Upgrading suspension, what to expect?

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
Got my first full sus, a Cube hybrid stereo
CUBE Stereo Hybrid 140 Pro 500 27.5 blue´n´green 2018

Comes with a Suntour Aion fork and a suntour aion shock.

The version higher has a fox float 36 and a fox float dpx2
I already upgraded the brakes from M315s to XTs, as the brakes were aenemic and simply went from 0 to 100. I knew from my hardtail what the difference is with XT brakes, what real brakes should feel like.

Upgrading the suspension costs substantially more than the 140€ I paid for the brakes. Would it change a lot? What am I going to get?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
TBH there are two answers to that question, first one is you need to ask yourself the question are you a good enough rider to tell the difference between a top of the range fork and a mid range one? - secondly how good the suspension performs is totally dependent on it being set up correctly - a well set up mid range suspension fork/shock will outperform a poorly set up top of the range one.

If looking to upgrade I would personally make sure your current suspension is set up properly, as aside from making the bike ride better, it will also allow you to see the areas you may think it is lacking - e.g if you want more small bump sensitivity, then look for a fork that offers that etc etc

Personally I think we are currently very well served by the major suspension manufacturers with their one down from top of the range offerings, and you can often get the best but one products for a lot cheaper than the top of the range.

E.G with Fox a Performance Elite is the same as the Factory Forks, just no Kashima coating.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I agree with @R120 . Make the absolute best of your current suspension before you start replacing bits of it.

One question you should ask yourself is "what is your current suspension doing that you don't like, or would prefer that it did better, and in what way?" Would you be able to describe your needs to a suspension tuner (like TF Tuned for example). Or do you just want to spend more money in the expectation that it will be better and that you will notice? I am not having a go at you, just trying to assist with the thought process. Upgrading suspension can be very expensive and if you are not sure what you need, the money could be wasted.

I can recommend reading up on the subject of suspension set up. I discovered the following suspension set up manual from Bike Rumour a few years again and it will take you from the basics in easy to understand language and photos, right up to exotic stuff that very few riders will have on their bike.
https://bikerumor.com/2014/10/30/bikerumor-suspension-setup-series-full-series-pdf-free-download/

Download it and read it one section at a time. I guarantee that you will keep returning to it. :)

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Top of the line has more adjustments, HS/LS damping for instance. If you ride terrain that is wide and varied it may be helpful. Otherwise, IMHO, you have to be a pretty good rider to notice the difference.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I don't think you need to be a skilled rider to get a benefit, you just need to be using your bike. I had suntour forks and they were crap in every way. Can't jump without bottoming out and small bump sensitivity was same as rigid forks but with the added bonus of a rattle. Now I have ohlins and they are perfect for either xc, or ,with a one second adjustment, DH.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Top of the line has more adjustments, HS/LS damping for instance. If you ride terrain that is wide and varied it may be helpful. Otherwise, IMHO, you have to be a pretty good rider to notice the difference.
I agree. In the hands of skilled riders and/or technicians who understand and can evaluate subtle changes in suspension characteristics, more adjustments are a god-send. Especially in race situations where conditions or track locations change, so variances can be fine-tuned accordingly. BUT in the wrong hands, more adjustments just means more things can go wrong. Most of us don't even know what a negative air spring is, and what it does, and how stuffing that up wrecks an air fork's behaviour.

THIS too. It bolsters self-esteem, if everything else fails. And there's nothing to say that this alone isn't valid. We are after all, consumers in a consumer market. They sell, we buy.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The only real reason to "upgrade" perfectly good (not worn/broken) suspension components is if you are disappointed with the performance/adjustment of your current suspension components.
this may include such improvements as stiffness, support/spring rate, weight, damping etc.
The fact you don't say anything at all negative about your current suspension seems to point towards you being perfectly happy with it. Could be a case of ignorance is bliss or your current suspension may be all you require.

totally agree with @R120 about setting it up properly.. .but also if you've been riding it a while, drop the lowers and do a lower leg and air can service. it's a simple procedure and needs to be done to both keep your suspension running smoothly and prolongue it's life.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I had suntour forks and they were crap in every way. Can't jump without bottoming out and small bump sensitivity was same as rigid forks but with the added bonus of a rattle. Now I have ohlins and they are perfect for either xc, or ,with a one second adjustment, DH.
Yeah. coz every Suntour fork is the same, eh?
:rolleyes:

Any of the decent higher level Suntour forks (like the OP's Aion) can actually be set-up supportive for jumping or incredibly sensitive over small bumps... or more importantly at the sweetspot inbetween where small bump is good, midstroke is supportive, end stroke resistive and damping consistent.
Suntour also happen to manufacture incredibly cheap mass market forks that perform just as the one you describe does and there is very little you can do to improve them massively. They can still be improved slightly though.
Ohlins on the other hand only make high end forks and with them comes a premium pricetag.

Suntour suspension forks range in price from about £60 - £1500
Ohlins forks start around £800 RRP

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
TBH there are two answers to that question, first one is you need to ask yourself the question are you a good enough rider to tell the difference between a top of the range fork and a mid range one?

I don't know, because I have never ridden a bike with a top of the range fork. My previous bike (HT) had Fox Rythme and the Aion has nowhere near the solid feel of that fork. My wife has a cube with a base level suntour coil for, and that is so crap I would actually prefer a fixed fork (the weight costs don't justify the benefits).

- secondly how good the suspension performs is totally dependent on it being set up correctly - a well set up mid range suspension fork/shock will outperform a poorly set up top of the range one.

If looking to upgrade I would personally make sure your current suspension is set up properly, as aside from making the bike ride better, it will also allow you to see the areas you may think it is lacking - e.g if you want more small bump sensitivity, then look for a fork that offers that etc etc

Still learning. This week I discovered that the Aion has spacers, took them out and it makes a positive difference.

Personally I think we are currently very well served by the major suspension manufacturers with their one down from top of the range offerings, and you can often get the best but one products for a lot cheaper than the top of the range.

E.G with Fox a Performance Elite is the same as the Factory Forks, just no Kashima coating.

Yeah, I'm not going to get a Lyric or a Pike, as my ride profile doesn't need one. The bike has 140mm travel. I would have been happier with 100mm but a better fork.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles