Wait 8 hours after charging?

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
Hi, I just read the charger manual for my Turbo Levo and noticed it says that Specialized recommends you wait 8 hours/overnight after charging the batt fully before riding. I hope that is just for the first use?!

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
Sure, but can’t find it online. This is in the separate charger manual. There’s a small yellow ! mark that says to wait 8 hours/overnite after a full charge before riding.
Probably a battery temp issue. Seems really stupid/conservative.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
okay, found that "tech tip" in the charger manual as well. First I thought "STUPID!". Then I thought - normally I ride my bike, let the battery cool down and charge it in the evening or over night. So on normal days my battery automatically gets the 8 hours rest between charging and riding. On weekends and on bike-trips I charge and ride whenever it's possible. So I say "F*CK IT!" :devilish:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I have a lot of experience in charging lithium chemistry batteries for RC use, and I would say that advice is needlessly conservative. The absolute most aggressive ride will average a 1/2C discharge (i.e. full capacity discharged in 2hrs), which should not generate a huge amount of heat. I agree charging warm batteries is a bad idea; it does decrease cycle life and capacity and increase internal resistance if done repeatedly. However, leaving it for 30-60 mins after use should be more than enough to dissipate the heat to a level that charging will not cause any damage. Besides, the default charge rates on these packs are very low too, so charging itself should not generate much heat either.

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I have a lot of experience in charging lithium chemistry batteries for RC use, and I would say that advice is needlessly conservative. The absolute most aggressive ride will average a 1/2C discharge (i.e. full capacity discharged in 2hrs), which should not generate a huge amount of heat. I agree charging warm batteries is a bad idea; it does decrease cycle life and capacity and increase internal resistance if done repeatedly. However, leaving it for 30-60 mins after use should be more than enough to dissipate the heat to a level that charging will not cause any damage. Besides, the default charge rates on these packs are very low too, so charging itself should not generate much heat either.

Good info - thanks

But :) the OP was talking about leaving them 8 hours *after* charging

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Good info - thanks

But :) the OP was talking about leaving them 8 hours *after* charging
Ok... That is even more pointless! A 1/4C charge cycle will generate even less heat in the pack than using it in the bike. 10-15 mins cool down after charging “might” be beneficial to batt capacity and internal resistance over hundreds of charge cycles, but unless you compared back to back in a highly controlled test I doubt you’d notice any meaningful difference. In summary, just charge it and ride it!

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Vaguely remember reading somewhere that battery balancing takes place after the charging shuts off to keep the cells evenly charged and from going out of balance, to preserve the life of the battery pack. Anyone else heard this?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles