better).

The fox ranger 3l seems to be a good choice, but stock is virtually non existent and the defend doesn't rate as well.
The mt500 waterproof are not a good choice for me as they are crinkley and the fit is not good (compared to the spray).

Any recommendations guys?

I'm 6'2"ish with a 36"waist.....

Cheers

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
As I said elsewhere:

"I use a lightweight packable waterproof overshell which I carry in a back pack, put it on when it chucks it down and take it off when it stops. Same with trousers. May not look pretty but I'm too old to care."

Edit: have Endura waterproof trousers but sweat to death in them so they sit unloved in a cupboard.

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
As I said elsewhere:

"I use a lightweight packable waterproof overshell which I carry in a back pack, put it on when it chucks it down and take it off when it stops. Same with trousers. May not look pretty but I'm too old to care."
I wear trousers more than shorts (unless the temperature does actually go above 20c).....

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I wear trousers more than shorts (unless the temperature does actually go above 20c).....
Even above 20C the stinging nettles can be really nasty but now seem to be losing some 'stingability' [sic]. Got some Endura MT500 ultra lightweight trousers which wear in summer 'cos lot of what we do is XC in nettle lined countryside. Got a pair of mens and a pair of women's, both fit just right. 😉

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
Even above 20C the stinging nettles can be really nasty but now seem to be losing some 'stingability' [sic]. Got some Endura MT500 ultra lightweight trousers which wear in summer 'cos lot of what we do is XC in nettle lined countryside. Got a pair of mens and a pair of women's, both fit just right. 😉
Have they changed them in the last year or two? I found the fit so different to the Spray version, so sent them back (that was a year or two back)

3dp

Aug 26, 2020
Stalyvegas
technical fabrics will eventually leak - so I’ve a few options dirtlej suit for slopfests and some genuine and some not so much via aliexpress POC trouser and shorts and some endura mt500’s various option from depth of winter to depth of summer

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Hey guys

I'm after some proper waterproof MTB pants (I already have the Endura MT500 Spray which are great for light showers.... But given the lack of summer here n in Cumbria, I'm after something better).

The fox ranger 3l seems to be a good choice, but stock is virtually non existent and the defend doesn't rate as well.
The mt500 waterproof are not a good choice for me as they are crinkley and the fit is not good (compared to the spray).

Any recommendations guys?

I'm 6'2"ish with a 36"waist.....

Cheers
Madison DTE 3-Layer waterproof Trousers, the Dungarees are also top notch, Leatt Hydradry 5 are also excellent, living here in Yorkshire the aforementioned recommendations have brushed off all that the weather has thrown at them.

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
TLD Resist.

They feel a bit rubbery when you touch them but they feel fine when you're riding.

They do let water in eventually. I think last time I wore them was in the Peak District and it rained for 7 hotlrs solid. They kept me dry for a surprisingly long time though.

There's 2 different versions. The old ones are quite tapered at the ankle. I can just about get them over the top of my Lake boots. Grip Grab gaiters over the boots, then pull the trousers down over the whole lot.

Wearing them with shoes would be pointless, all the water would just run into your shoes. Water proof socks...? Maybe that would work.

I want to try the Madison DTE dungarees. I've got so much Madison stuff and it's all excellent.

I bought a Leatt dirt suit thing from CRC during their fire sale. Haven't actually worn it yet. I'm not sure I can bring myself to wear a Onesie

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles