Levo Gen 2 Used 2019 Turbo Levo Expert or new 2021 base Turbo Levo?

arjunvenk

Mar 7, 2021
Baltimore, MD
I found a guy selling his used 2019 Expert for $5500. Looks to be in good condition from the pictures. He said the motor was replaced once and provided this link for specs:

Thoughts on which I should get? The 700Wh battery is tempting but I’m not sure I should risk buying a bike that is out of warranty (I think it's only 2 years?)

This will be my first "real" MTB in case that is relevant. Real as in over $1k

Xerious

Sep 11, 2020
Bay Area, Ca.
I found a guy selling his used 2019 Expert for $5500. Looks to be in good condition from the pictures. He said the motor was replaced once and provided this link for specs:

Thoughts on which I should get? The 700Wh battery is tempting but I’m not sure I should risk buying a bike that is out of warranty (I think it's only 2 years?)

This will be my first "real" MTB in case that is relevant. Real as in over $1k

I had the same decision and went with the larger battery. I picked up the exact same model you’re considering. I was told that the warranty was extended an additional 2 years and it covered both first and second owners.

I’ve been very happy with the bike and no issues so far.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
For the 2019 and 2020 levo's the warranty was extended from 2 to 4 years to cover a software issue (fixed with firmware update) which could have caused additional motor wear. So it should have 4 years as @Xerious says.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
For the 2019 and 2020 levo's the warranty was extended from 2 to 4 years to cover a software issue (fixed with firmware update) which could have caused additional motor wear. So it should have 4 years as @Xerious says.

The software is part of the problem .
The original belts are another . I noticed if your motor has a 2020 belt The Bearing Man charges less to upgrade . As he doesn`t change the belt .
What do you extrapolate from that Zimmer ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ooooh .... we do like to extrapolate :) .. Though I think many of my theories might be seen more as extruded like a constipated poo .. :)

Some background I guess, Al was kind enough to put together some information from his experience working on the motors/bikes a couple of years ago which gives a good starting point and well worth a read.

Another thread worth reading which was more recent but covered some similar things and also worth reading :

Along the way, the belt was upgraded in some way. I think it was slightly thicker, so inturn - slightly stronger and possibly slightly better at handling hot scenarios. It maybe has a slightly higher kevlar content, a different layup, different method of production - possibly requires less precise tensioning ? Maybe is a more attractive colour .. Maybe @Bearing Man can clarify that a bit more for us - though it's a work day today rather than a play day, so he might be busy ! :)

Anyway, I'm going to extrude myself from here and go for a ride ..

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
The software is part of the problem .
The original belts are another . I noticed if your motor has a 2020 belt The Bearing Man charges less to upgrade . As he doesn`t change the belt .
Belts are carbon and were changed as Zimmer said, in 2020. Does not make anything run cooler but seem to be proving to be stronger. This is why it's not necessary to change on any upgrade done to a 2020 or later motor (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles