Tyre recommendations Scotland

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
Got a cannondale moterra eq on way have replaced wheels with hope wheels fortus 30,

Also kept same brake disk and cassette so could swap out

I’m like 130kg will be doing Forrest type tracks in Scotland ( land of constant rain) any recommendations for tyres front and rear, will be fair amount of hills.

Not be doing insane downhill etc, the motor is Bosch if makes difference nM etc

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Well you will be using 2.4/2.5 or 2.6 tyres regardless of brand. If by forest trails you mean singletrack rather than fireroads/ gravel tracks, ....and given it is Scotland....grip will be a priority. At your weight I suspect you will need quite high pressures so I would go for tyres with good mud clearance and fairly aggressive tread pattern. Magic Mary, High Roller, Shortie, etc

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
Well you will be using 2.4/2.5 or 2.6 tyres regardless of brand. If by forest trails you mean singletrack rather than fireroads/ gravel tracks, ....and given it is Scotland....grip will be a priority. At your weight I suspect you will need quite high pressures so I would go for tyres with good mud clearance and fairly aggressive tread pattern. Magic Mary, High Roller, Shortie, etc
Saw Magic Mary recommended before what version would you recommend?
Super Gravity/trail/ground etc?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
Thanks - Are they pretty fast rolling?, or really matters less with emtb, how they in mud?
They’re not too bad, the DHR2 is a DD casing so it’s a bit heavier. I don’t find rolling resistance to be that big of a deal though with the e-bike, it may use a little more battery but I can’t tell a difference.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Assegai is a good all rounder but no good in muddy conditions because it cloggs up. I ride mostly forest trails. No rocks to speak of but plenty of roots and drops and jumps ( not huge). For Maxxis I find Exo+ fine for the front but always use a DD for the rear. I typically run 20psi front and 22 psi rear..........I think you may be 26f/28r.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Got a cannondale moterra eq on way have replaced wheels with hope wheels fortus 30,

Also kept same brake disk and cassette so could swap out

I’m like 130kg will be doing Forrest type tracks in Scotland ( land of constant rain) any recommendations for tyres front and rear, will be fair amount of hills.

Not be doing insane downhill etc, the motor is Bosch if makes difference nM etc
Hi I use anything and have tried all the ones you will hear being bandied about on here . I'm in Scotland out in all weathers. In my opinion unless you're doing serious stuff and wanting to hammer it you won't feel much difference in what you use. If you swallow all the hype you hear on here you could pay £70 a tire and no guarantees of any more grip. Good luck.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
I just picked up the new Schwalbe Albert radials, I’ll give them a go when I can actually get on the bike again. I want to compare them to my normal Assegai/DHR2 combo. All the reviews have said they have tons of grip so we’ll see.

JimmyBoy

Subscriber
Jun 7, 2019
UK
Something to consider is how difficult it is deal with a tyre trailside which has a gash in it too big to be sealed with sealant requiring insertion of an innertube.
I had such a trailside situation with a Maxxis Minion tyre which was relatively easy to deal with but I recently fitted a Hans Dampf to one of my bikes which was extremely difficult, not something I would want to do trailside and I read in other threads here how difficult Eddy Currents are to fit.
Anybody else had similar issues?

spurty30

Apr 16, 2024
Cairngorms, Scotland
Something to consider is how difficult it is deal with a tyre trailside which has a gash in it too big to be sealed with sealant requiring insertion of an innertube.
I had such a trailside situation with a Maxxis Minion tyre which was relatively easy to deal with but I recently fitted a Hans Dampf to one of my bikes which was extremely difficult, not something I would want to do trailside and I read in other threads here how difficult Eddy Currents are to fit.
Anybody else had similar issues?
Hi, I've just fitted a pair of eddy currents (29 x 2.60) on my cube. Didn't have any issues fitting them ( did have hans dampf's on before that as they were what the bike came with) I use wat
IMG_20241013_224047.jpg
IMG_20241013_224039.jpg
er / washing up liquid on the tire beads and they slip on no problem at all. Had first ride on them today and they are alot more grippy on the rocks and roots I've got up here in moray Scotland. Just my view but I've never had an issue with any schwalbe tyres.

IntenseScotia

Feb 6, 2024
Scotland
Kryptotals with Vitoria enduro inserts on mine in Scotland

If maybe go Argotal for thr deepest of winter mud rides but find the Krypto is fine for the majority of conditions. Tend to ride off piste Enduro stuff.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles