Upgrading RS Yari suspension to Lyrik Ultimate

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
Question for some experts:
I have Yari 160mm forks on my Luna X1 and am upgrading to a Lyric Ultimate Damper, (Rockshox Charger Damper 2.1 RCT3 Upgrade Kit). Do I need to upgrade the air piston as well? The Yari appears to be the same piston as the Lyrik but I can't find definitive info on that. Otherwise the forks are near new and I believe I can reuse the piston that is in there if no need to upgrade it.
Any advice would be appreciated.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Question for some experts:
I have Yari 160mm forks on my Luna X1 and am upgrading to a Lyric Ultimate Damper, (Rockshox Charger Damper 2.1 RCT3 Upgrade Kit). Do I need to upgrade the air piston as well? The Yari appears to be the same piston as the Lyrik but I can't find definitive info on that. Otherwise the forks are near new and I believe I can reuse the piston that is in there if no need to upgrade it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
does it have the new debonair air piston ? if not, upgrade it for sure but you dont HAVE to upgrade it.
its the same air spring yes - 2021 C1 Debonair Air Spring Upgrade Kits Lyrik/Yari, Pike/Revelation 2018+
I changed my lyrik airpsring for one of these, its a 2020 fork and had 150 travel, it also used to sink into the early part of its travel without weight on the bike. the upgrade made a very noticeable difference. you didnt say what year your fork is but you can always put the serial number written on the back of the fork crown into TRAILHEAD and the results will let you know your fork details and available upgrades.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
You don't have to, unless you wish to add or remove travel on the fork but it is an upgrade on the factory fit with the main feature being a smaller negative air chamber. If you're going top & tails Lyrik, then I would & it's by far the cheaper of the two new parts you need.

Either way, I think you'll be pleased, the difference with the charger damper alone is really noticeable in a good way.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I upgraded my Yari RC with a Novy Splug which is great, I much prefer aftermarket options to a charger damper! They can tune to your weight, bike & riding style. For the air side you can just upgrade to C1 sealhead & foot nut rather that whole unit, which is what I did

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
does it have the new debonair air piston ? if not, upgrade it for sure but you dont HAVE to upgrade it.
its the same air spring yes - 2021 C1 Debonair Air Spring Upgrade Kits Lyrik/Yari, Pike/Revelation 2018+
I changed my lyrik airpsring for one of these, its a 2020 fork and had 150 travel, it also used to sink into the early part of its travel without weight on the bike. the upgrade made a very noticeable difference. you didnt say what year your fork is but you can always put the serial number written on the back of the fork crown into TRAILHEAD and the results will let you know your fork details and available upgrades.
Yes, upgrading damper because of that very sinking action you described. I managed a compromise with tuning that works but had to nearly lock out the stock dampener to stop the front end from diving into turns, (not a good compromise).

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Yes, upgrading damper because of that very sinking action you described. I managed a compromise with tuning that works but had to nearly lock out the stock dampener to stop the front end from diving into turns, (not a good compromise).
it sinks into the initial travel because of the airspring mate so I would recommend upgrading it for sure, theres no better time and like I say, it made a difference to my lyrik.
I would like to upgrade to the same damper as you are thinking of but I just serviced my charger RC damper so ill ride it for a while yet.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The revised airsping came out on the 2021 models.........but if the one you intend buying does not have it, it is only c £40 to get one and a simple lower leg service routine to fit it. It gets rid of the c 10mm sag the previous airspring resulted in and made it uneccessary to equalise the pos and neg air chambers when inflating.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I could be wrong & no offence intended if you are aware of all this but I think you are talking about 2 different things.
The newer airspring is to have the fork pushed out to the full extent of it's travel after pumping it up. With the V1 airspring the fork would drop 5-10mm into it's travel under its' own weight, the V2 stopped this. (someone did try to point out the difference between this & the sag it would have anyway but I can't remember the answer)
Brake dive is a different thing & happens with the charger 2.1 damper as well, however you can tune the lower speed compression to adjust the amount. Increasing the LSC however does take away some sensitivity over the smaller bumps.
I think what made as much difference to the platform was istalling the SKF seals, the feeling of plushness was immediate
I have done the upgrade a few years ago & the result was well worth it then. Nowadays I'd be looking at a new 2nd hand fork instead as there seem to be a lot more new or hardly used 38 forks or higher specced forks on the market for a reasonable sum.

Last edited:

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
Thanks for the input. I have ordered a new air spring to go with the new damper. I will update after I install them and ride a familiar trail.
Thanks all!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles