Viewing EMTB Forum on a mobile phone

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
I'm a bit confused as to why I sometimes seem to view a forum post in 2 different ways. If it's coming from Google it's straightforward. However it often seems to default to an App style display, although I can't see that as an App in my list. I find the App display a nuisance because I can't seem to send an interesting post by email to save it as a bookmark on the PC.

Am I going wrong somewhere?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm not sure I understand ...

There isn't an app, the forum should just display in your browser ?

It might be on your phone you have two different browsers ? Like Chrome for instance. On one you go in, goto emtbforums.com and them go into Forums ? Or you just go straight to : EMTB Forums (forums).

However it often seems to default to an App style display,
I take it you're going into it a different way and another application is displaying it differently ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I use Tapatalk to view the forum on my mobile but it's started to get some annoying "features" if you don't subscribe so I might go back to using Safari.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
I'm not sure I understand ...

There isn't an app, the forum should just display in your browser ?

It might be on your phone you have two different browsers ? Like Chrome for instance. On one you go in, goto emtbforums.com and them go into Forums ? Or you just go straight to : EMTB Forums (forums).

I take it you're going into it a different way and another application is displaying it differently ?
I think I've worked it out but not sure if I have a solution (yet?). When I open your link it's fine and it shows the share link icon and although not necessary the three dots give an option to open in Chrome.

On my PC, in Chrome I just use a normal bookmark link to access the EMTB forum. On the phone (Android) what I have been using in Chrome is the option to add a shortcut to the Home Screen and its this which is causing the issue. For some reason it seems to be only the EMTB Forum site which has this problem because all my other quick access sites on the Home Screen which were created in the same way don't have this issue.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
I think I've worked it out but not sure if I have a solution (yet?). When I open your link it's fine and it shows the share link icon and although not necessary the three dots give an option to open in Chrome.

On my PC, in Chrome I just use a normal bookmark link to access the EMTB forum. On the phone (Android) what I have been using in Chrome is the option to add a shortcut to the Home Screen and its this which is causing the issue. For some reason it seems to be only the EMTB Forum site which has this problem because all my other quick access sites on the Home Screen which were created in the same way don't have this issue.
This is what it looks like from the Home Screen quick access link
Screenshot_20210410-211856_Chrome.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Looks like your home screen link is set to open in a window and not a tab, so it's just not showing the address bar. It should all work exactly the same though.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
That looks the same as mine (Pixel 3a running Android 11 and chrome browser) except I paid the £5 to stop the adverts appearing.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Looks like your home screen link is set to open in a window and not a tab, so it's just not showing the address bar. It should all work exactly the same though.
It does work exactly the same except you can't share the page link by email to save it for later to bookmark on the PC. Strange though that it's only the EMTB Forum which has this problem.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I guess there's some really obscure setting somewhere in the forum software which causes it to drop the address bar when it's setup as a direct link. I can't imagine Rob ever finding it ! :)

You can still share and so on .. just long press on the post title or whatever and a pop up box appears with all the options - like share for example.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
I guess there's some really obscure setting somewhere in the forum software which causes it to drop the address bar when it's setup as a direct link. I can't imagine Rob ever finding it ! :)

You can still share and so on .. just long press on the post title or whatever and a pop up box appears with all the options - like share for example.
Excellent - thanks very much for finding that @Zimmerframe

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles