• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Using a bike computer to show correct speed

eleazar6

Jul 26, 2020
DFW, TX
I have an Ari Nebo Peak (Fazua Ride60) with a Speedi mechanical de-restrictor, which shows speed as 66% of actual. Using Sigma Rox 4.0 to display battery %, watts and stuff. It seems to prefer the e-bike speed over GPS, and Sigma support said even an external speed sensor would not show correct speed, although i'd like to test that.

Has anyone found any bike computer where you can select GPS as the speed sensor? I think the Garmin 830 might let you, but can't find any info.

juggernaut

Mar 31, 2023
Australia
I have the Garmin 830 that I swap between my two e-bikes - one with Garmin’s speed sensor mounted on the rear wheel hub, the other without a speed sensor. It will automatically use GPS speed if it can’t detect a speed sensor. FYI the speed sensor needs to be added to the sensor list for the 830 to detect. You can also delete sensors.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I use an old-school CatEye Velo Wireless to display speed and distance. It's a stand-alone unit that has a pickup mounted on the fork tube. It's not as fancy as your Rox, but it gets the job done.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles