Valve differences

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
As a newby, what's the difference between shraeder and Presta valves? And, if I have a wheel with a presta valve, can I fit an innertube with a schraeder one?

Cheers

Alan

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Shrader valves have an outer diameter of 8mm wheras presta are 6mm.
if your rim is only drilled for presta a shrader valve isn't going to fit without one of these:

1597957411346.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Oh.. and shrader are tha far superior valves.
it's just that the bicycle industry put more value in stupid lightweight shit over durability or function ;)

[commence arguing]

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
Thanks both. I have bikes with Presta valves and a spare inner tube with schraeder. I guess I need to buy another one

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Oh.. and shrader are tha far superior valves.
it's just that the bicycle industry put more value in stupid lightweight shit over durability or function ;)

[commence arguing]
With you there Gary, Presta are a complete waste of time. That stupid pin that always gets bent and then breaks ?

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I have nearly the same bike as yours.
It came with Presta, I ordered 2 Schrader inner tubes and drilled the wheel to 8mm.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Because Presta valves are air actuated and not spring actuated like Schraeder valves the theory is they do a better job of not seeping air.
Presta valves are usually heavier than schraeder valves surprisingly.
The reason why high end bikes usually come with Presta valves is this. Back in the late 60s to mid 90s, the best wheels came from Italy, Belgium or France. These countries used Presta valve drilled rims on their wheel sets. Because most road riders want to emulate what they see in the Tour de France, it just became accepted.
Now it’s just a compatibility thing. All high end rims have Presta holes and most tubeless valves are Presta.
In my honest opinion, if people find Presta more difficult, they probably have the same trouble operating doorknobs or jar lids.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles