UCI E-MTB World Championships - Monte St Anne

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ha, maybe but he has serious skills and given the motor evening things out he's my punt. He monstered the senior DH world champs last weekend

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
My bet is on Absalon.
This is the place where he got his first world championship.
I wonder how they can regulate the motors (speed limit, average power). Without a dedicated equipment, i can't see how they can make it fair !

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ha, maybe but he has serious skills and given the motor evening things out he's my punt. He monstered the senior DH world champs last weekend
That was MASTERS world champs.
Winning his age cat is a good 20s off the times the likes of top 10 WC guys like Bernard would do and all of these guys
- Kenta Gallagher
- Jaroslav Kulhavy
- Marco Fontana
- Christoph Sauser
- Julien Absalon
would absolutely smash Bernard in an XC race.

it's an XC race BTW ;)

Should at least be a little more interesting than that stupid motocross track race.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
guessing it's on finished right about now.

Doubt Redbull are were particularly interested in filming it live

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
here we go

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 21.17.57.png

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 21.18.14.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Full lycra wins they day, and on a fecking Levo. Still Wynn knows how to cross the line, on a nice looking proto GT from the look of things

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 21.20.54.png

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 21.22.03.png

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
This is legit racing. By legit athletes. Just different from pure pedaling or purely motor driven. A combination of the two for riders who are strong at both. The rules for pedal bikes had to evolve...the rules for motorcycles had to evolve. The rules for EMTBs will evolve as well.

I think this is a win for EMTBs.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
Unfortunately doping is a part of ALL sports requiring physical stamina. One of the reasons I like EMTB racing compared to MTB racing is even though physical fitness is a huge part of EMTB racing (where doping will definitely help) there is no amount of any drug will help with technical skills which are a huge part of the contest on a properly designed EMTB race course.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
Why?
Won't a levo last an hour in turbo on 500wh?

The 500 wh battery is right on the limit. It depends on the amount of climbing, types of terrain, etc. With a 700wh battery there should be no question it will last the entire 60 minutes on the highest assist mode.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
I have a 2019 Levo Comp Carbon (red)...on my 500wh battery I can get 1 hour on the highest assist on my local trail with about 15-20% battery left. Not alot of climbing here though. I doubt I would get over an hour with tons of climbing.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Unfortunately doping is a part of ALL sports requiring physical stamina. One of the reasons I like EMTB racing compared to MTB racing is even though physical fitness is a huge part of EMTB racing (where doping will definitely help) there is no amount of any drug will help with technical skills which are a huge part of the contest on a properly designed EMTB race course.

When chemical doping can only give you a small advantage over your competitors, (these days), motors will make the difference in ebike racing. Before you get into illegal modifications, which will for sure happen, there are already large differences between brands. The "250w" classification they all fall under is meaningless, it's their peak power and torque that will win races, and that isn't limited.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
there are already large differences between brands. The "250w" classification they all fall under is meaningless, it's their peak power and torque that will win races, and that isn't limited.
Well... weight to power really. (assuming riding skill level/experience is fairly even) and the main reason I've always said 'serious' Emtb racing is completely stupid.
The whole idea of competing to become XC world champ in Emtb is completely laughable.

shows what a bunch of dicks the UCI are though. which is always a bonus

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
Well... weight to power really. (assuming riding skill level/experience is fairly even) and the main reason I've always said 'serious' Emtb racing is completely stupid.
The whole idea of competing to become XC world champ in Emtb is completely laughable.bonus

I agree about power to weight is the key in any type of racing! However I disagree about the merits of racing Emtbs...I believe there is a place for it. Every form of motorsport has these issues to deal with. Motorcycles, cars, etc. have been dealing with this for a long time. And...at times struggling with it. I raced go-karts for awhile. A group of friends and I started our own class because of rampant cheating (illegally modifying the motor) in the local races. I like motocross because it is mostly rider skill/fitness that wins the day (motor cheating does affect the race but not very much).

Either way, racing for electric bikes/motorcycles/cars/etc. is coming quickly. I believe the racing industry hasn't figured it out yet. But they will (have to). Agreed that if they don't make it a fair race then it will END the sport.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Emtb racing has already come too far FAR TOO quickly.
it's absolutely laughable FIM and UCI fighting over holding WORLD TITLE racing before they've even figured out any proper rules or format.
I get that owners want to be included and have events to challenge themselves in but at the moment Emtb simply can't work fairly in any current mtb discipline. (whether that be DH, XC, 4X, Duel, Enduro or whatever) The closest workable discipline in my eyes would be true gravity enduro racing. ie. on tracks steep/tech enough with no real let off in gradient/technicality and where a difference in motor torque/delivery wouldn't matter. But nowhere actually has enough long enough stages where assistance/pedalling would make no difference in close enough proximity that holding a fair event like this could become a reaility. It may be workable in a fair way if for example timed stages were run chainless or batteryless (batteries disconnected for each stage rather than removed completely). still pretty stupid though, difficult to implement and ultimately so ultra- niche very few people would even want to do it.

comparing Emtb racing to motor racing is just stupid... unless you have pedal assist in your gocarts/MX bikes

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
But nowhere actually has enough long enough stages where assistance/pedalling would make no difference in close enough proximity that holding a fair event like this could become a reaility. It may be workable in a fair way if for example timed stages were run chainless or batteryless (batteries disconnected for each stage rather than removed completely). still pretty stupid though, difficult to implement and ultimately so ultra- niche very few people would even want to do it.pedal assist in your gocarts/MX bikes

I believe what you are describing is electric motorcycle racing (although you would of course need a chain and much more powerful motors, i.e. real motorcycles and NOT Emtbs). That racing is certainly coming soon and with it a new set of rules for motors.

I agree it is really tough the see how Emtbs can be "raced" without some enforceable rules to level the playing field.

So why an Emtb race? I believe the niche appeals to two types: 1) motorcycle racers wanting something a little less dangerous and alot more convienent and 2) Mtb riders looking for a more technical challenge on XC trails. If you have ever raced motorcycles you know Emtbs requrie much less time and effort to maintain compared to a motorcycle and there are tons more areas to ride an Emtb. Emtb racing allows traditional Mtb riders to race on more technical trails (steep uphills and downhill courses too knarly for lightweight XC bikes) at speeds they just can't maintain by pedaling only. There seems to be a growing number of riders who fit this niche. Just saying.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just saying
Yeah. and fair enough.

TBF I've zero interest in discussing any purely motor driven racing here. I just don't see it as relevant.

The funny thing here is regular bikes are just as fast on technical gravity fed trails and very few Emtb riders can climb any more difficult terrain than a highly skilled fit regular mtb rider. The motor just allows us to ride with less effort/faster.

The recent tweedlove Emtb event here (I don't want to call it a race) had a few timed uphill sections with penalties for not dabbing or getting off. I know all these trails really well and all are pretty easily cleanable for me on a standard hardtail (slower obvs). The bar was clearly set low as the average standard of Emtb rider at the moment isn't exaclty at expert level. This will change and i suppose Emtb competition might evolve into something completely new. Who knows, eh?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The only reason the UCI did an EMTB race this year is to lock down their ownership/ovelording of EMTB for racing.

Thats why they have rushed out an event.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
If it has wheels, itll be raced. Its science. It could be really good. The race probably had more than a few sections itd be fun to watch. Hopefully we see some proper race footy. Id like it go the super tech up and down route with fair size jumps when its not tech or steep so 180ish travel bikes become necessary

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I like motocross because it is mostly rider skill/fitness that wins the day (motor cheating does affect the race but not very much).

Sadly, MX has been a hotbed for cheating forever. A certain company was running bikes up to 178cc in the 125 class at various times but mostly around 150cc. Their 250 was up to 290cc at one stage - usually upped for sand tracks but often at 265cc standard.

In 'production' road racing I have come across all sorts of cheating. In the 350 class a bike was protested and when pulled down was in fact 349.5cc - however it had an 8 speed gearbox & not the 6 as from the factory. Also came across several times production pipes wrapped around tuned racing chambers - only caught as a baffle fell out and the sound was much different to what it should have been.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
I can't remember who said "if you aren't cheating you're not trying hard enough"...but I have always hated that statement. No worse sport than CYCLING!!! If Emtb racing is at the highest level then there will have to be dropping testing too! Just part of it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles