Water? How deep have you gone ? and Took One for the Team

RedThunder

May 19, 2020
Voyager 1
How deep have you been ? and the bike lived ?

Todays Southern Comfort ride took me into about 12". I then bailed out the other rider.

Britist Summer Time , Moses was now where to be seen on this ride.

And I took one one for the team.

PS: Before anyone asks the square thing on my my back is a sketchbook, not a surf board, which would of been useful today :)

How deep have you been ? and the bike lived.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Please look away if you find these images frightening 😉

IMG_5475.jpeg
IMG_2133.jpeg

I ride in all types of weather but sometimes you’re faced with deep water …a river crossing. This particular crossing was fast and deep. (No pics).I had to cross it twice. I was soaked. My bike became a submarine because I couldn’t safely raise it above my head and cross the river at the same time.

No motor damage and I’m still doing the same stupid things.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Please look away if you find these images frightening 😉

View attachment 147184
View attachment 147185

I ride in all types of weather but sometimes you’re faced with deep water …a river crossing. This particular crossing was fast and deep. (No pics).I had to cross it twice. I was soaked. My bike became a submarine because I couldn’t safely raise it above my head and cross the river at the same time.

No motor damage and I’m still doing the same stupid things.
Are you a sniper off to kill someone?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I do plenty of wet rides and river crossings. In fact i've been drowning in mud and rain for the past 4 months.

BUT, I am not riding my bike deeper than bearings or motor casing. That is a recipe for dead bearings and motor.
I will carry it.

20210509_083905.jpg
Stony.jpg
viber_image_2021-02-28_12-12-14.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Are you a sniper off to kill someone?
Bahaaa! My Ninja-like attire didn’t help at all that day. That stuff on my back was bridge decking. Rough cedar 2x6x32”. I tricked a friend into helping me that morning …he snapped the picture.

It had just rained and the snow was kinda melting. The creek crossing were deepish and the weather conditions sucked. Between the two of us we were able to make 5 trips (3+ hours) and delivered the decking material to the bridge I had framed. I completed the bridge days later.

Btw, my friend was 72 at the time and was able to carry much more than I.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Bahaaa! My Ninja-like attire didn’t help at all that day. That stuff on my back was bridge decking. Rough cedar 2x6x32”. I tricked a friend into helping me that morning …he snapped the picture.

It had just rained and the snow was kinda melting. The creek crossing were deepish and the weather conditions sucked. Between the two of us we were able to make 5 trips (3+ hours) and delivered the decking material to the bridge I had framed. I completed the bridge days later.

Btw, my friend was 72 at the time and was able to carry much more than I.
Excellent work. Now I need to see said bridge.

Ps, I'm a bit dissappointed you arent a sniper off to kill someone!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I think I’ve built 12 bridges on this mountain. Most of the materials came from red cedar which has fallen in the woods. Some of the decking and hardware was purchased by me. Some decking is split cedar which is salvaged in the woods.

View attachment 147194 View attachment 147195 View attachment 147196 View attachment 147197 View attachment 147198 View attachment 147199 View attachment 147200 View attachment 147201 View attachment 147202 View attachment 147203 View attachment 147204 View attachment 147205
Veddy nice!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
They look amazing!!
Thanks!
Veddy nice!
Thanks

I have 3 or 4 planned for next year. The hikers and bikers really appreciate them and I really like them for year round riding and some access to higher altitudes.

A few of my buddies help out when they can but a bridge can take up to a month or two. Depends on location and availability of materials. A small car could drive over some of these.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I have witnessed the same mate twice now get wiped out by the flow of water trying to ride through a fast flowing river and witness mate and bike float off down the river.... (mtb not E). It's farken hilarious.

Side note, when the motor is hot and it hits deep water the alloy motor housing rapidly cools and creates a vacuum that can suck moisture in through the crank seals. As we all know all electrical components are made from smoke. Once you let the smoke out the component is fried.... Moisture is a sure fire way to help the smoke escape........

Personally its not worth the risk of water ingress to ride through deep streams/rivers. With that said i will ride in rain and mud and shit and if the motor gets wet and packed with mud so be it. But im not purposefully dumping in deep water when its hot.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles