Upgrading to Shimano XT RT86 Ice-Tec 203mm rotors

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
on a 2018 Levo - do I need new mounts and/or spacers or can I just bolt them on?

Should also mention I've already upgraded the brakes to Shimano 8020's

1548325819226.jpg

Tibo

Jan 24, 2019
France
What's your actual disc diameter ? 200mm as standard ? If so, you will need a 180pm-203Pm mount adaptor as the one wich is on the levo is 180pm-200Pm. If I remember well the frame is 180 PM on the Levo. You can evantually put 1.5mm shims but I would prefer an adaptor that fit directly. After buying a Levo, 8020, and RT86, adaptors are not the biggest expense !

I'm considering the same upgrade for the future on my levo. Not a big fan of the Sram Guide RE and totally loved my previous XT M8000. Are you satisfied with the M8020 ?

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A couple of washers will do the trick in terms of allowing the disc to clear the caliper. But if you get any vibration under heavy braking you may have to buy the proper adaptor. You may as well try it, you have nothing to lose, unless you are about to go on a fortnights' biking holiday in a country without spares. :unsure:

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
What's your actual disc diameter ? 200mm as standard ? If so, you will need a 180pm-203Pm mount adaptor as the one wich is on the levo is 180pm-200Pm. If I remember well the frame is 180 PM on the Levo. You can evantually put 1.5mm shims but I would prefer an adaptor that fit directly. After buying a Levo, 8020, and RT86, adaptors are not the biggest expense !

I'm considering the same upgrade for the future on my levo. Not a big fan of the Sram Guide RE and totally loved my previous XT M8000. Are you satisfied with the M8020 ?

Thanks, that starts to help... Yes, my standard, factory fit rotors are 200's (s-works model)

In regards to the M8020's - I love them, I had Code RSC's (standard) and they failed and spesh swapped them out for a new set under warranty. When they failed again spesh offered me the 8020's and I bit their hand off. Better modulation, better stopping power, no fade and less noise when wet - highly recommended

EDIT: and the lever feels sooo much better too

Last edited:

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
apparently it’s the same as the XT’s but lighter...
Well, as new Ultegra VS Dura Ace works virtually the same, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, at the and XTR and Dura Ace will be XTR and Dura Ace, it is not the same, far from it. ;)

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
The only thing I'm not liking on my 2018 Carbon Comp Levo is the Guide brakes. Shimano has always worked for me. Ud like more details on this swap. Any issues with the SRAM shifter or seat dropper controls mounting with the XT levers? Assuming you replaced the hoses, any learning or hints on this?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
The only thing I'm not liking on my 2018 Carbon Comp Levo is the Guide brakes. Shimano has always worked for me. Ud like more details on this swap. Any issues with the SRAM shifter or seat dropper controls mounting with the XT levers? Assuming you replaced the hoses, any learning or hints on this?
I have two bikes with SRAM shifters and Shimano brakes (Saint and SLX) and no issues with shifter and dropper lever placement.
Hoses are specific to the brakes and while you can make custom fittings but cannot mix anything between SRAM and Shimano. SRAM uses DOT fluid Shimano uses mineral so once you used the hose for one system you can't use it for the other even with the proper fittings.

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
I'm not massively impressed with my standard '18 Carbon Levo brakes....sort of related - is a sticking brake rear brake cylinder a warranty issue on a year old bike? Uneven wear on the pads and lever feels crap...cheers

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
Thanks for these tips. My 18TL is my first bike with anything SRAM. I'm gathering that at least the SRAM Guide RE brakes are not great. I'm getting heat warping on the discs that I cannot true out and grinding with more than 50% on the pads that I can't clear. Rides great until I use them and heat them up then they are warped for the rest of the ride, true up and it does it fist time on the next ride. I talked with the dealer and he said yea they are crap but no warranty was offered. Wonder what others are getting for this, looks like Stumpy had warranty support. Stumpy did you have more serious issues than rubbing, maybe rubbing is OK for SRAM (LOL), not for me.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I'm not massively impressed with my standard '18 Carbon Levo brakes....sort of related - is a sticking brake rear brake cylinder a warranty issue on a year old bike? Uneven wear on the pads and lever feels crap...cheers

Those issues are pretty common with SRAM brakes. Other than their sleek look I found them absolute rubbish but SRAM is pushing OEM hard and pretty much everything is coming with their brakes. You have to spend extra if you want proper brakes and I had to do it with two bikes that came Guide RS and RE. I just swapped them with Shimano and sold them for some peanuts.
Ask your dealer if you can still warranty them. Usually, SRAM replaces them with no fuss because they know they're crap.

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Thanks for these tips. My 18TL is my first bike with anything SRAM. I'm gathering that at least the SRAM Guide RE brakes are not great. I'm getting heat warping on the discs that I cannot true out and grinding with more than 50% on the pads that I can't clear. Rides great until I use them and heat them up then they are warped for the rest of the ride, true up and it does it fist time on the next ride. I talked with the dealer and he said yea they are crap but no warranty was offered. Wonder what others are getting for this, looks like Stumpy had warranty support. Stumpy did you have more serious issues than rubbing, maybe rubbing is OK for SRAM (LOL), not for me.

Hi!

Both sets of CODE RSC’s I had suffered with spongy levers that didn’t return when squeezed. The original set the LBS said has a sticky piston. When the replacement set had the same problem the LBS called Spesh who said swap them out for 8020’s - no questions/fuss.

From what I’ve heard/read a lot of it is down to the LBS relationship with the local Spesh rep - mines is obviously good. I’ve had 2 motors, the brakes and a seat post on warranty so far.

If you don’t get what you want I’d shout a bit louder or try another LBS.

The 8020’s (came with lever, hose and Caliper) are night and day, better all round from feel to function. At the same time I went for gripshift (and a whole new 1x12 setup) so didn’t need a hanger for the gear shifter on the right hand side. On the left they just added a separate mount for the dropper.

Good luck!

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK

Yep - see post above

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles